Author Topic: Bring Back The MA  (Read 9481 times)

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Bring Back The MA
« Reply #210 on: July 18, 2007, 08:17:46 AM »
Originally posted by storch
not just storch.  it takes years, YEARS to modify one's own behavior...

how would you know? as far as you are the example of your statements, i would argue that it could take a lifetime.. and then some ;)
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

storch

Bring Back The MA
« Reply #211 on: July 18, 2007, 08:32:37 AM »
I wouldn't argue differently.  ;)

Offline Siting Duck

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com/forums/index.php
Bring Back The MA
« Reply #212 on: July 18, 2007, 09:49:31 AM »
It seems to me that lifting the arena limits would let the customers decide what they wanted to do. The fact that the word "limit" is used should be saying enough.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Bring Back The MA
« Reply #213 on: July 18, 2007, 09:59:21 AM »
Yeah. Why should there be any limit? I mean you could cram another 250 people into a 500 seat movie theater if you would let people sit in the aisles.

That should improve everyone's movie going experience. Should work for NFL games and such too.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

storch

Bring Back The MA
« Reply #214 on: July 18, 2007, 10:06:04 AM »
Originally posted by Siting Duck
It seems to me that lifting the arena limits would let the customers decide what they wanted to do. The fact that the word "limit" is used should be saying enough.
while I don't like making assumptions I'll go out on a limb here and venture a guess that you were not playing nine months ago when the changes were implemented.

in my opinion proir to the changes the arena was rife with a terrible form of game play.  there were mega squads, squads that for what ever reason circumvented the 32 player per squad limit and were basically ruling the arena in a mad race to reset the map and win the war while at all costs avoiding a fight.  chief amongst these squads but certainly not alone was the ninety player strong birds of prey squads.

these players who adhered to this concept of fun were in the opinion of many ruining the game.

while this mode of play still exists today it has been great curtailed by HTC's wise decision to implement a form of control to curb this distasteful procession.  prior to the arena change ENY limitations were implemented to prevent the flocking birds of prey (I know I know birds of prey don't flock but our species does so to the exclusion of all other forms of behavior) and others from being able to storm bases with megaarmed cartoon inventory.  this device worked to an extent.

HTC then implemented the multi main arena concept allowing more players to play with greater range of choice.  we in fact have far more choice now than before with the added benefit that the birds of prey (or flock of seagulls as I call them) have a much more difficult time of pissing up the arena.

from where I sit it seems to have been a good tactic by HTC.

Offline Siting Duck

• Zinc Member
Bring Back The MA
« Reply #215 on: July 18, 2007, 10:18:57 AM »
Just so the "it seems people have decided..." folks understand that the players haven't decided anything. They were restricted.

Toad, a theater is not dependant on customer interaction. Plus any theater would be more than happy to seat 10,000 people if the actual physical limitations were not in place. That would, unfortunately mean that the theater would have to fill those seats to justify the size... unused seats mean less money. Their limit is purely physical and cost based. If the servers are capable of handling 2000 people on-line and a large arena is not impacting that, then the limits are only being imposed to attempt to force people to do something they wouldn't otherwise do. It's the same as a theater only seating 100 people in a 250 seat theater to "encourage" them to watch some of the other films they are running.

I'm all for keeping the EW and MW arenas, but limiting the LW arenas in an attempt to restrict gameplay seems counterproductive. Leave 2 LW arenas with no limits... one with the hoard and one without. Let the customers decide which they like best.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Bring Back The MA
« Reply #216 on: July 18, 2007, 10:32:06 AM »
Actually, MiniD, HT designed the arenas for a certain level of entertainment value. Clearly, while the  arena (server) can accomodate a higher number HT decided to limit the number of available seats (if you will) in order to provide a better entertainment value for his customers.

Since he's the owner/operator/designer that is a choice and an observation that he gets to make. I happen to agree with him. Some players do, some don't.

In the theater analogy, yes a huge theater could be built but the entertainment value might be quite a bit less than a smaller venue. Distance from the screen, acoustics, the noises people make, etc., etc., might well combine to make a seat in such a huge theater a much less valuable commodity when compared to a theater that was sized for a better entertainment value.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
Bring Back The MA
« Reply #217 on: July 18, 2007, 10:42:24 AM »
Originally posted by Irwink!
HTC profits are the determining factor in doing anything. It is a commercial enterprise I believe. If the company's healthy with profits on the rise then they're on the right track business wise. If not, time for a change. Whichever way it is going in that sense only they know best.

Finally someone thinking outside of their own selfishness!

I just looked, so far, halfway through this tour we've had 4,000+ subscribers log in and fly. Take it from someone who has been here since the beginning (as well as somone who has seen several changes I did not care for), THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 10:50:49 AM by Edbert »

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
Bring Back The MA
« Reply #218 on: July 18, 2007, 10:49:43 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
Actually, MiniD, HT designed the arenas for a certain level of entertainment value. Clearly, while the  arena (server) can accommodate a higher number HT decided to limit the number of available seats (if you will) in order to provide a better entertainment value for his customers.

But, one fact of the arena caps in LW are the fact that you are often preventing squad mates from playing together.  

Now, you *could* PM your squaddies and have them all move to the uncapped LW arena if one member found he can't log in, but that is the wrong answer.  A whole squad is expected to change arenas to accommodate a late coming squaddie or two?  What if they were in the middle of operations or a mission?  What if they've found a good fight?  So the choice is now stay and fly and hope the squaddie can join up later (which is not much fun for the locked out player), or abandon what you are doing to move over to the other arena.

And waiting around to log in is not always the answer either.  I've seen the LW Orange arena cap drop 150 spots when LW Blue has just reset, which left the new map in LW Blue or EW, or MW left to those players joining, as LW Orange was 150 players over the cap.  So no new players and no re-logging into that arena if you got discoed.  

Part of the game is supposed to be the cooperative play element, and the arena caps hinder that on busy nights.  So the arena split up intention was to enhance the entertainment of the game, but it has also had some negative effects on other aspects of the game.  Player frustration over not being able to join squad mates in a capped arena.  Unable to re-log into an arena after a disco because of arena cap.  Not exactly enhanced entertainment value.  

And certainly the arena split had no effect on the hordes, and milkrunning in EW and MW have made the scores and ranking numbers pointless comparisons.   Not to mention the very limited number of maps in the rotation now.  So, good intentions aside, was the end result of the arena split a good thing or a bad thing?

storch

Bring Back The MA
« Reply #219 on: July 18, 2007, 11:08:41 AM »
Leave 2 LW arenas with no limits... one with the hoard and one without. Let the customers decide which they like best.
 in way that sounds idllyc.  lamentably experince has shown that if the megasquads can flock they will.  the game will return to being how many lemmings can I recruit and tell them they are not grubby little rodents but proud raptors .... who happen to flock...... and then run amuk in win the war madness.

I dunno, call me cynical I guess.

HTC hit upon the right formula irrespective of the rantings of the small but vocal posters who keep thunderbirding this topic.

Offline Siting Duck

• Zinc Member
Bring Back The MA
« Reply #220 on: July 18, 2007, 11:13:52 AM »
Then leave one unlimmited and set a 100 per country limit on the other and let people decide what they like. Stop trying to control the player base.

storch

Bring Back The MA
« Reply #221 on: July 18, 2007, 11:28:15 AM »
Then leave one unlimmited and set a 100 per country limit on the other and let people decide what they like. Stop trying to control the player base.
pfft. as if.  do you know what a peon is?  a peon outranks me in this game.  take that up with HTC and continue rage against the coming of the night on the BBS then. :D

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Bring Back The MA
« Reply #222 on: July 18, 2007, 11:44:45 AM »

but that is what they are trying to do! Control the player base !! The single arena had degenerated into 3 huge hordes who continued to "backdoor" the neighboring country NEVER going head to head. It was a race to steamroll as many bases as you could before you lost too many bases of your own.

By capping the arena, and later adding another arena, they slowed the steamrolling. Now base capture is still a part of the game, but its not the "be all and end all" of the game. The GVin is back, furballs pop up here and there, and normal size squads can now make a differeance.

Your suggestion quoted above won't work, seeing as that was how it was before it was changed. It's already been proven to be a poor way to maintain a good business base.

storch

Bring Back The MA
« Reply #223 on: July 18, 2007, 11:56:53 AM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
but that is what they are trying to do! Control the player base !! The single arena had degenerated into 3 huge hordes who continued to "backdoor" the neighboring country NEVER going head to head. It was a race to steamroll as many bases as you could before you lost too many bases of your own.

By capping the arena, and later adding another arena, they slowed the steamrolling. Now base capture is still a part of the game, but its not the "be all and end all" of the game. The GVin is back, furballs pop up here and there, and normal size squads can now make a differeance.

Your suggestion quoted above won't work, seeing as that was how it was before it was changed. It's already been proven to be a poor way to maintain a good business base.
word

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Bring Back The MA
« Reply #224 on: July 18, 2007, 12:25:53 PM »
Originally posted by FALCONWING
i was handling it on my own...oldman on this thread decided it was worthwhile to interject how I was out of line...he had NO part of the discussion but chose to ignore the behaviors i was responding too AND instead to criticize the manner in which i was responding...

Kind of like your stupidity here...really who are you and why do you feel the need to weigh in with your comments??? Does it bother you that i choose to respond to comments DIRECTED to me?? i was handling it on my own...oldman on this thread decided it was worthwhile to interject how I was out of line...he had NO part of the discussion but chose to ignore the behaviors i was responding too AND instead to criticize the manner in which i was responding...

Kind of like your stupidity here...really who are you and why do you feel the need to weigh in with your comments??? Does it bother you that i choose to respond to comments DIRECTED to me?? At least i know who storch and oldman are...

You pretend not to know who I am? Thats your response? How goofy is that?

No one here is obligated to take your side in a BBS fight. There are no rules against someone posting a response to you. ( aside from the rules)

And since your feeble mind is failing you I will clue you in as to why I felt the need to weigh in with my comments. Oldman is my friend. Does that bother you?

At least i know who storch and oldman are...

Thats so weak.