Author Topic: The new textures and transition  (Read 1559 times)

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
The new textures and transition
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2007, 10:41:30 AM »
Originally posted by croduh
In oe there is now an option to "stretch selected texture to cover whole tile".Meaning 1 x1 mile.
I may be wrong, but I think we're talking about in the TE not the OE here. :)
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2007, 10:45:14 AM »
Take it a step further NHawk, try this:

Set a river tile, any will do so go with River 1.
Then click the Manual button under the list of SubTypes.
Now in the upper left quadrant of the dialog window, click radio button 3.
Click OK.

Originally I thought the river textures were different from the Grass textures. After all, they're a different size and the SubType radio buttons become active when a River tile is selected. Wish I had the ability to make good tiles with better transitions but I'll have to wait for you guys.

Let's supposed you decided to go with the old way of doing rivers by setting water tiles at elvation 0. Now you have 16 river tiles counting SubTypes, plus the quarter sections, to play with for realistic beaches and river fronts, and you might still have some left over for other things. I think the limiting factor would be the ovly[_a]#### files.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2007, 10:49:34 AM »
Just to clarify, you have 16 tiles x 4 quarter sections for 48 quarter sections of a square mile that you can lay down manually in your terrain.

Edit: Talking about River tiles only here since that was the latest topic under discussion.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 10:57:14 AM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2007, 10:51:59 AM »
Originally posted by NHawk
I may be wrong, but I think we're talking about in the TE not the OE here. :)

I know that, just trying to explain why the texture is over the whole mile;)

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2007, 10:55:23 AM »
Originally posted by croduh
I know that, just trying to explain why the texture is over the whole mile;)
AHH HAA! You're right. The textures might be available in the TE, but they are an object. The river acts like a river, in other words you can't drive over it.

You're so smart! ;)

I'm not at all familiar with the OE, but I was able to figure out that the ctriv# objects are the rivers. :)

And YES you CAN spawn PT boats in the rivers. :aok
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 11:23:52 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2007, 11:39:53 AM »
Originally posted by Easyscor
Originally I thought the river textures were different from the Grass textures. After all, they're a different size and the SubType radio buttons become active when a River tile is selected. Wish I had the ability to make good tiles with better transitions but I'll have to wait for you guys.
I'm still trying to figure out where you guys have been. :)

Grass, forest, all of the terrain textures have been 512 x 512 for quite some time now. It just looks like somebody forgot that and dropped the ball on the river textures. They should be 1024 x 1024 to match the rest of the terrain. And this could be part of the seaming problem in the 1 mile grid corners.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 11:51:16 AM by NHawk »

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2007, 12:23:17 PM »
And that green cross in the river comes from a know problem with the texture edges getting blurred over to the opposite edge.
It could be solved by leaving a thin strip at the edges unused instead of using the whole texture.

Check the bottom of my 1st post in this thread.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 12:46:53 PM by BlauK »

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2007, 02:14:33 PM »
I dropped16 x 1024 x 1024 river textures to the Finrus's texsrc folder and then build the terrain. Finrus.res file's size was 24.1 Mb. There are are also all the other custom 24 terrain textures and 3 coastline textures. I have also edited fields and factories textures to match to the landscape.

Then I make smaller (512 x 512) all those 16 river textures and built the terrain. It size was then 14.3 Mb. So the difference is about 10 Mb.

I also checked what is the quality difference with 1024 and 512 textures. It is very small, so I am going to make all those river textures at first to size 1024 x 1024 and then make them smaller 512 x 512. I have then those larger ones in my pack pocket.

The eight delta shapes are not working. There appears only the 3D objects, but their textures are invisible. I tried to drop their default textures to the texsrc folder, but it doesn't helped. Have anybody any ideas with them?
Lentorykmentti 3 - Finnish Aces High Virtual Flight Regiment

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2007, 03:49:25 AM »
Originally posted by NHawk
...Grass, forest, all of the terrain textures have been 512 x 512 for quite some time now. It just looks like somebody forgot that and dropped the ball on the river textures....
Actually I got it wrong on that one, all the textures including the river textures are 512 x 512 but I see what you mean. A 512 river textures covers a full square mile while the regular textures are also 512 but it takes 4 of them for each square mile.

Speaking about the rivers, a PT boat can navigate these rivers, except for entering a water tile, unfortunately try crossing one with an LVT, it takes forever and isn't working right.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2007, 04:10:19 AM »
Originally posted by kanttori
The eight delta shapes are not working. There appears only the 3D objects, but their textures are invisible. I tried to drop their default textures to the texsrc folder, but it doesn't helped. Have anybody any ideas with them?
I haven't had any luck with them either, or for that matter, with a lot of things related to textures.

When you rebuilt finrus, were you able to change the way the coast lines work? In your second post above, you inserted this image:

I've found that when a PT boat crosses the white triangles, it crashes and when an LVT crosses it, it transitions between shore and water no matter what the alpa bitmap shows. I noticed you reshaped the shore and wondered if you were able to address this problem so the PT boats and LVTs work as they should with your shoreline, and if so, how?
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2007, 01:33:33 PM »
I think Kanttori changed only the textures. The shapes are somehow "hardcoded" into the editor/game. They seem to self-generate at the coasts when a terrain is (re)loaded into TE.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2007, 03:50:54 PM »
I'm afraid that's the only answer I will get. The ovly_a bitmaps work ground to ground, but not ground to water from what I can tell, not even to affect the green grass bits that intrude on the beaches. [whine mode] It's very irritating to build better shorelines and have to give them up because the shore has to follow the saw tooth triangle shapes.[/whine] I hope there's a more useful answer in the future, one that also allows PT boats to transition from a water tile to a river tile.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001