Author Topic: AH mentors...  (Read 10763 times)

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
AH mentors...
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2007, 03:58:04 PM »
Knuckels
Robo
Maxius
Jagerbob
Siwiki
Geepel
Daddyack
Chappy

and I'm almost afraid to say it,

Doobs

I fell in with JG44 within the first couple of days of playing and all those guys helped me out learning the game. Really miss the old days of the whole squad going into the DA and fighting. That was where we were really able to put the edge on.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
AH mentors...
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2007, 03:58:49 PM »
WldThing
Nomak
Souless (aka Tequilla)

many more, but those 3 showed me the most by far.
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
AH mentors...
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2007, 04:21:28 PM »
Bigmax
Hblair
Regurge
KNIFE (I don't know if any of you would remember him though)

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
AH mentors...
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2007, 05:01:29 PM »
occasional run-ins with certain people helped me pick up a few tricks..

BigMax
WMLute
TC
TwinBoom (Blixen back then)
Vne
blukitty (ManeTMP back then)
Fester
SkyRock (told me I must turn stall limiter off)
68Falcon (example of how to carry yourself in-game and on boards)

Offline Anyone

• Copper Member
AH mentors...
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2007, 05:03:33 PM »
Ripsnort, Swoop, Caverlear and Mrpluto are my main teachers

dsrtrat, busher, ghi and many other Hornets also added flavors to the mix. Fester helped with 262 tips.... (cost me alot of perks that day lol)

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
AH mentors...
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2007, 05:26:46 PM »
Paul of Fate was the first explaining me the merge and stuff. Interesting thing is that Paul was 14 at the time.

The trainers in TA (especially Ren) explained to me the E, angles, gunnery...

Found my way into DA with my squady Whatstis, where we hit into Estes and Sniper. These two thought us the finer points of A2A combat. They also recruited us and so we ended with the Muppets.

There I've learned from the guys like Wldthing, Estes, Sniper, Kappa, XtremeJ, Urchin, Fester, Dutchie, etc (all amazing guys in terms of skills).

Shortly after I joined Muppets they kinda fell apart, so I used to spend my time in TA and DA mostly. Ghosth recruited me for his new squad venture where I've met Wilbus. Learned from him as well.

Then I quit altogether, came back after several months and all I was doing was dueling in DA and occasionally helping the new players in TA.

Somehow in DA I was hitting into most of the top sticks (Redd, leviathn,  Wadke, Furball, Nomak, Wax, TW9, Badboy, Morpheus, Stang, Flyboy, Bigmax and countless others) and each of those fights helped me in some way to improve.

Then, there was a new generation of talented players who started beating on me, like Creton, Dedalos, Batfink, Biggless, Skyrock, Superdud, Megadud, Platano, Schatzi, Hemp, Skychimp, Saskid, Catfish, Sonic, 39158 and many more. Some of those already made the fame, some will shortly...

They all were pushing my old bones to the limits and most often than not I couldn't keep up, but I always learned something.

So, lately I confined myself to TA again. Still learning from top trainers like Widewing, Murdr, Mace, TC, Schatzi and others, having fun at the same time.

It never ends, you learn as long as you fly.

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
AH mentors...
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2007, 05:49:01 PM »
Originally posted by 2bighorn
Paul of Fate was the first explaining me the merge and stuff. Interesting thing is that Paul was 14 at the time.

The trainers in TA (especially Ren) explained to me the E, angles, gunnery...

Found my way into DA with my squady Whatstis, where we hit into Estes and Sniper. These two thought us the finer points of A2A combat. They also recruited us and so we ended with the Muppets.

There I've learned from the guys like Wldthing, Estes, Sniper, Kappa, XtremeJ, Urchin, Fester, Dutchie, etc (all amazing guys in terms of skills).

Shortly after I joined Muppets they kinda fell apart, so I used to spend my time in TA and DA mostly. Ghosth recruited me for his new squad venture where I've met Wilbus. Learned from him as well.

Then I quit altogether, came back after several months and all I was doing was dueling in DA and occasionally helping the new players in TA.

Somehow in DA I was hitting into most of the top sticks (Redd, leviathn,  Wadke, Furball, Nomak, Wax, TW9, Badboy, Morpheus, Stang, Flyboy, Bigmax and countless others) and each of those fights helped me in some way to improve.

Then, there was a new generation of talented players who started beating on me, like Creton, Dedalos, Batfink, Biggless, Skyrock, Superdud, Megadud, Platano, Schatzi, Hemp, Skychimp, Saskid, Catfish, Sonic, 39158 and many more. Some of those already made the fame, some will shortly...

They all were pushing my old bones to the limits and most often than not I couldn't keep up, but I always learned something.

So, lately I confined myself to TA again. Still learning from top trainers like Widewing, Murdr, Mace, TC, Schatzi and others, having fun at the same time.

It never ends, you learn as long as you fly.

Bighorn and sniper make me proud. :cry  all grown up and can outfly their teacher now. :)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
AH mentors...
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2007, 05:55:29 PM »
For me the list is too long. I've flown with some great people/pilots in the 2 squads I've been in for all these years. But I think those that I would mention are those who post films...

AK-AK
Murdr
Killnu
Batfink
wildthg
creton

There are many more, but those I got off the top of this old dogs brain. Films I think are a huge asset in this game. Too many people don't have the time to work with others all the time, and films are a great way to get a good start. Get some films and watch them, study them learn what ya can, then hook up with one of the trainers, or "aces" who'll take the time to help ya. It gives you a good base to start from as well as gives you the "questions" you really want answered.

Knowing and being able to express what you want to learn helps the trainers, which helps you.

Keep the films coming !!! Creton and Killnu's fights in the 109's recently have me flying the G2 more often.... ummm don't any one tell Corky, he might kick me out of the SAPP !!!   :cry

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
AH mentors...
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2007, 06:00:46 PM »
Never had one. Picked up a few tips here and there. Some fellas from the 56th showed me some neat jug tricks back in AH1 but most is learned by trial and error. It shows :D

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
Mentor(s)
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2007, 06:01:37 PM »
Dec, 2005---signed up for free trial, downloaded game. calibrated stick and jumped in.  Took me about 5 minutes to realize I needed HELP.  Found the Training arena and an outstanding gentlemen going by the call sign S2F.

S2F or "Sugar" as I came to know him took much time to advise, and orient me to the game.  Set me up in my first squad so I could get practical experience and gennerally took me under his wing.

For tactical ACM and flight help...My friend and CO, GuthrRal would top the list.

Salute to both, "Sugar" and "GR". :aok
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
AH mentors...
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2007, 06:11:24 PM »
Originally posted by Estes
all grown up and can outfly their teacher now. :)

Estes, that is where you get satisfaction  & enjoyment, to see them exel further..... least it gives me a sense of fullfillment when I get my 6 waxed by people I helped months or years before...

I have to go back to that other sim to find my mentors: WrW, JD, Chick, Jherig, Snowman, Boozr, Badz, Mute, Dragn, Rapier, Bug, Stimpy, Mir  and others.......

I will always owe them alot for showing me the ropes..... ~SALUTE~

here in AH, all my Damned Squaddies helped each other get up to speed when switching over in the H2H rooms

people I think about here from past are Ripsnort, BigMax, Lemur, amongst others, also when I first tryed AH in beta  while playing that other sim....( btw TC has had 3 different versions or ressemblance of TC as a gameid since AH went open beta, along with 2 unknown old gameids he used so no one could see how NOOB he was :D in his Aces High begining)

the community here is RICH with knowledge from all the people posted in this thread........this community is truely blessed
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Dawggus

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.nightmares.org
AH mentors...
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2007, 06:24:10 PM »
kid and SOUP (4510) were the first to help me when I started AW ten or so years ago.  kid let me score my first kill against him, his B-17 vs. my Hog.  I emptied my whole clip into him from dead six, he didn't fire a shot, I'll never forget it ;).  Then of course all the Nightmares , , , , , and were pretty active in the FR Arena at the time, I'm sure I missed a few Mares.  Plus, joining Snowman's Training Corps exposed me to lots of excellent pilots.

Cya Up!

Dawg

Offline Casper1

• Nickel Member
AH mentors...
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2007, 06:28:16 PM »
HB555 - taught me the basics
Genrl - taught me how to level bomb
SOLARMAX - taught me SA and wingman tactics
LnWlf (WHERE ARE YOU MAN?!?!) - taught me the most about the game...call it advanced basics plus attack/Jabo
CHAPPY - taught me alot about furballin
wt54/JEBUS (WHERE'D YOU GO?!?!) - taught me how to trash talk and mess with ppl
Maxius - taught me how to furball some more
doobs - taught me how to fly FSO and how to fly well in corsairs
knuckels - taught me about score whoring and the finer points of GV'ing
1177 - welcomed me into the squad i will probably never leave
crowMAW - helped me learn the art of Pony domination
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 07:36:24 PM by Casper1 »

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
AH mentors...
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2007, 06:55:20 PM »
When I first started flying Aces High, I was especially thick-headed and stubborn, determined never to ask for help. I was going to master this on my own come hell or high water.

In retrospect, that was complete baloney. Every time I fought a skilled pilot, I learned. I learned because I often lost and losing never sat well with me. I paid close attention to guys like Drex, Leviathn and Fester. I watched lots of their films and recorded my own, watching them with a critical eye.

These days, I have lots of opportunities to keep building on what skills I do have. This comes from dueling with players like Bighorn, Nomak, Batfink, Sonic, Platano, Dmonslyr and several others. These guys make you work, force you to push harder and think several maneuvers ahead. You learn to plan your fight, not just react.

I've learned from complete n00bs, who do remarkably unpredictable things out of pure ignorance. They had no clue that what they just did was not doable. I guess that someone forgot to tell that some things are impossible.

I suppose that my mentors were everyone that played the game.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline 39158

• Zinc Member
AH mentors...
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
Bighorn and Creton