Author Topic: Bf 109 video  (Read 4462 times)

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2007, 04:24:37 PM »
Here we go........................... ............................. ..................
............................. ............................. ............................. ......
............................. ............................. ............................. .........
............................. ............................. ............................a gain.

Strap in folks it's about to get bumpy.:)

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2007, 05:12:57 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
Here we go........................... ............................. ..................
............................. ............................. ............................. ......
............................. ............................. ............................. .........
............................. ............................. ............................a gain.

Strap in folks it's about to get bumpy.:)

Bronk

Yep sorry everyone, I should have kept my mouth shut

Originally posted by mussie
More lost on takeoff and landing than in the air....

CRAP!!!!!!

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2007, 07:19:16 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
Which part of the sentence "No Emil with a prop cannon ever served with the LW in actual squadron strength during the BoB" do you not understand?

Which part of " I really don't care what you say " do you understand?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2007, 09:05:17 PM »
You had a nice argument until you got to the conclusion.

Originally posted by Benny Moore
But there's one more thing.  The P-38 had Fowler flaps.  NACA (now NASA) tests show Fowler flaps to give approximately 30% more lift than conventional flaps, while having no increase in drag.

Bullflop. Even if they only extended straight back, without dropping, they'd create more surface drag. Not only do they increase surface area, they extend down. That creates drag. Lots of it. I don't care if the lift it generates is worth the drag, there's still a ****load of drag being made. Don't pretend to tell us otherwise.

With these flaps located nicely behind the twin Allisons, the P-38 enjoyed a considerable advantage over it's opponents.  So while the Me-109, due to its lower weight and higher drag, was better in the instantaneous turn, the P-38 would soon catch up and then surpass the 109 in sustained turning.

Yes, the P38 turned better than the 109. Why? Not necessarily wing loading. It was the counter-rotating props. The 38s commonly "mushed" through turns, well into the stall but feeling no ill effects because the torque was balanced evenly. The 38 pilots had -- what do you call it? The "mushroom"? No, the "clover-leaf"? Something. They'd mush through a stall and gain an angle, let up to keep from falling out of the sky for a minute, then mush through another stall. It let them "out turn" a large majority of opponents, but wasn't really a simple flat turn.

Now I'm not really in the group that says "Oh, the 109 was so super awesome!!!", nor am I in the group that says "Oh it was obsolete in 1939!". I'm in the group that says "You know what, you are both nuts, and neither of those arguments are valid!".

Why are you comparing it to a P38? Why not compare a 109E with a Spitfire1? Both pilots of both sides that got to fly both planes said they were nearly the same. They agree the spitfire could turn tighter if flown with determination, but tell that to the hundreds that died to 109Es in the BOB. Apparently not all of them were flown with determination.

Then go on to compare the 109F with the Spit Mk.V. One of the best aircraft matchups ever. A lot of the Fs were on the Eastern Front, but those in the West gave as good as they got. Consider the other planes that folks normally reference when comparing a 109 vs a whatever. They were no doubt manuverable enough to get kills on almost every plane in the allied arsenal, at some time or another.

Also, you might want to consider the conversation up to this point. Nobody's been saying "The 109 was uber!" or "it's way undermodeled!" or "it should turn 3x (5x?) tighter than it does in AH!!!". Nobody said that, leaving me wondering why you brought this up in the first place.

Forgive me if I'm out of place, but I felt I had to reply.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2007, 01:05:10 AM »
See Rules #4, #2, #5
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:02:27 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2007, 02:59:45 AM »
Also, you might want to consider the conversation up to this point. Nobody's been saying "The 109 was uber!" or "it's way undermodeled!" or "it should turn 3x (5x?) tighter than it does in AH!!!". Nobody said that, leaving me wondering why you brought this up in the first place.

He's just repeating what's been already said and over, Krusty, with most resident P-38 experts of AH agreeing to the premise that the P-38 can not match a contemporary 109 in pure turn performance. It's basically a heap of clever warps and strategical omissions in regards to various facts to bring up the P-38 into levels which it was not at.

For instance;

"Using just these figures, the sustained turn rates the sustained turn rates should be similar but the Me-109 should have a somewhat smaller turning circle because there is less inertia to overcome."

.. except, when you use "just those figures", there's no way the two planes should be "similar".

[b]Question[/b]: How could it be [i]"similar"[/i] when [i]"just those figures"[/i] state a clear advantage to the 109?
[b]Answer[/b]: He warped [i]"those figures"[/i] in a vague generalization that fits his taste.

He "generalizes" the engine thrusts of both planes to 2,000hp... which clearly is a problem. Both planes are 'overrated' to 2,000hp for 'simplicity', but considering the official boost levels for both engines the Allisons on the P-38 get a strange advantage in this '2,000hp simplification'. Pretty clever.

Another strategical omission of vital data; understating the typical combat load of the P-38 by about 2,500 pounds, whereas he overstates the combat load of the Bf109 by almost 1,000 pounds. The 109 takes the clear advantage in accelertion rate, climb performance, and powerloading with these factors. The 109 also has a much smaller wing loading. Yet, he reduces all the meaning of this by generalizing everything.

Therefore, to him, the two planes, using "just those figures", start from a equal point in turn performance... which means he can prove the superiority of the sustained turn by a P-38 by dragging in the drag and aspect ratio, and the flaps. Since both planes are about 'equal' in the turn performance with "just those figures" alone, an advantage in the drag, aspect ratio, and flap efficiency should prove that the P-38 is a clear winner.

Unfortunately, none of what he wishes being true, using the powerloading and wingloading alone the 109 is already at an considerable advantage. Whatever additional, critical factors that work towards the P-38's favor can only work as a means to make up for its loss, not a means to prove its overall superiority when it comes to turn performance.

The rest of his post is basically the same thing sort of thing all over. A lot of more fiddlin' around with numbers and concepts to uphold the 38 and downtrod the 109 in his statement. For example, he doesn't take into consideration that there were significant efforts to improve the drag characteristics of the 109s. Covering up the "warts and bumps" was already a common practice by 1944, not to mention that many 109s had its tail wheels retracting.

Or how about his inconsiderate use of the aspect ratio? The Spitfire has an aspect ratio of about 5.6, lower than both the P-38 and the 109, and yet it outturns both the 109 and the P-38 (unless he starts claiming the P-38 outturned Spits, too). This is due to the fact that the effect of the planform of the wing to a plane's perfromance is a much more complicated matter than just a comparison of general numbers, and yet he doesn't mention them. He just says the P-38 is an "8", and a 109 is a "6", so it means the P-38 is better. However, whatever the advantage the P-38 holds over the 109 in drag/lift relationship is more like to merely equalize its initial disadvantages of the pure physical. The advantage in overall excess thrust the 109 has is already enough to overcome the disadvantages in drag characteristics.

Or the flaps? A flap with 30% efficiency is a flap that generates 30% more lift than the amont of additional lift provided by a normal flap. It doesn't mean overall 30% advantage to the entire profile of the plane turning. While not as efficient as the fowlers the 109s had their own flaps, and pilots were prone to use it when deemed necessary - to increase camber, increase lift, containing the overall stall, and tightening the turn radius - during a slow speed engagement. So is a slab of metal sticking out the back of the wing enough to push a 17,000 lbs plane ahead of something half its weight during a turn? I don't think so.

Another factor which he is either forgetting or not mentioning, is the 109 has its own ace-in-the-hole when it comes to turning. If the P-38 has the fowlers, then the 109 has the slats. A significantly helpful device to the pilot in moments that required him to "ride along the stall", sufficiently increasing the CLmax and delaying the limits of the turn.

So if I were you Krusty, I wouldn't give it a serious glance. Like someone already mentioned, he's the mirror version of Isegrim to WW2 aviation boards, nothing more.

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
Bf 109 video
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2007, 04:15:29 AM »
Kweassa, I believe you can now say, CHECKMATE....or is it Crown me King?.....:D
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2007, 07:52:04 AM »
See Rules #5, #2
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:02:50 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2007, 01:14:55 PM »
Funny how a bunch of people who play a video game start callin others names cuz the others won't agree with what they say.

Look who's talking.  Are you trying to tell me your response towards the people noting you of your malinformation is supposed to be rational and inquisitive? I'm not the one who responds to other people with a;

" I really don't care what you say"

And the majority are Aeronautical Engineers who travel back in time to get the correct facts about aviation history, where would we be without all you time traveling dweebs?

At least a lot better than a single pic with the word "optional" in it, wouldn't you think?

Just read along the development histories of the early Bf109s and you'll easily notice that the installation of the motorkanone was a long on-going mission for the LW from the earliest prototypes until their final success with the Bf109F-1. It is a history of attempt after attempt, failure after failure, with the LW persistently trying to install a central cannon/machine gun firing through propeller shaft, again and again.

Each time the same problems would come up - 'vibration and overheating' - which indicated an inherent problem with the MG-FF and its mechanical priming, unfit for use as a hub cannon. Basic production layout included a possible installment of a central 20mm MG-FF, but almost every operational E-3 had their central cannons removed in service. If you are a combat pilot, you don't want to be flying around with faulty equipment, especially if its an overheating gun embedded in your engine block.

That's why, despite the extra firepower, the Bf109E-4 once more removed the 20mms prop cannon totally, and relied on just the two MGs on the cowl and two 20mms on both wings. If the E-3 didn't have any problems with the motorkanone, at least a problem perceived serious enough to cause doubts about its existance as even an "optional" armament, then the E-4 would have kept the central MG-FF as an option, since another long-term issue revolving around the 109 was always its lack of sufficient firepower.

If my word isn't enough for it, how about Tony Williams'?

Germany then went to the opposite extreme and selected the small, low-velocity Swiss Oerlikon FF 20 mm cannon for development. A modified version, the MG-FF, was put into proˇ©duction by Ikaria Werke Berlin, and entered Luftwaffe service. Initial attempts to fit this as an engine gun ran into reliability problems, so the Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3 of 1939 carried two MG-FFs in the wings and a pair of 7.92 mm MG 17 guns synchronised to fire through the propeller disc. However, many Bf 109s were still armed with four RCMGs at the start of the war.

- A. Williams, "CANNON OR MACHINE GUN?:The Second World War Aircraft Gun Controversy" -

So is this 'expert authority' enough to convince you that BoB-era Emils rarely, if ever, flew combat with a 20mm hub cannon?

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2007, 10:02:40 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:03:30 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2007, 11:38:15 PM »
deleted.

You know what, you're just full of it man. No wonder the good threads are no longer present.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 11:40:35 PM by Krusty »

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2007, 11:45:57 PM »
See Rule #2
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:03:55 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2007, 11:48:56 PM »
ot

Krusty, please take note that I am not arguing with you in this thread.
So the next time i disagree with you. Batty can't rant that i fight with you all the time.:D

I now return you to your regularly scheduled flame fest.

Carry on.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2007, 11:53:24 PM »
But there's one more thing.  The P-38 had Fowler flaps.  NACA (now NASA) tests show Fowler flaps to give approximately 30% more lift than conventional flaps, while having no increase in drag.  With these flaps located nicely behind the twin Allisons, the P-38 enjoyed a considerable advantage over it's opponents.  So while the Me-109, due to its lower weight and higher drag, was better in the instantaneous turn, the P-38 would soon catch up and then surpass the 109 in sustained turning.  Me-109 aces advocated scissors when fighting 38s, noting that the P-38 was capable of "appreciably tighter turns" and "out-turned [the 109] with ease."  The scissors, however, favored the Me-109's superior low-speed roll and instantaneous turn.  The idea was to keep changing direction; the P-38 pilot could not follow for a short while, hampered as he was by his airplane's weight and inferior low-speed roll.

So you say that from 0 to 800km/h and from 0 to 9g the 38 out turn the 109 ?

IMO a bit of context (or hard data) won't hurt.

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2007, 01:18:18 AM »