Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Ace
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2007, 06:40:42 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Rank means squat.

No, I take that back. Rank means you game the game, fly as timidly as possible with as many wingmen as possible, run the second the enemy might be able to turn from you, and you milk-run in the EWA and MWA to get a better ranking. Then you score exclusively in "attack" mode after you die once so as not to ruin your chance at the #1 rank.

So, rank means a lot, the lower it gets, but it actually doesn't mean you're an "ace".

INteresting response. Rank being low means you score hore.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline VansCrew1

• Gold Member
Ace
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2007, 06:42:15 PM »
Originally posted by Husky01
Yep fly with dextur and Axer they are true aces!

:rofl :rofl :rofl  they both suck, AXER sr is good but his kids cant fight out of a wet paper bag.
Tour 79
Callsign: VansCrew

"The Ringer"

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
Ace
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2007, 06:55:13 PM »
There are some really good sticks in here, whom I wouldn't like to meet head to head. I've lost to Shane, Furball, Schatzi, Redd, Wmaker, Sasmox, Oldman, Slash27, actually most of the people in AH. I would be dead, weren't it for AH2. Salute, HTC!
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
Ace
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2007, 07:08:13 PM »
no true def i dont believe myself to be an ace and i have kill streaks in some planes in the 30's so....:cool:
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Ace
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2007, 07:27:49 PM »
Fighter Rank in and of itself a  poor measuring tool because by its very nature, it's relativistic. However, the components that comprise fighter rank are absolutes and do have some comparative relevance. That is to say Hit %, K/T, K/D and K/S do indicate the prescence of aptitudes in specific areas that are key components of aggregate talent in fighters. Of course there is no measure for one key component and that is raw flying ability, that is unquantifiable, very subjective and situational.

So, to define an Ace, you really have to qualify that with, Ace of what..? Very few people, I can think of only 2 or 3 I've ever known in 17 years of this, can pick up any plane out of the hanger, fly it in any style and be equally successful in it. By that I mean there are Aces, there are TnB Aces, there are E fighting Aces, there are snipers, there are those with great flying skill but awefull aim, or people with great aim and flying ability but piss poor SA etc.

Humans will tend to, after sufficient experience, cultivate the self-awareness to figure out what aptitudes and weaknesses they have and fly in a fashion that maximizes those aptitudes while at the same time minimizing their weaknesses. In my personal opinion those are the Aces.

If you want a pure definition, an Ace is a pilot who flies in such a way as to maximize the effectiveness in combat of both his own aptitudes and his chosen plane's strengths while at the same time minimizing his own weaknesses and the strengths of his opponent and his aircraft. Someone who can consistantly accomplish that flight after flight, encounter after encounter is an unqualified Ace regardless of what particular area(s) he excels.

Naturally, in the game there are certain activities that can statistically perpetuate the illusion of Ace-dom without actually possessing the reality of it, vulching, 262 and 163 buff farming missions and more clandestine methods involving other  accounts for example. This is the biggest reason Rank in and of itself or any sub-stat of which looked at in isolation or out of context is not particularly meaningfull. But, blatant padding  notwithstanding the core attributes that comprise fighter rank, not the fighter rank itself are, if nothing else, fairly pure indicators of pilot aptitude in a given area. Taken as a sum total they do tell a story and combined with the correct plane to accentuate those proclivities  do end up becoming, to a certain degree, a measure of that  person's overall effectiveness in the MA with a fighter.

Zazen
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 08:03:26 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
Ace
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2007, 07:34:53 PM »
If you don't go into hysterical fits every time you get shot down, you're an ACE in my book.  :aok
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline VansCrew1

• Gold Member
Ace
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2007, 07:57:44 PM »
Originally posted by spikes
INteresting response. Rank being low means you score hore.

<--score hore,i dont know how's it still so low...

VansCrew
Tour 79
Callsign: VansCrew

"The Ringer"

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Ace
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2007, 06:31:11 AM »
Originally posted by Xargos
If you don't go into hysterical fits every time you get shot down, you're an ACE in my book.  :aok

LOL :rofl
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Ace
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2007, 06:58:14 AM »
Originally posted by kamilyun
I consider anyone with rank 200 or better an ace.

I like sarcasm as well.   :aok
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
Ace
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2007, 08:12:18 AM »
A ace is when u can kill lw planes with ew planes with ease in the LWA, hehehehe.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Ace
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2007, 08:12:45 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Actually in the case of landing 12 in a 202 there was no vulching, all of it was fair. In the case of the 205 I think only 2-3 were vulched, the rest were fair.

I've done runs of 13 in a 190 before, but they were mostly all vulches :D :D :D (which is why I didn't list 'em)

Bahhhh!  Krusty, I'm betting that you wouldn't last 10 seconds after merge in a duel of 202's with the big dogs!  I think I could pick most any of my squaddies and you would get beach slapped in the 202 or th3 205!  I'm guessing that co-alt co-E would be "fair".......right??:aok

Mark

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
Ace
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2007, 08:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by SkyRock
Bahhhh!  Krusty, I'm betting that you wouldn't last 10 seconds after merge in a duel of 202's with the big dogs!  I think I could pick most any of my squaddies and you would get beach slapped in the 202 or th3 205!  I'm guessing that co-alt co-E would be "fair".......right??:aok

Mark

Heck, I bet Jrdogg could take him.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Ace
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2007, 02:03:09 PM »
Originally posted by AKDogg
Heck, I bet Jrdogg could take him.
:lol

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
Ace
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2007, 02:46:04 PM »
wats rank?:confused:
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Ace
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2007, 02:51:30 PM »
Originally posted by kamilyun
I consider anyone with rank 200 or better an ace.

hehe I shot down a guy who's an "ace" twice in a row in my A-20 (he was spitXVI). I dont think "ace" is appropriate but there are a bunch of guys who are consistantly mentioned across many "best in" "best sticks" "best fights" etc. Those relative few stand above the rest of us based on that almost universal measure of respect. Few of those guys are ever in the top 200 BTW....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson