Author Topic: Groundloops  (Read 4877 times)

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
Groundloops
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2006, 06:12:57 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
Benny = strega

i don't care who he is, all i know is that he's irritating. all this moaning and he doesn't even play, he's a freeloader. what nerve, whining about a game you've paid nothing for at all. :rolleyes:

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
Groundloops
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2006, 06:14:02 PM »
pwned! by biggles
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Groundloops
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2006, 06:24:50 PM »
Originally posted by Golfer
If ya want to deal with all the things involved with flying:

go fly an airplane.

That is my dream.  Unfortuntately for me, and unfortunately for Mr. Biggles here who has to listen to me, it will not be happening.  Medical and financial problems conspire to keep me on the ground.  I want nothing more in this life than to fly real World War Two fighters, and I had thought until now that many of the people who play this simulator feel the same.  I see now that I was wrong.

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
Groundloops
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2006, 06:32:02 PM »
and you can benny, this game has the most amazing physics model, and the flight and gun dynamics are unbeaten anywhere, but groundloops?

come on, they're already modelled, perfectly fine if you ask me, but you want them to be as realistic as possible, even though they mean nothing in terms of gameplay, and are not worth working on at all?

a little realism is great fun in a game like this, but too much, then it just becomes checklists, problems and unlimited realism. no one wants to pay to play a game where you need to be totally realistic all the time.

you're striving to have groundloops 100% accurate. if you want 100% accuracy, next time you are shot down, please never takeoff ever again. please uninstall AH, and never post on these forums again, you are now dead.

if that doesn't sound too appealing, then please stop moaning about something as trivial as groundloop physics. you can groundloop any plane in AH, you just don't know how yet. total realism is a bad thing.

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Groundloops
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2006, 06:45:30 PM »
I miss the challenge of avoiding groundloops.  It's much like the challenge of avoiding stalls.  I agree with you, however, that this simulator has unparalleled physics and flight models.  The only thing that can remotely compare is Lock On, and that's for jet fighters.  I'll try to stop complaining.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Groundloops
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2006, 06:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Keiler
Benny Moore,
take a 109, trim everything to neutral and push throttle to 100%, lean back and enjoy. Many planes do that, but I know for sure the 109 series and the f4u do it when you dont compensate.

Matt

[edit] dont forget to turn OFF combat trim in flight settings, maybe you forgot to do that.

Well now just for kicks tried it in a Mk XIV.

Kicked off auto take off.
Set trims to neutral.
Just to make sure tail wheel wasn't locked , pushed forward on stick.
I advanced the throttle quickly to full mil .

And to my surprise it spun to to the right , dipped left wing , then broke the gear off.

Dang it benny I was relying on you to be accurate .  I thought you said there is to no ground loop effect in game.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Benny do you ever tire of being wrong?

Or maybe you use the hand holding gamey features that HT has given us.
*I am grateful for those features.  I wish to spend my time TnB and not constantly trimming my AC . TY HT:aok *

Ohh try setting trims to neutral and land with auto trim off Its a hoot .:p

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline plank

• Nickel Member
Groundloops
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2006, 06:55:55 PM »
I don't know about groundloops but Rocky Road Ice cream is much more delicious now.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Groundloops
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2006, 06:57:37 PM »
Just for kicks, grab a mildcat and try that. Since the gear is on the fuselage, and not the wings, you can pull both wings off and tear around at speeds up to 175, at which point the wheels come off. You can't roll the thing, it's like an uber jeep.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Groundloops
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2006, 07:00:59 PM »
Nitpicking inconsequential aspects of somebody else's work is a perfectly legitimate hobby.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Groundloops
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2006, 07:41:57 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
And to my surprise it spun to to the right , dipped left wing , then broke the gear off.

Dang it benny I was relying on you to be accurate .  I thought you said there is to no ground loop effect in game.

Bronk, you don't understand what a ground loop is.  It is not caused by the wing dipping, as was the case in your accident.  At any time before you had dipped your wing, you could have stopped the yaw by adding opposite rudder.  In a real groundloop, you cannot stop the yaw, even if the wing does not strike the ground.  A ground loop is caused by inertia due to the center of gravity being behind the wheels.  Once begun, it cannot be stopped.  But go on, keep mocking me because I know what a ground loop is and you do not.  Keep berating me for requesting that such a thing might be considered in a future incarnation of Aces High.  And no, I do not use automatic trim or any other feature that was not available in real warplanes.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Groundloops
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2006, 07:42:41 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
Benny = strega

HMMMM

Originally posted by Benny Moore
That is my dream.  Unfortuntately for me, and unfortunately for Mr. Biggles here who has to listen to me, it will not be happening.  Medical and financial problems conspire to keep me on the ground.  I want nothing more in this life than to fly real World War Two fighters, and I had thought until now that many of the people who play this simulator feel the same.  I see now that I was wrong.

Benny=Voss

:noid :noid :noid

Scorpion bite anyone.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Groundloops
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2006, 07:47:14 PM »
Bronk, you don't understand what a ground loop is.  It is not caused by the wing dipping, as was the case in your accident.  At any time before you had dipped your wing, you could have stopped the yaw by adding opposite rudder.  In a real groundloop, you cannot stop the yaw, even if the wing does not strike the ground.  A ground loop is caused by inertia due to the center of gravity being behind the wheels.  Once begun, it cannot be stopped.  But go on, keep mocking me because I know what a ground loop is and you do not.  Keep berating me for requesting that such a thing might be considered in a future incarnation of Aces High.  And no, I do not use automatic trim or any other feature that was not available in real warplanes.

The wing dipped  because of the spin to the right. AKA ground loop.

If I apply rudder to correct i AVOID the ground loop get it boyo.

Man your stubborn.

If only you were half as smart as you think.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Groundloops
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2006, 07:55:03 PM »
No.  A normal groundloop can actually occur without the wingtip touching the ground.  Did you know that?  Moreover, a real groundloop cannot be controlled with rudder even if the wingtip is not touching the ground.  You are pretending that not only is a groundloop caused by a wing dip, but that there is no groundloop without wing dipping.   You have no idea what you're talking about.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Groundloops
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2006, 08:05:51 PM »
No.  A normal groundloop can actually occur without the wingtip touching the ground.  Did you know that?  

yes

Moreover, a real groundloop cannot be controlled with rudder even if the wingtip is not touching the ground.  You are pretending that not only is a groundloop caused by a wing dip, but that there is no groundloop without wing dipping.

No . I am stating the wing dips because of the ground loop.

Big difference there big guy.

How stupid do you think people are .

Duuuhhh golly gee mister my wingy thing starting to go to the right . I'll just let her go and see what happens.

Or do you think as soon as a notice a drift i take action to avoid the spin?

Why you don't see many ground loops is because you expect them and take precautions to avoid.

Please feel free to keep posting . This is almost as funny as your 30 mm takes.

Ohh how long you been playing and if it's been a while what previous tags.

Bronk
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 08:08:19 PM by Bronk »
See Rule #4

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Groundloops
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2006, 08:12:43 PM »
Let me put this in as clear wording as possible.  If the simulator were correct in its groundloop modelling, the following scenario would be possible.  You are travelling down the runway at a fairly slow speed, and you allow your nose to swing several degrees to the left.  You compensate with rudder, but it is too late; in spite of your holding full right rudder, the nose continues to swing left until the aircraft has completed a one hundred and eight degree turn, and is now travelling slowly backwards for a few seconds.  The wingtip fortunately has not impacted the ground.  The wheel struts are plenty stressed, however.

As it is, that scenario is only possible in the simulator with an F-4U Corsair.  However, all taildragger aircraft should have this problem to some degree.  I understand if people are reluctant to see resources allocated to the modelling of an issue which they think is inconsequential.  However, it is inexcusable to claim that the simulator is correct in this regard.