Author Topic: Bf 109 video  (Read 4466 times)

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2007, 06:25:36 AM »
Originally posted by 1K3
would game data count? ;)

http://gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php

Good point here - the charts / testing clearly shows the 109F & 109K out turning  the P38G and P38L in both the no flaps and full flaps settings.  Having flown the 109 quite a bit in AH, I can't think of too many battles vs 38's where the opponent resorts to trying to outturn me in the flat.  Most 38 drivers I know use the vertical and those damn flaps to chew on my tail...  ;)

EagleDNY
$.02

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2007, 07:28:22 AM »
See Rules #4, #5
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:04:55 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2007, 11:07:34 AM »
Here's lie number one. The amounts of horsepower for the engines on the two ships were roughly equal; that is, roughly 1850 (with two engines for the P-38, doubling it). Just because the "official" rating was much lower for the P-38 does not make it the standard rating, or even the correct one. I suppose you'd also claim that since the F-117 didn't "officially" exist for many years, there was no such aircraft until the time it was made official? Allison representitives travelling to various airbases in Europe discovered that crews were using Allison ratings, not U.S.A.A.F. ratings. Official German ratings were often higher than the ones used; U.S.A.A.F. ratings were usually lower.

* Two Allisons at war emergency rating of 1,600hp to a plane with 17,500lbs combat weight = 0.18hp/lbs
* Two Allisons at war emergency rating generalized at 2,000hp to a plane with 17,500lbs combat weight = 0.23hp/lbs

27% exaggeration in thrust:weight ratio in favor of the P-38L

* Single Daimler-Benz engine at war emergency rating of 1,800hp to a plane with 7,000lbs combat weight =  0.25hp/lbs
* Single Daimler-Benz engine at war emergency rating generalized at 2,000hp to a plane with 7,000lbs combat weight =  0.28hp/lbs

12% exaggeration in thrust:weight ratio in favor of the Bf109G-14

While I sincerely doubt you've actually calcualted this far, by dragging in field modification and unauthorized numbers for engine ratings at the 2,000hp figure for both planes you've neutered a 40% advantage in hp/lbs in favor of the 109, to a mere 20%. Basically, the larger the volume of exaggeration in available engine power, the smaller the gape between the P-38 and the 109 becomes.
 You've clearly led the people to believe that the two planes had no real differences in the weight and thrust ratio, which in truth, is not.

"Lie"? I'm not one using unofficial, 'field mod' numbers.

Here's lie number two. The P-38's normal combat weight was nowhere near 17,500 pounds as you claim. By the time most P-38s would have reached combat, they would have weighed less than 16,000 pounds. 15,000 is not a great stretch (that's a P-38L with 25% internal fuel).

Riiiiiight.... So how's a P-38 over German skies gonna RTB with 25% fuel left?

The P-38 has 25% internal fuel left, it sees a 109, and will slam throttle forward and accelerate to combat/emergency power - subesquently maximizing its fuel consumption. It uses up about 10% additional fuel during the combat, and now it has to turn back and head gome with 15% internal left?
 Or are you gonna start suggesting a very late-war scenario where the USAAF starts launching planes from inside of Germany, the P-38 remaining very close to the home base, burning 75% of its fuel doing nothing, and then meets a 109 somehow and shoots it down and returns home immediately in a 10 minute flight?

Besides, if the P-38s burn fuel en-route the target, the 109 also burns fuel waiting in position to intercept enemy fighters. This thing works both ways.

This is misleading. The Spitfire out-turned the Me-109 in spite of lower aspect ratio. Aspect ratio is one factor that improves turn, but it obviously is not the whole story.

But of course.

Yes, slats tighten the turn by raising the allowable angle of attack. However, the amount of lift generated is negligable, so they do not affect turn rate.

Oh, so now you suddenly use the term "turn rate", as opposed to the generic term "turn", which we were both using, that implied a comparison in general turn performance which more or less involved the two planes' rivalry in the radius of the turn.

Before you start calling me a "liar" again, let's refresh our memory with some of your own wordswhen you first claimed that the P-38 "outturns" 109s in this thread;

So while the Me-109, due to its lower weight and higher drag, was better in the instantaneous turn, the P-38 would soon catch up and then surpass the 109 in sustained turning. Me-109 aces advocated scissors when fighting 38s, noting that the P-38 was capable of "appreciably tighter turns" and "out-turned [the 109] with ease."[/u].

With this established, I don't think you can escape from the fact that the situation you referred to as 'outturning' clearly indicates a superiority in turn radius; two planes either at, or under, the corner speed, in a contest of turn maneuvering striving to achieve tightest turn possible.

A "turn" is a function of climb that a plane 'climbs into' the direction of the turn set by the bank angle. High AoA increases drag, which requires the plane to use additional thrust to overcome and successfully 'climb into' the specified direction. The slats do not provide lift, and therefore does not increase turn performance  per se.

However, it raises the CLmax of the given planform by a signifcant amount and therefore, enlarges its stall angle and allows a plane to maintain a higher AoA. Therefore, when a 109 starts turning, and the leading edge slats pop out, the plane can pull a higher AoA during the turn. The turn radius is tightened.

Add to that the use of 109's own flaps, relatively high advantage in weight/thrust ratio (which provides the plane with excess thrust can be used to overcome the high drag initiated by the higher AoA, which is made possible by the leading edge slats), and we have a plane that is everybit as capable as the P-38 when it comes to turns.

Question: So why would a 109, with its own set of advantages when it comes to tightening the turn radius, be inferior to the P-38?

Answer: It isn't inferior at all.

That's why you've crept back into the ambiguous realm of the 'turn rate', where so many dynamic factors work into the factor that it is almost impossible to directly compare a 'turn rate' of the plane during combat. In effect, you've backed out from the original (implied) claim that associated the turn radius of the two planes.

If it is any solace, many AH P-38 experts already utilizes various methods to gain superior turn rate according to various situations to outmaneuver the more tighter turning 109s with ease and grace.

I note that you don't accuse me of being un-objective, or wrong; you accuse me of being dishonest. I find this quite normal given your own complete lack of scruples when it comes to your own favorite ship. You compare me with Kurfurst? Bah! Whether or not I am right, or objective, I am not a liar.

According to my definition, withholding evidence, warping the context, or any other such attempts that manipulate people to believe something that is not right counts as "lying".

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2007, 11:15:52 AM »
PWNED by a "Professor":aok :t

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2007, 12:35:59 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:05:42 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2007, 12:37:35 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
ps) Man, am I good or what...

It may seem that way, when you're standing on 2 legs and holding the club. Think about the poor seal, it just didn't have a chance.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2007, 12:45:06 PM »
It may seem that way, when you're standing on 2 legs and holding the club. Think about the poor seal, it just didn't have a chance.

Not when my brain weighs twice the weight of the baby seal. It was actually pretty difficult to stand upright and start clubbing it, you know..

:D

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2007, 01:54:55 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3
PWNED by a "Professor":aok :t

Jep, well said

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2007, 03:39:05 PM »
Kweassa can you tell us where you're from (at least)?;)

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2007, 07:16:36 AM »
* Two Allisons at war emergency rating of 1,600hp to a plane with 17,500lbs combat weight = 0.18hp/lbs
* Two Allisons at war emergency rating generalized at 2,000hp to a plane with 17,500lbs combat weight = 0.23hp/lbs

27% exaggeration in thrust:weight ratio in favor of the P-38L

It's no exaggeration.  Those power settings were used in combat for both aircraft.  And 1850 horsepower was pretty standard for both.  And you're again using the takeoff weight; the only time a P-38 could possibly fight a 109 under those conditions is if the P-38 was fully fueled and the base was attacked.

by dragging in field modification and unauthorized numbers for engine ratings at the 2,000hp figure for both planes you've neutered a 40% advantage in hp/lbs in favor of the 109, to a mere 20%. Basically, the larger the volume of exaggeration in available engine power, the smaller the gape between the P-38 and the 109 becomes.

Again, it's not an exaggeration.  And yes, the higher the rating the better the P-38 does compared to the Me-109.  That's why the pilots and ground crews used the Allison ratings instead of the U.S.A.A.F. ratings.

"Lie"? I'm not one using unofficial, 'field mod' numbers.

Using "field modification" ratings which were used widely, perhaps even more than the "official" ratings, especially when stating that they're not official, is not at all dishonest or lying.

Oh, so now you suddenly use the term "turn rate", as opposed to the generic term "turn", which we were both using, that implied a comparison in general turn performance which more or less involved the two planes' rivalry in the radius of the turn.

Right, we're comparing turning ability between the two aircraft.  This includes instantaneous turn (at which the Me-109 was superior) and sustained turn (at which the P-38 was superior).  It goes for both turning circle and turn rate.

According to my definition, withholding evidence, warping the context, or any other such attempts that manipulate people to believe something that is not right counts as "lying".

... None of which I have done.  I hope that you will soon learn the definition and value of honesty.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 07:23:06 AM by Benny Moore »

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2007, 08:39:50 AM »
The top 3 aces (of any conflict) all flew 109's exclusively. Of the 20 top aces (of any conflict) 12 flew 109's exclusively.

Nuf said.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2007, 08:58:39 AM »
Originally posted by Viking
The top 3 aces (of any conflict) all flew 109's exclusively. Of the 20 top aces (of any conflict) 12 flew 109's exclusively.

Nuf said.

Hardly. :rolleyes:

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2007, 09:05:30 AM »
I now know how doctor frankenstien felt....

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2007, 11:35:32 AM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
The only Me-109s that were good turners are the ones in simulators and in the minds of modern admirers of Nazi weaponry.  Armchair "experts" who play aerial combat simulators and games look at one figure - wingloading.  If they're relatively intelligent armchair experts, they'll also consider powerloading.  However, the actual equations are quite complex.  There are four factors which must be equally considered, not two.  Lift, drag, thrust, and weight ... didn't anyone go to ground school?

When considering the arguments in this thread, you might also want to try a few history classes and look up what models of each aircraft were available at what time.  When the US entered the War in Dec '41, the primary P38 model they had deployed was the P38E, which had a pair of 1,225hp Allison V1710s and weighed in at 12,200lbs empty and 15,800 loaded (according to warbirdsresourcegroup).  

Comparisons to the contemporary 109 (the 109F, with a 1,300hp DB601, and weighing in at a little over 6,000lbs loaded) in this case might yield somewhat different conclusions as to which aircraft was the better turner.  

Later on, as the 109s were continually up-engined and up-gunned to deal with high altitude bombers, their manueverability obviously suffered.  At the same time, the P38s were up-engined and given a new flap arrangement, boosted ailereons, etc. which improved them considerably over the early models.

If you compare a 109G14 or K4, which were arguably the least maneuverable models, to the P38L and then try to make that blanket argument that I have quoted above, I can see why many folks here might not agree with you.

EagleDNY
$.02

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2007, 12:00:58 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
Hardly. :rolleyes:

Bronk

Meaning?