Author Topic: Dissapointing performance  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Dissapointing performance
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 09:47:31 AM »
No, I had gear up, and flaps up, from the beginning. I'm not tottaly new to all this but it has been years since I used a flight game. Last one was WW2 fighters when it first came out.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 09:54:19 AM »
Go into the windows control panel > Game controllers screen

(unless your Saitek uses some other software? I don't have a Saitek so I wouldn't know)

Double click the stick, bring up the window. Use the test screen. Move your stick to full deflections up, down, left, right. Watch the little window. If you're pushing all the way, but the little crosshair is only going halfway, it's a calibration issue. Move your slider fully up and fully down. If it only goes partway up, it's a calibration issue. Do the same for the rudder axis as well.

Calibrate it (use deliberate, careful motions) following the step-by-step instructions, and hit OKAY or FINISH when you're done.

If Saitek has their own software, use that. Calibrate the stick.

Then start up Aces High. Bring up the clipboard, choose (I think) Settings > Controllers > Calibrate (it may be worded similarly) it will give you a screen. Move your stick up, down, left, right, as far as it will go several times (make full circles), slide the throttle fully up and down several times, move your rudder full left and right several times, then move your mouse to click "Okay"

That should do it.

Offline HoseNose

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 09:56:06 AM »
I'm thinking Krusty's right. When I first got Aces High, I borrowed a stick and had the same problem. I then calibrated the stick on the computer itself and noticed my throttle was all wonky. THEN I calibrated it on Aces. worked fine... until the stick physically broke, so I'm looking for a new one.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 10:34:54 AM »
Rich,

If all the suggestions fail.  Remove your stick from the Throttle 1 spot in your joystick configuration in Aces High.

Mash down shift + and see if that changes anything.

That's the keyboard command for full throttle, but it works only if the throttle on your joystick is not mapped.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 10:39:14 AM »
First off, thanks for all the help. I am finding somthing wrong in windows regarding calibration but right when I think I have it fixed, and go back to the game, same thing happens. They sold me this thing with no instructions on calibrating in windows. Right now I see both throttles going thru the entire range of motion but I still cant get these airplanes about 200 mph.

I dont know what I'm going to do. Probably bring this thing back. Pity cause I like the look of it.

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 10:49:16 AM »
Originally posted by Rich46yo
First off, thanks for all the help. I am finding somthing wrong in windows regarding calibration but right when I think I have it fixed, and go back to the game, same thing happens. They sold me this thing with no instructions on calibrating in windows. Right now I see both throttles going thru the entire range of motion but I still cant get these airplanes about 200 mph.

I dont know what I'm going to do. Probably bring this thing back. Pity cause I like the look of it.

the flight model in aces high is very realistic, you won't be able to go super speed instantly.

just take off and don't climb, fly straight and level on the deck. hit x key to put it in level autopilot.

then see what speed you get AFTER waiting for several minutes.

and have you calibrated your stick in aces high? if it's calibrated in windows, but not in aces high it'll be useless.

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 10:51:51 AM »
To ckeck if Aces High gets full throttle input, go to "Map Controller", select your Throttle axis and check the "advanced" box. Now move your throttle.
Both "raw" and "scaled" indicators should be moving through the full range:

If you apply full power in a P51 during takeoff, the manifold pressure gauge should read 61.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 11:39:09 AM »
The stick probably isn't broken.  I have the same stick and it works fine.

You have a calibration issue, or you're not flying properly.

Try calibrating both in windows, AND in AH, and then let us know what happens.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 11:44:43 AM »
Did you install Saitek drivers? The ones that came with your stick (CD installation disK)  may be old, or didn't install properly. Try http://www.saitekusa.com and download the latest drivers for your joystick.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
OK, heres what was happening. I did what Lusche said and went into map controller. One of that throttles was only giving 1/2 power and when I corrected it I went back into the game. All the aircraft are giving me better numbers now.

Some flight games give WW-ll aircraft control responses like jet fighters but this game is pretty true to history. I was able to get the B-17 up to about 240 mph with a full bombload, which was twice the speed I was getting before. The P-51D about 380 mph, the ME-262 about 400 mph, and over 500 mph on a dive.

So its much better and I can get back on my learning curve. Thanks again..................Rich

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007, 01:32:13 PM »
OK, is the Mossie speed indicator the red dial and not the white one next to it? The red one tells me I'm getting about 320 mph, but, I'm only a few 1,000' up. Which is close. The Mossie made about 360 mph at alititude didnt it?

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2007, 01:44:10 PM »
The white one is indicated air speed and the red one is actual ground speed.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2007, 01:48:02 PM »
Remember there is TAS, true airspeed, and IAS, indicated. The difference is because at higher altitudes the air is thinner and exerts less pressure.
Indicated is generally less at altitude and is indicated by the white line, red is actual or true compensated for altitude and indicated by the red line on airspeed gauge.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2007, 02:18:57 PM »
You'll stall at indicated, but compress at true, think of it that way (not 100% true but it helps you. Kinda like: As you get super high (30k+) the gap narrows to the point you only have N mph between stalling out of the sky and compressing/dying. )

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 05:29:13 PM »
Again...thank you to all. Kinda neat knowing there is such a good support community for the game. Now I have to get the guts up to play on-line for the first time. Hey I actually landed and survived.