Author Topic: A pilots' analysis of dog fighting an F-22  (Read 3685 times)

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
A pilots' analysis of dog fighting an F-22
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2007, 01:16:02 PM »
Well, actually now that I think about it you were writing in Czech while I was reading it in Slavo-Croatian. Your beer guide was almost correct. :)

Offline B3YT

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2007, 01:58:58 PM »
i remember reading a report by the RAF "accidently" locking on to an F117 over iraq. They also Tagged a B-2 . It was reported on in Flight internation in the mid 90's .  I would rather have a plane that didn't rely on computers to fly if an EMF weapon is ever used ( and they are in development)
As the cleaners say :"once more unto the bleach"

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2007, 04:47:03 PM »
Originally posted by B3YT
i remember reading a report by the RAF "accidently" locking on to an F117 over iraq. They also Tagged a B-2 . It was reported on in Flight internation in the mid 90's .  I would rather have a plane that didn't rely on computers to fly if an EMF weapon is ever used ( and they are in development)

That's all well and good, except that in every fight where EMP weapons are not used, you will die at the hands of those fly-by-wire modern marvels.  Plus, these new A/C are hardened agains EMP.  Finally, EMP weapons have not yet been used, and even when they are will likely not be readily available.  Remember also that the B-2 was concieved first and foremost as a nuclear strike platform.  Hence, it was designed to operate in what we call a "heavily scintillated" environment.

All that being said, no a/c is invincible, and even stealth a/c can be brought down.  However, it is so difficult (amounting to a stroke of luck that can't be counted on) that these platforms will continue to dominate warfare.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2007, 06:25:03 PM »
missiles can not be launched over 5 G loading (something that the Us navy learnt over Vietnam).

:lol
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2007, 08:50:49 PM »
Finally, EMP weapons have not yet been used

its been said that a small EMP device was used in desert storm
Hell there is a episode of Futureweapons where they demonstrate its use
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2007, 08:52:51 PM »
  missiles can not be launched over 5 G loading (something that the Us navy learnt over Vietnam).

umm ya might wanna go check your facts again.
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline B3YT

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2007, 02:00:35 AM »
many times AIM-7 and AIM-9 were jammed on the rails while in high G manovers over vietnam . maybe they changed the system then.

Offline B3YT

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2007, 02:01:18 AM »
Originally posted by WilldCrd
umm ya might wanna go check your facts again.

maybe i should have said " not advised to be lunched" then?

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2007, 10:16:03 AM »
its been said that a small EMP device was used in desert storm

That's interesting.  I'm not familiar with this event.  Would you happen to have a link?  I would suspect that the device (if it was in fact deployed) was likely of limited capability and range.  This is not to say the USA (and other countries) aren't working to develop them, but there are many operational constraints associated with the use of such a weapon.  They are most likely (IMO) to be useful in very specific circumstances, such as against fixed targets like air defenses.  Fracticide would be a concern, though our own weapon systems are generally hardened against EMP to varying degrees.  They could however be a devestating weapon against soft targets.  As a terror weapon, they could cause all kinds of chaos.  However, like nuclear weapons they are likely to be very sophisticated and hard to come by.

Hell there is a episode of Futureweapons where they demonstrate its use

Note the name of the series ("Future"), and that I said "have not yet been used"  Nonetheless, I would perhaps alter my statement, in light of your comments, to read, "EMP weapons have not been used more than a couple times operationally, are sophisticated, hard to produce, and difficult to employ."  Which leads me back to my point, which is that fly-by-wire combat a/c dominate and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.  To put it another way,  I'll take the F-22 over a Mig or Su anyday.;)
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2007, 11:18:46 AM »
Originally posted by Hortlund
Well, there is one more picture...

What the heck does all them symbols in the photo mean? can someone who knows what they're talking about please break it down for us grunts?

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2007, 12:37:19 PM »
why is the "gun" Xed out?

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2007, 12:37:57 PM »
many times AIM-7 and AIM-9 were jammed on the rails while in high G manovers over vietnam . maybe they changed the system then.

AIM-7 Sparrows aren't mounted on *rails*. They are mounted on launchers that have ejection pistons that kick the missile free of the aircraft before the rocket motor ignites.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2007, 12:39:28 PM »
maybe i should have said " not advised to be lunched" then?

Anyone who is trying to *lunch* a missile better have really strong teeth and an iron stomach. :D
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline expat

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2007, 02:33:49 PM »
the 31 was vectored to an intercept point ....it was in the predicted path of the 71 it didnt have to run it down ...
goggles on ,chocks away, last one backs a homo  hooraaaaaaaaay!

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
Ah ... that works, but if it was a MiG-31 the intercept must have been in 1982 or later. Did the US fly SR-71s over the Soviet Union in the 1980's?