Author Topic: Hog Clip (MtnMan)  (Read 317 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Hog Clip (MtnMan)
« on: April 05, 2007, 04:59:47 PM »
Here is a 1 on 2 hog on hog clip from a good buddy....

I'm sure he'll fill in some play by play when he gets a chance.....

F4U clip

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Hog Clip (MtnMan)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 06:40:15 PM »
Thanks for posting this for me Snaphook!

I started the film a little late.  I had two F4U's on my six after I made a kill, and when I decided to try the 2v1 I started the film.  We are all about the same speed, with one of them just a bit higher than me.  A quick look around to make sure it wouldn't be a 3v1, and I tried for the overshoot.  I slowed down a bit to make sure I could turn inside them, and then after the overshoot I went after the F4U that went up and wanted to fight more in the verticle.  Fortunately for me the other Hog killed E by going down, and then flat-turning.  I also didn't have to devote too much effort to watching him as he kept passing through my forward view and I could tell he didn't have a shot.  I was not thrilled to see the F6F coming near the end, but he either didn't see me, or else didn't want to fight.  Another thing worth noting is that after I broke for my overshoot, if one or both planes had zoomed up and retained his E I would have been left low and slow against greater numbers, higher E, and an alt advantage.  I don't generally do well in scenarios like that.  Against one I'm ok, but two is bad.

I'm not sure whether the two hog pilots were communicating or not.  They may have been competing for the kill rather than working as a team.  The film does show how the pilot that tried to stay high effectively kept his partner from helping.  It also shows the importance of killing the most dangerous opponent first.  If I had gone down after the lower plane I would have set myself up to be killed.  Another thing to note is that all my effort is devoted to out-turning my opponents, and not to taking low % shots.  I only shoot when I can hit them.  That way I don't waste E pulling too hard shot I can't make, or risk an over-shoot by pulling lead.  There is one point where I could have pulled hard for a shot, but if I would have missed I likely would have died.  I would have left myself hanging, or flopped, and ended up losing angles on the higher plane.  If you bleed E to get the overshoot and to be able to turn inside, you need to manage your E so you don't run out.  Especially if you have a second plane to worry about.  Obviously flaps and some throttle control help as well...

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson