Author Topic: Master of Your Domain!  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Master of Your Domain!
« on: April 24, 2007, 07:51:05 AM »
At the risk of surmonizing I would like to discuss, as the title suggests, taking personal responsibility for outcomes. As we get an ever-increasing influx of newer players, especially those in the younger demographic, it becomes increasingly important, as veterans, to do our part to instill in them some of that accrued community culture. Part of that culture includes the epiphany of sorts bestowed upon us through experience whereby we realize that everything that happens to us in game is a direct result of decisions we ourselves make at critical junctures during a flight. To put this more succinctly, we are all 100% responsible for what happens to us, noone else, under any circumstances, ever..

Don't believe that?

I suggest in the hanger we are all equal, potential energy waiting to burst forth into the MA. We all have the same planes to choose from (relative perk balances notwithstanding). We all have total control over what country we fly for, whom we fly with, where we fly, how we fly, when and even if we fly. The moment we select a plane and take-off the outcome of that flight becomes the sum of all factors resulting from every decision we make starting with plane selection. If you get gang-banged, vulched, HO'd, rammed, cherry picked, bounced or just plain outflown, it's a direct result of decisions you made starting with which plane you chose and the manner in which you chose to fly it.

I know that is a tough pill to swallow, and those who haven't had their epiphany will still be mired in the murky sea of denial that is what I affectionately term , "The hapless victim syndrome", but it is true. There are no hapless victims in AH, if you truly believe you are the victim of some dastardly tactic, scheme, manuever, legitimate or not, you are in denial..plain and simple. To put this even more harshly, every negative outcome you experience in the game is entirely self-inflicted...

Once people accept that they are the master of their own virtual fate in the skies, certain things will start to happen. There will be alot less whining, there will be more mutual respect, there will be a greater sense of purpose with each flight, and ultimately, if understood by a great enough percentage of the population, a much more positive gaming environment for everyone. Therefore, everyone will have alot more fun and we will atrract and retain more new players/customers.

I think the problem and thus the impediment to attaining the epiphany for some is a stubborn reluctance to place value on the quality of their experience on the individual level of each flight all the way to how they approach the game in general. When goals are set that have nothing to do with the intrinsic value of each flight there is no culpability and mutual responsibility for actions and resultant outcomes. That is the biggest difference that seperates this genre of the past to that of today. Each flight is sacred if one truly quests to grow, in terms of self-fullfillment, in this genre. Each flight is an unique opportunity to learn and develop skills thru infinite variety of experience. By not accepting responsibilty for outcomes you are robbing yourself of your fleeting chance to learn from the decisions you make and the subsequent carefull observation of the insuing cause and effect relationships of those decisions and outcomes..Please don't be a perennial victim...Make a conscious decision to be The Master of Your Domain!

Zazen
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 09:24:04 AM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
Master of Your Domain!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 07:54:21 AM »
:p
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Master of Your Domain!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 08:13:27 AM »
my vote for post of the month...

BRAVO... well said
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
Master of Your Domain!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 08:22:36 AM »
Didnt have my coffee B4

Nice post
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Master of Your Domain!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 09:31:31 AM »
Nice one Zaz !!!

For those who have a limited attention span.

"In Aces High ... You have no one or no thing to blame except yourself."
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
Ownership
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 09:35:56 AM »
Would hope to see many replies endorsing this line of thought.  Well done Z. :aok
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
Master of Your Domain!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 09:57:24 AM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Nice one Zaz !!!

For those who have a limited attention span.

"In Aces High ... You have no one or no thing to blame except yourself."

Thank You Slap......Im all out of Ritalin

Zaz!....where ya been bud. Haven't seen ya around.

:aok
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
Master of Your Domain!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 10:01:52 AM »
:aok

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
Master of Your Domain!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 10:05:47 AM »
Damn Zaz....how long did you work on that????:lol

Just bustin your balls a bit, but VERY well said.

I vote for this to be a sticky, maybe even have it on the log in screen. Of course some folks might need a dictionary to understand some of the big words, but Zaz you are spot on with this my friend.

Well done.:aok
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Master of Your Domain!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 10:07:51 AM »
I'll be more than happy to read it into an mp3 file for the reading impaired :)
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Master of Your Domain!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 10:09:52 AM »
Well as a representative of the "just havin fun" crowd, I agree that its good to learn from each fight. But to me that means doing the best you can with a given plane, setting up advantaged, disadvantaged, and even fights. This usually means dying alot at first. But without the dying, and knowing why you died, you aint learnin.

I can understand how some like to stay alive, be it personal preference or pursuit of rank, but I will not let my virtual life get in the way of a good fight, be it one on one, disadvantaged, or grossly outnumbered. To me it just isnt fun staying fast and getting 5 or more kills and rtb. I'd much rather get 3 kills that was hard fought, in a situation I should'nt have gotten out of, even if I died trying.

But to get to that point, you have to get in and get dirty, LEARN from each one, but above all push it to the limit.

~AoM~

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Master of Your Domain!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 10:16:11 AM »
It's all about the fight.
       Zazen makes a good point for personal responsibility.  Too many in this game are so worried about their score or better yet, their chance at getting their name in lights, that they stagnate the game with an anti-fight slime.  I was at the furball in LW blue yesterday for bish first then rooks and was amazed at how many were just hovering just outside of the conflict line waiting to cherrypick.  If one just logs on to cherry pick and then states that everyone who gets cherried ought to have better SA, then they have done the "fight" a disservice.  The simplest thing to do in this game is to avoid putting yourself in harms way by staying above everything else in the furball and only picking planes that have no chance of avoiding or fighting back.  It goes without saying that this is the smart way to fly if you want to kill without fighting, but this game wasn't made for everyone to cherry pick, it was made for fighting.  Certain types of fighters are forged in these situations.  Some you never actually get to fight because they are never in the fight, mostly above it waiting.  Now, don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with taking up a boom and zoom plane and cherry picking every now and then, but for that to be your MO every moment your're logged on is definitely lame!  I believe that actually fighting a co-alt co-E fight is much more rewarding than 1000 cherry picks.  Let's not condone "flying smart" to the point where it adversely affects what this game was made for, "dogfighting"!  I mean if we all flew to where we would never be in danger of getting shot down, then everyone would be at 30K flying away from each other!:aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Master of Your Domain!
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 10:16:35 AM »
Well, the part about each flight being sacred might have been a little much but I do agree.  It's all about being able to accept the fact that YOU made a mistake (trust me, I know all about making mistakes in this game).

Well said.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline KONG1

• Silver Member
Master of Your Domain!
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 10:17:54 AM »
Good advise, should be applied to all of life, not just the game.
“It’s good to be King” - Mel Brooks

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
Master of Your Domain!
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 10:53:04 AM »
So who wants to bet they can maintain being master of their domain the longest...:D

Good post Zazen, all noobs read and memorize.  We all get frustrated and need to remember this post before we lash out.  

Also when you die don't look at it as something bad that happened to you, look at it as something enjoyable you did for someone else.  That should get a few of you through LOLH.:aok:D