Author Topic: Why I'll never own a Pit Bull  (Read 3860 times)

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Why I'll never own a Pit Bull
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2007, 07:12:28 PM »
Actually, the Rottweiler, according to most of what I have read, was brought to Germany by shepherds of various flock type animals. The size, strength, loyalty, and intelligence of the breed allowed them to be adapted to many working tasks. They are NOT fighting dogs, but they are by nature somewhat territorial and protective. This is NOT a problem, provided the dog is well bred, as opposed to inbred or linear bred, and provided the owner trains and socializes the dog as it matures.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2007, 07:14:56 PM »
There are no bad dogs (regardless of breed), just bad owners. :)
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2007, 07:24:28 PM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
Actually, the Rottweiler, according to most of what I have read, was brought to Germany by shepherds of various flock type animals. The size, strength, loyalty, and intelligence of the breed allowed them to be adapted to many working tasks. They are NOT fighting dogs, but they are by nature somewhat territorial and protective. This is NOT a problem, provided the dog is well bred, as opposed to inbred or linear bred, and provided the owner trains and socializes the dog as it matures.

Totaly agree, all the big breeds need training. If for nothing else they can knock people down when they get really excited and happy to see somone. :D

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2007, 07:42:43 PM »
by mixed breed you mean they were not pure breed pit bulls.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2007, 07:44:12 PM »
Originally posted by culero
I think you are equally as intelligent on this subject as you have demonstrated you are in terms of basic arithmetic skills in this post. They should start a new TV show for you: "Are You As Smart As A Second Grader?"

No offense :)

PS - maybe you could compete with 5th graders in spelling, maybe not ;)

LMAO your right. My bad on the math.

Spelling. I've always been terrible at spelling.
Still doesnt dispel the fact that these incidents were a considerable time ago.
Not 20 years as I mistakingly stated. but 13 years is still a considerable peice of time.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2007, 07:51:10 PM »
Anyone have the statistics on people being terribly mangled by Beagles or Collies? They must have better owners all around.

Offline Atoon

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2007, 08:02:55 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
by mixed breed you mean they were not pure breed pit bulls.

Perhaps you could take a lil time and actually go to, then read, the link. As aposed to just spewing nonsense.
Thanx for addressing the signature issue FAIRLY, I am morally aloud to patronize your business again. I am Anton & Uknome, Current game-ID Anton1.   *-Brown Nosers STINK!-*

Offline red26

• Silver Member
      • http://www.red25s.zoomshare.com
« Reply #112 on: May 03, 2007, 09:26:51 PM »
Originally posted by eskimo2
Anyone who has stated that Pit Bulls are only owned by gangsta trash who want to look tough clearly is generalizing and is off base. Pit bulls are owned by by gangsta trash who want to look tough AND by redneck trash who want to look tough.

So I'm white trash just because I have had Pitt's? Or Im a Redneck that waves a rebble flag and wants to look tough? What are you saying here? I make $15.00 an hour I wear a suite and tie to work I dont live in the getto or a trailer park I live in Carrollton Tx. On the North side witch is White Suburbia If your grass grows over 6 inches you get called in on. I have no fellonys. So Im in no way white Trash a Redneck with a rebble flag or a getto gang banger. You sir if I may call you that? Are just wroung.  

RED26:furious
US ARMY LEAD THE WAY

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2007, 09:56:07 PM »
sorry to stray just a bit.  

i saved my old dog's collar with his tags.  when i shake that collar, its like my old boy is next to me.   i saved that dog from a farmer who caught him killing chickens in a coop when he was just a puppy, and i was asking permission for pheasant hunting on his land in Michigan.  i had no dog, i was a teenager.  the farmer said "you can hunt.  if you want to, take this puppy.  otherwise im going to shoot him.  

i said, "yeah, i'll take him."  and i took that puppy home.  he was gun shy, and it was a long while before he would stop following in my footsteps in the soy bean fields and hedge rows and range out in front a little bit.

the magic happened the very first time he flushed a bird and i sucsessfully knocked it down. ( 20 ga. Mossberg bolt action) he went and got the bird and came back and set it down at my feet as if i had trained him to do that!  he was never gun shy after that - in fact he would go nuts looking around whenever he heard that bang.

I soon learned that all i had to do was watch his tail. when it started shaking like it was electrified, i knew he was on a bird.  i killed 20 some birds over that dog and we ate every bird.

in 1982 just after Christmas,  i had to leave michigan and come to florida.  my dog was 17 years old then, he had the bluish film over his eyes.  it was cracking cold in Michigan then. i had a hundred watt light burning under the galvanized metal floor of his dog house, which had cedar chips and straw in it on top of the floor.  he was just too old to come with me. when i called him out of his doghouse, his legs went spread out like a fawn trying to walk for the first time, and I knew his happy life was at an end.  It was obvious that he couldln't come with me to Florida.  

i asked my dad what to do...  he said, "Well, me and your uncle's always took care of our dogs on our own."

So, on new year's day, in 1982,  I bought my dog a T-bone steak, and took him out to the woods he loved.  After he ate the meat, I called him to me and put his hind quarters between my knees.  i shot him in the head five times rapidly with my SW stainless model sixty.  the last thing my dog did was wag his tail.  i left him there, covered up in the snow and i put a cross there made out of sticks.  i truthfully cried there...  i honestly don't think i've cried more than a couple times since.

i dream about that dog at least 10 times a year... it was actually one of my best relationships with a living thing.  he was a mixed black lab.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 10:08:40 PM by Gunthr »
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Shaky

• Nickel Member
« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2007, 10:04:20 PM »
:cry
Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2007, 10:04:41 PM »
Originally posted by Gunthr
 i shot him in the head five times with my SW stainless model sixty.  the last thing my dog did was wag his tail.

Jesus Christ dude, did you cut his head head off and put a stake in his heart too?

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2007, 10:27:52 PM »
Slash, you don't know what you are talking about. it was mercy.  

i was an intern at a vet clinic.  from personal observation i can tell you that what happens to a dog that you take in to have "put down" is not pretty. or at least the Michigan Vet Hospital i worked at.

There was an injection of a cheap poison,  spontainious reflexive vomiting by the dog, and 5 minutes of convulsions on a concrete floor, with urine and bowels emptying.  i saw at least six dogs put down this way.  my dog didn't have to do that, experiencing fear and bad smells.  my dog is in the happy hunting grounds, not some dumpster.
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Atoon

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2007, 10:30:07 PM »
"Using the numbers logic, we should ban any/all mixed breed animals."

I was being sarcastic when I said that. I do not condone banning any breed, pure or mixxed.
Thanx for addressing the signature issue FAIRLY, I am morally aloud to patronize your business again. I am Anton & Uknome, Current game-ID Anton1.   *-Brown Nosers STINK!-*

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2007, 10:47:09 PM »
(quote)  i was an intern at a vet clinic. from personal observation i can tell you that what happens to a dog that you take in to have "put down" is not pretty. or at least the Michigan Vet Hospital i worked at.

There was an injection of a cheap poison, spontainious reflexive vomiting by the dog, and 5 minutes of convulsions on a concrete floor, with urine and bowels emptying. i saw at least six dogs put down this way. my dog didn't have to do that, experiencing fear and bad smells.  (unquote)

That sounds pretty awful.  When my 15-year-old Parsons Jack Russell had to be put down, I talked it over with the vet who assured me it would be painless for my dog, and it apparently was.  I picked him up and stood him on the vet table, held him in my arms, the vet gave him a shot, and he just went limp (as instructed, I was careful to let him outside before the short final drive to the vets).
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #119 on: May 03, 2007, 11:08:15 PM »
Only idiots believe it is the breed that is evil, when it is really man's own stupidity at work and that the breed gets the blame.  Typical...

Read this story a while ago, and thought, "Now that is one well treated Jack Russel to defend those kids."   George!

No dog is "born mean" or cruel, or vicious.  That is a fact you can take to the bank.  Dogs, much like people, learn cruelty from their environment.  If you raise a beast (man included) to know only cruelty, or that to attack, or in man's case racisim, and that to behave in an aberrant manner to normal social standards is "okay", then you get what you sowed.  A mean, anti-social beast.

Sure, some breeds need extra attention, or they start asserting their natural pack instincts by challenging for dominance.  But it is mankinds folly for allowing things to get out of hand by not maintaining the ALPHA relationship in the first place.

Far too many people get a pet, any pet, more as a status symbol, and pay no regard to that pets special needs, if any.

=======
Heya Mike!  Oz from the old ATARI dayze.

But back on topic:  Yeah, most of the vets now use more humane over dosage methods for euthanasia.

We had to have our 14 year old Aussie, and our cat put down within a month of each other.  Both had recurring cancer, and the process was as you described...

I held them each time, despite our vets stern glare and admonition that they weren't responsible for any damage I might incur should the pet start to struggle.  Fortunately,  both slipped quietly away in my arms, while ripping my heart out a bit with each passing.

The wife and I both feel that the dog understood, and accepted her time was up, and that she was in her own dignified way, reassuring us that it was okay by her... She'd keep the path to the rainbow bridge clear for when it was our turn to join her.  (dangit, I'm getting choked up at the memory)

We had both pets cremated.  Received a nice little lacquered pine box for each with a small brass name plate.  Wife and I figure we'll do that for all our pets, and the first of us to pass on, leaving all the small boxes to be intered with whichever of us goes last....

For some of those reading this, I am sure I present a morbid mental image.  But for the wife and I, this is a small measure of comfort, knowing we'll all remain together for eternity.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 11:32:03 PM by Odee »
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/