Author Topic: Dissapointing performance  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Dissapointing performance
« on: July 16, 2007, 07:29:08 PM »
Hello to the group. I'm brand new to the game so I hope someone can help me with this. I bought a new Saitek "Aviator" joystick and as far as I can tell its working fine. The big problem I'm having, other then learning the game, is none of the airplanes Ive been trying have had the kind of performance they are known for. For instance, I just flew a B-17 offline flight and was unable to get the airplane above 3,000', or faster then 148 mph. Even after dropping the bombs I was still unable to gain altitude.

The stick is calibrated fine, as far as I can tell. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 07:36:38 PM »
Seems like you still had flaps deployed. When you deploy on runway, your flaps are down two notches. Retract them immediately by hitting W two times (Q to drop them again).
Also don't take too much fuel, 25-50% will do for most missions when flying online.

Also make sure that you move your throttle too when calibrating the stick, else you won't be able to give full power.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 08:17:10 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline sgt203

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 07:58:24 PM »
My bet is Lusche is right need to pull up your flaps.. 17's will do much better than 148 IAS...

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 08:35:56 PM »
as Lusche mentioned, when you launch/deploy to the runway in Medium/Heavy bombers you will normally launch with flaps deployed ...........it is recommended to get airborne and let speed get up to say 140 IAS ( IAS = indicated air speed  ie.... the white needle ) once speed has picked up, raise flaps, until you get use to it, raise them 1 notch.let speed pick up a bit more, then bring in the other notch...

if you raise them all before taking off, it will take longer and more speed to get the bomber to lift off when heavy ( when loaded down with bombs ).if you have them down and get airborne, but raise them all suddenly the bomber may drop out from under you because you are not fast enough to generate enough lift .......

practice, practice, practice....

good luck
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline HoseNose

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 08:52:36 PM »
How about the other planes? How do you find the fighters' performance figures?

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 09:01:03 PM »
Originally posted by HoseNose

From the main AH page, under Game Info / Planes, Vehicals, boats:

http://www.hitechcreations.com/frindex.html

On bombers, flaps only deploy automaticly when you use auto-takeoff.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 09:06:01 PM »

Best resource for fighter comparisons:

http://gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php

Offline HoseNose

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 09:55:55 PM »
Oh well I was asking about Rich46's opinions of the other fighters compared to what he's heard about them.

Great site though, thanks!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 10:26:01 PM »
Oh well I was asking about Rich46's opinions of the other fighters compared to what he's heard about them.

I know, but I was correctly guessing you don't knew that site yet :)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 08:40:56 AM »
Thanx guys I'll try all this. I thought I had raised flaps by hitting "W" but I'll give it another go. Let me get back to you later on it. And yes, Ive had poor performance in other planes. Most notably the ME-262 that I cant get over 300 mph.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 08:49:14 AM »
Originally posted by Rich46yo
Thanx guys I'll try all this. I thought I had raised flaps by hitting "W" but I'll give it another go. Let me get back to you later on it. And yes, Ive had poor performance in other planes. Most notably the ME-262 that I cant get over 300 mph.

Well,  it's the only fighter in game which also has it's flaps down at start. ;)
Further, the 262 is very slow accelerating, you will need a lot of time to get up speed.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 08:51:59 AM by Lusche »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 08:53:39 AM »
Take up a prop fighter that has a WEP feature. When you're up hit WEP. Does it kick in? Does anything happen on the instrument dials?

If not, chances are your throttle is not properly calibrated or set up, and you're only getting partial power.

Remember to calibrate in windows first, then in Aces High, and make sure you do all 4 axis.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 09:30:51 AM »
OK, I tried the P-51 and ME-262. Basically I get less then 1/2 the speed the airplane is capable of, flaps or no flaps. With the P-51 the only way I get over 200 mph, or 30 on the RPM scale, is if I aim it towards the ground. Same thing with the ME-262. The Bombers? I can hardly gain altitude with them.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 09:37:47 AM »
Well, then it's apparent you cant give full power for a reason. Probably a calibration issue.
And don't beat me for this dumb question, just to be sure: You don't have gear still down, don't you?...

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 09:46:09 AM »
I cant find anything in Saiteks websight concerning calibration. As far as I can tell its calibrated properly. At least all the controls are working and the throttle and joystick goes thru its full range of motion.