Author Topic: AH mentors...  (Read 10764 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: AH mentors...
« Reply #285 on: July 31, 2008, 12:11:22 PM »
I was pretty much self taught.  But i do owe a lot to a multiple amount of players...the one that sticks out the most and who i owe the most to is SABER208.  He was my first CO i ever had, the ArcAngles 208th Cmbt Grp.  I was recruited the very first day i was online in AH.  SABER took me in and he and the rest of his squad filled me in on the basics and got my start in AH2.  They are the reason for my addiction, i #S# them  :salute

Banshee7 (ghost51, Ghost208, GOST208)
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #286 on: July 31, 2008, 12:14:22 PM »
I was taught by the ah god himself 101000100
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
« Reply #287 on: July 31, 2008, 01:47:55 PM »
The first time I subscribed (GameID Gotcha2) it was 68KO! (R.I.P. Bill)
two gameids later it was ssdruid and DR7 in GVs and Cavalry in fighters
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life
If you keep ignoring "Wife Ack" it will go away.

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #288 on: July 31, 2008, 02:07:09 PM »
Self-taught... never even read Shaw... still haven't, lol, but over time I casually surfed "ACM" sites to put names to the actual manuevers I had already been doing. I've never been hesitant to push the envelope in all my rides, or take chances (still, 3 v 1 doesn't need to become a freekin' castrati hordelet v 1 yanno?) even if I often got burned, something which I still do. I'm not a true furballer- I'm more of a lone wolf on the fringes, trying to drag victims away from the fur, or interdiction near enemy bases.  Flying with and against better players in varying situations has been a boon, as well.

I've been relatively blessed with an innate sense for SA (I *do* see the guy who's probably gonna kill me, but more than likely I couldn't get out of the way in time, or wanted to get a kill,) manuevering and in RL i'm a decent shot, but my AH gunnery has always been mediocre (can we say nose bounce at lower speeds?), fortunately for ya'll. 

But the one piece of advice (given way back in AW3 on Gamestorm by KAK3) that helped me most was about lead turn in the merge.. starting *before* we actually crossed.. and the timing involved with various aspects of net-lag, i.e., starting the move when the other guy was still about 1.2k away.  This has been reduced somewhat with better overall internet connections by a few hundred yards, around 800/1k-ish.  And with HOs enabled, it's safer for the most part than getting too close in.

If we all had perfect zero lag, or in the DA with someone i knew wouldn't HO, I'd start the move as close as 300-500yds away.

I still use(d) this concept in the DA when I had people start their zoom up around 1k out while I went  into a flat turn -  allowing them to roll, spot and drop back down in the slot with a better guns solution - in range as opposed to out of position.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 02:18:57 PM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #289 on: July 31, 2008, 02:22:44 PM »
Who were yours?  The peeps who taught you the most about the game?

I am just bored with all the other threads right now!
Mark

:aok

I was a h2h'r, (under the name Trigger2, later to be Trig17th, and known in the MA as TAsTrig, an aerofighter and 81st Krewsader) I learned alot on my own, learned the basics without any help.
Then TA57 had his server, and so did Xena.
Both of these servers had some of the best h2h pilots (some you might know... ub6, spacy TA57x etc...) and I got my butt handed to me on a regular basis.
TA57x taught me some of the basic engagement stuff, shot me down many times in the name of 'you're learning' xD and gave me ride-alongs in his f4u-4...

Then once I got more and more experianced, and became one of the 'better' h2h pilots (still not a spacy TA or ub6...) I tried to start teaching some of the people who asked for it.

I picked up the fm2 for a while, and later picked up, and kept, the f4f, and I started teaching a guy how to use it in Xena (which, I later learned was the 17th Air Warriors) server, and got asked to join the 17th as a trainer.

So I taught quite a few guys in there, and had a blast with it. I tried to pick up the f4u-1c but I tried to fly it like a -4, and Xena noticed this, she taught me how to use the -1c right, she gave me the basics of throttle control, flaps, and rudder.

F4u-1c was my h2h plane from then on, and I got decent in it, a few squadies and I would constantly fight, them in spixteens, me in my chog :] I'd usually get owned, but, hey, it was fun.

Then Tex (Yeah, David Lee Hill) came back from a LONG break from the 17th, and during one of the practices, he showed me the loops of the p40 and lghey :]

I started in the MA after h2h was shut down, and joined TAs Aerofighters Inc, all of us are old h2h'rs, and we showed that h2h'rs had a spot in the MA too, but I still had alot to learn...

So...
TA took me out again in the f4u's
Spacy the zeke
Orange in the 109 (G series)
Pieper/Earshot showed me the p38
And I taught myself my p47, b24, and the spitty [:
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #290 on: July 31, 2008, 02:37:16 PM »
Bighorn, batfink, dedalos, and stang have helped me in the DA a couple times.  Other than that I've just picked up random things and "monkey see monkey do'd" while flying with squadmates.  The 80th and Bighorn have probably helped my flying more than anything else.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #291 on: July 31, 2008, 03:05:58 PM »
Bighorn, batfink, dedalos, and stang have helped me in the DA a couple times.  Other than that I've just picked up random things and "monkey see monkey do'd" while flying with squadmates.  The 80th and Bighorn have probably helped my flying more than anything else.
you can fly  :O
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #292 on: July 31, 2008, 03:16:07 PM »
you can fly  :O

So I exaggerated a little bit.  They usually just tow me behind stogey as bait.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #293 on: July 31, 2008, 03:18:04 PM »
So I exaggerated a little bit.  They usually just tow me behind stogey as bait.
Even this i do not believe, you airborn??? TravistY! I want photographic evidence
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #294 on: July 31, 2008, 03:37:49 PM »
Then TA57 had his server, and so did Xena.
Both of these servers had some of the best h2h pilots

*cough*BS*cough*....

These guys only cherry picked, diving to the deck, the second they get killed reupping at the 8k start field, diving down 500+MPH at the con that just killed them and suicidally doing this over and over.

You dared keep your alt and fly well and they would fly off in the other direction and come back at 20k+ and repeat the pattern.

TAs room was one of the worst. Unforunately, at the time you were there it was one of the few regular rooms.

Teaching new folks bad habits IMO.

Every time I went into those rooms I grew tired instantly of the same-ol'e,-same-ol'e. Still, the fact that he RAN a room, period, is a good thing regardless of his setup so kudos to him for that.

Offline zuii

• Copper Member
« Reply #295 on: July 31, 2008, 04:16:57 PM »
Adonai got me started and still helps out to this day!

<S> Adonai!

zuii
39th FS "Cobra in the Clouds"

Empress Zhang: "I love cannons"
(it was not all fun and games inside the forbidden city)

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #296 on: July 31, 2008, 06:23:53 PM »

*cough*BS*cough*....

These guys only cherry picked, diving to the deck, the second they get killed reupping at the 8k start field, diving down 500+MPH at the con that just killed them and suicidally doing this over and over.

You dared keep your alt and fly well and they would fly off in the other direction and come back at 20k+ and repeat the pattern.

TAs room was one of the worst. Unforunately, at the time you were there it was one of the few regular rooms.

Teaching new folks bad habits IMO.

Every time I went into those rooms I grew tired instantly of the same-ol'e,-same-ol'e. Still, the fact that he RAN a room, period, is a good thing regardless of his setup so kudos to him for that.

There were a few dweebs who did that, and that was Xena's perferred style [:

But TA Space and UB6 (UB6 and Spacy flew zekes... not the best BnZ imo :)) were stall fighters, and TA57 was usually on the deck (eh, 2.5-4k.)
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*