Author Topic: U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2007, 01:00:21 PM »
"If Britain wants to ban private ownership of handguns or if Bermuda wants to confiscate guns.. that is their choice. It doesn't affect me and I don't care. I feel sorry for those sportsmen that can no longer practice their sport but that's about the end of it."

So, time for so many on this BB to stop mocking the "Euros" for their "useless" gun control.
As for the sportmanship,  - even little Iceland gives you a window for that. But you can't bring the gun home.....

It's a choice. It's where you draw the line. The Euros draw the line stiffer than the USA. The Euros have much better crime stats than the USA. The rest is up for conclusions. Like what kind of freedom is the worthiest. What did one grow up with anyway?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2007, 01:09:36 PM »
And Lazs:
"you have guns adequate for breaking the law and for serial killers and criminals but nothing a citizen can use well to carry and defend. Why can you own a bolt action 303 (the fastest working bolt in the world and 10 shot) but not a garand with it's 8 shot mag? Why can you own the most deadly close range firearm, a shotgun, that any criminal can cut down to pistol length in 15 minutes but no handguns for citizens to defend against him?

what kind of thinking is that?"

Did you never learn to read?
Why do you need a CONCEILABLE weapon for self defence? Since you have now comprehended that we do not have something above "baby size", what is banned is CONCEILABILITY and then the infamous ROF.
Do you wish for every citizen to carry a conceiled weapon? Maybe in your reality, but I'm quite happy that it's not so in mine.
Being able to conceile a weapon of high ROF is absolutwely the bandit's dream. And don't even try to tell me that you can hide a sawed off pump (I have a shotgun and the tools to saw it off and make ready in less than 5 minutes) as well as a nifty little Beretta,.........even the desert Eagle is dwarfed by it.....
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2007, 01:11:49 PM »
Originally posted by Angus
Ehm, charon, perhaps:
"Fortunately, you're more likely to be hit by lightning that ever be involved in such an incident - a fact. "

You actually are 10 times more likely to get shot dead in the USA than killed by a lightning. So stay away from Wyoming :D

You are also on a norm, 3 times more likely to get murdered than a European. As well as much more likely to end up in an armed robbery situation. And being raped.  And bear in mind, that the "Euros" have a bigger headcount than the USA as well as living on smaller turf, as well as having more languages and multicultures.
Cause?
I mean, come on, how did all your presidents get shot anyway ?
(Okay, Kennedy got Sniped, but the others got shot with a handgun)

Linkie (I know many of you hate the info from Wiki, but I couldn't resist)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States

Here:

"The homicide rate in the United States of America is higher than that of other developed countries,[6][7][8] with firearms used to commit 68% of the 14,860 homicides in the United States during 2005. This makes the U.S. have the highest rate of firearm related homicides among developed countries.[9][10] Many more suffer non-fatal gunshot wounds, with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimating 52,447 violence-related and 23,237 accidental gunshot injuries in the United States during 2000"
And why I ask again:
" In metropolitan areas, the homicide rate in 2005 was 6.1 per 100,000 compared with 3.5 in non-metropolitan counties"
3.5 in the countryside? That's twice as high as in the UK yes?
Call me dull, but I see a simple relevancy between a lot of available firearms and corpses. Actually the non-gun-related murder rate in the USA is on pair with Europe.
Statistics suck don't they,,,,

First off, he didn't say that you are more likely to be struck by lightning, then to be murdered.  He said that you are more likely to be struck by lightning, then to ever be a target of a mass murderer.  Basically, what this means is that guns don't really promote mass murders, nor are the cause of simple murders.

Again, statistics are fine, but they mean nothing without conclusions.  Also, over generalizations of statistics become meaningless.  To link all of america with a problem that Black culture, as well as inner cities, is just foolish.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2007, 01:19:39 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
England:

http://www.met.police.uk/firearms-enquiries/f_fit1.htm

All comes down to one little perfumed prince.

How would the Commissioner of Police in Bermuda react to a request by a Bermudan to own/carry a firearm?  :)

Bone merely said what I said; we in the USA have a Constitutionally guaranteed choice regarding firearms. You are the one that attributes chest-puffing to such simple statements.  You'll note I don't condemn the way other countries handle their firearms other than to say that I'm very glad it is not that way here. Is that chest-puffing?

If Britain wants to ban private ownership of handguns or if Bermuda wants to confiscate guns.. that is their choice. It doesn't affect me and I don't care. I feel sorry for those sportsmen that can no longer practice their sport but that's about the end of it.

I make detailed posts because the short ones are often deliberately twisted by others. I try to be clear and that requires detail.

As for your raison-d'etre here, I'll just say your posts speak volumes. A quick click of the search button will bring up your posting history and folks can evaluate for themselves. The written history is there.

If I were a visitor to a Euro BBS and folks started slagging the US, I'd present my opinion in a polite way. I'd realize others have their own opinions and I'd accept that people would sometimes disagree. I seriously doubt I'd go around accusing people of questioning my manhood over my position on some issue. I doubt I'd continually find fault with the Euro countries and I seriously doubt I'd get to be a poster that never missed a chance to jump in and slag back. In short, I'd post there like I post here.

Lastly, if it really bothered me I'd just leave the BBS. I doubt it would bother me much for all of the above reasons.

The Chief of Police is not a prince or a constable.  I cannot comment on whether or not he wears perfume.  So, while you continue to be obtuse you also continue to be wrong.

Bore said (and I quote again):"I'd say he thinks we're "better", because we have the choice (for now at least) to own guns or not, kinda like he wrote."

I've quoted it twice now yet you continue to argue the point.

The written history IS indeed there....anyone who reads it will see that virtually ALL of my posts were reactionary and not me starting anything.

Reactionary to precisely the thing you are accusing me of doing with respect to manhood etc....how many times have I been accused of being less than a man because I live in a country that has no guns?  It is all there...anyone who wants to read it is welcome.  My one little jab earlier in this thread is what you are basing your accusation on?  PLEASE.  Go read.

"I doubt I'd continually find fault with the Euro countries and I seriously doubt I'd get to be a poster that never missed a chance to jump in and slag back. In short, I'd post there like I post here."

LOL Comedy gold old chap.  Comedy gold.  You do all these things here...usually aimed at moi when you jump in to defend lazs or whomever after I have entered a discussion to do a similar thing.  Especially now that Beet1e has been banned.

You are very good a pointing out slivers in my eye but ignore the big plank in yours.

Now, I'm off...wasted too much time on this thread as it is.

See you in the next bash thread Toad where I'm sure you will as polite and nice as you've been here.

:rofl
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2007, 01:24:15 PM »
"Fortunately, you're more likely to be hit by lightning that ever be involved in such an incident - a fact. "

We have been over this before in great detail. http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=207531&referrerid=5405

1. I am talking about mass shooting events, the same ones the banners cite. I'll even walk you through it:

a.) you reference "hose down a class room." reading comprehension tells me you are referring to a mass shooting event, like the ones that rarely occur and are statistically insignificant with a gross population of 300 million considered but that get the full media circus treatment (unlike arson, for example). This also ties directly into our "weapon a=bad, weapon b=good discussion.

b.) The Brady bunch has totaled up about 70 people killed in such events in the past 20 years. About 4000 people have been killed by lightning during the same period.

You are also on a norm, 3 times more likely to get murdered than a European. As well as much more likely to end up in an armed robbery situation. And being raped. And bear in mind, that the "Euros" have a bigger headcount than the USA as well as living on smaller turf, as well as having more languages and multicultures.

Where total crime is concerned:

The failure of this general disarmament to stem, or even slow, armed and violent crime could not be more blatant. According to a recent UN study, England and Wales have the highest crime rate and worst record for "very serious" offences of the 18 industrial countries surveyed.
Source: BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2656875.stm

Where firearm crime is concerned:

You have previously refused to read posted studies from European bodies  citing the differences between US inner city crime dynamics and European crime dynamics and how the US mode is moving to Europe. Even when I provide you with the specific pages to read. But hey, the link I posted earlier in this thread, which you likely didn't read either, shows that firearm crime has doubled in the UK since the ban, and that illegal smuggled arms can be bought by criminals for less that I pay legally at retail here in the US. It confirms the very same reasons that can be found in those studies I posted the the last thread that you refuse to acknowledge because they directly contradict your position.

Also from that BBC article:

Much is made of the higher American rate for murder. That is true and has been for some time. But as the Office of Health Economics in London found, not weapons availability, but "particular cultural factors" are to blame.

A study comparing New York and London over 200 years found the New York homicide rate consistently five times the London rate, although for most of that period residents of both cities had unrestricted access to firearms.

Where the "3 times more likely to be murdered is concerend..." and

"In metropolitan areas, the homicide rate in 2005 was 6.1 per 100,000 compared with 3.5 in non-metropolitan counties"
3.5 in the countryside? That's twice as high as in the UK yes?

You have apparently never been to the US yet seem to know what life is like. Others have pointed that out to you as well, including Europeans who have actually been to the US. I have yet to even hear a firearm fired in anger, including years spent living in Chicago. The vast majority of people will live and die (of natural causes) with the same experience.

In the worst case scenario, 5.5 out of 100,000 people get killed by a firearm.
In the typical non criminal-on-criminal scenario perhaps 2-3 out of 100,000
In Europe perhaps 1.5 out of 100,000

Tell me. Is the difference great enough even in the worst case scenario to make any real difference to your daily life? Really. Especially since (using the same per capita data I posted before):

Risk by comparison x 100,000:

firearms - 5/2
Automobiles - 14
Tobacco - 650
Alcohol - 150
Heroin - 80 (fully banned, btw)
Cocaine - 4 (fully banned, btw)

You are 30 times more likely to have an alcohol related death (using the worst case firearm statistics) than firearm related, and guess what? The same holds true for Europe. As best as I can determine from a ranged of partial information you are (at least) 30 times more at risk from a liquored up receptionist in Europe than I am at risk from firearm violence in the US even if I were a gang banger. Unless you are a total hypocrite than you must be equally incensed about the ready availability of alcohol.

As your map suggests, there are some states where I'm more likely to get hit by lightning than others. There are some countries where I'm more likely to get eaten by a shark. Should I quake in fear walking down the street to see a tourist spot in Australia because of all the Great White shark killings and mailings that occur in Australia? Should I even be terrified to go for a swim in the ocean?

Outside of a limited number of urban communities in five counties there is virtually no firearm crime. Period. Statistics show that the vast majority of the cases (at least upwards of 80 percent into 90 percent) of firearm homicide involve both the shooter and criminal having extensive previous criminal histories. If you are not a gang banger or career criminal, you are not notably at risk. Retail professions do skew that somewhat, but then there are often policies in place that discourage self defense.

You fail to address why specific weapons like the assault rifles that are a direct part of this discussion should be banned, if they only make up less than 2 percent of firearm crime. Other than the fact that you don't trust yourself, your family or your neighbors with such weapons and it makes you FEEL uneasy.

Up until 1920 firearm ownership in the UK was easier than it was in the US. Still, the US had far more firearm homicides. No correlation based on the banning the "tool" aspect. Firearm crime has increased in the UK since the recent, almost total ban. No correlation based on the banning the "tool" aspect.

We have gone over this all before. You failed to address most of my support materials at the time, falling back to a gross statistic with no analysis of specific counter points. But hey, look at Europe today. They may not be quite there yet but they are working hard to catch up, bans and all. BTW.

Charon
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 01:31:47 PM by Charon »

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2007, 02:41:26 PM »
well... charon said it so I don't have to..  got to figure out if he left anything out...

Oh... angus..  so you feel safe knowing that it is against the law for your criminals to use guns so that should be enough to stop em?

And of course I think people should be allowed to carry concealed handguns...

Lets take a situation with the best of each of our thinking involved....

Lets say that some nut decides to do a school shooting... unfortunately for him... he is aware that it is illegal for him to use a pistol soo.... thus being stopped dead in his tracks he can only get a 3" magnum 12 guage shotgun with a 6 round capacity and a bandolier of shotgun rounds...  when he runs dry he has to spend seconds reloading...

Luckily he only has this underpowered weapon but he is still managing to kill everyone he sees..

now... you barricade yourself into a room with a whole group of people.

your scenario is  to just wait to die.

Under the best of my concealed carry scenario... someone in the room has a handgun and.... knows how to use the damn thing.  

In fact... several people out in the hall have concealed weapons and are at that very moment... putting fat round slugs into mister nutjob.  

I fail to see how you have helped anyone with your laws.   I can't help but see how my idea is better.

Do you know how many unjustified shootings are committed by concealed carry people here in the US by the way?

Looking at the katrina riots and looting...  would you want or not want a firearm?

lazs

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2007, 03:53:19 PM »
Here's another angle. Lets say that Iceland had the same firearm homicide rates as the US.

That would mean, say 16 people killed each year by a firearm. Of those, perhaps 10 people would be criminals killed by other criminals. If Iceland is in line with the rest of the world, during the same time period perhaps 480 people would die an alcohol related death. A high percentage of those would be "innocents" killed by a drunk driver. Off the top of my head, we get an approximate "Columbine" worth of kids killed each day from alcohol in the US. Not all in one place, but just as dead.

Now, exactly what should we be trying to ban first, for the good of society, the good of the children, whatever?

Personally, I vote neither, focusing on personal responsibility and punishing those who criminally misuse either a firearm or alcohol. Oddly, people don't seem to have a problem with this approach when it is the far more lethal alcohol involved, yet  they really want to punish the tool and legal, responsible users when it is the firearm involved.

Charon
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 03:55:52 PM by Charon »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2007, 04:06:55 PM »
Originally posted by Charon
Here's another angle. Lets say that Iceland had the same firearm homicide rates as the US.

That would mean, say 16 people killed each year by a firearm. Of those, perhaps 10 people would be criminals killed by other criminals. If Iceland is in line with the rest of the world, during the same time period perhaps 480 people would die an alcohol related death. A high percentage of those would be "innocents" killed by a drunk driver. Off the top of my head, we get an approximate "Columbine" worth of kids killed each day from alcohol in the US. Not all in one place, but just as dead.

Now, exactly what should we be trying to ban first, for the good of society, the good of the children, whatever?

Personally, I vote neither, focusing on personal responsibility and punishing those who criminally misuse either a firearm or alcohol. Oddly, people don't seem to have a problem with this approach when it is the far more lethal alcohol involved, yet  they really want to punish the tool and legal, responsible users when it is the firearm involved.

Charon

Drunk driving is banned. Nobody (at least not me) wants to even ban firearms, just control their ownership in order to keep them out of the wrong hands. As long as I know that a criminal or a mental patient can't easily to purchase a gun let alone legally own one, I'm happy.

The odds of facing an armed one drops significantly.

This is where we clash with conspiracy buffs like lazs who are constantly worried about bad daddies coming to take their toys away. :D
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline BiGBMAW

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2007, 04:21:38 PM »
there is no conspiracy theory

..it has happened..they have bannd many forms of firearms..especially in Kalifornia

Turn them in-register-or remove form state  And the sissies always are trying..next its "hi powered sniper rifles" or your grandpas 3-06..or registered ammo..or making all guns imprint serial numbers on spent casings...the lists goes on and on

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2007, 05:38:18 PM »
Charon,

Here is the reason Angus gives us so much trouble concerning crime in Iceland.

1. Iceland is a homogenious population of caucasian northern european descendant people. Current population aprox: 300,000. More than half living in one major city on the island. The majority of "new and very VIOLENT" crime in the West(US & EU) is from non-caucasian immigration and young males of long time local non-caucasians.

Iceland is very careful about who it allows to take up house keeping on the island.

2. Iceland's population and crime statistics mirror that of the state of Maine who's population is 1.25M with a 96.9% caucasian population. Maine has a lower homicide rate. About 1.5 a year vs. 3 a year in Iceland.

3. Maine's constitution flat out prohibits the infringement of it's citizens right to keep and bare arms.

4. Mixed cultural\race populations have high crime rates. Homogenius populations have low crime rates. As you go south from the state of Maine the crime rates increase as the homogenious population percentage decreases. If you apply a microscope to the states south of Maine you will find those increases in crime rate are found in high population areas. Large cities with diverse non-homogenius populations. You also find a disproportinate number of crime types are commited by noncaucasians against noncaucasians.

You don't have to use Wikigarbigia to get all this information. It's available on every country, state and city home page. Wikigarbigia is edited to make certin statistics look roasy for vested parties.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2007, 06:23:28 PM »
I must restate my Alcohol figures. While looking for other statistics I came across the source of my relative risks figures cited earlier. What was not stated directly but what is apparent when reviewing those and other numbers is that the per capita figures are per capita related to number of users and not total population figures. Also, the 150,000 figure is a bit high compared to common figures I have come across that show a total of 75,000-85,000 alcohol deaths to common figures of 11,000 to 14,000 firearm deaths if you just consider homicides and accidents.  Roughly 6 times as many alcohol deaths.

But, by the same token, I see national FBI figures that show a per capita TOTAL murder rate of 5.6 of which roughly 2/3 were firearm related. That would suggest a roughly 3.6 total firearm deaths per capita. Also, the figures I've seen from JAMA show 71 percent of the shooters having a previous criminal history and a variety of figures show 50 -75 percent averages for the victim having a criminal record (much higher is some urban areas). That would suggest something closer to a per capita risk to non criminals at 1 to 1.5.

BTW, you are at about 4 times the risk of being stabbed, and about the same risk (though slightly higher) of being either beaten to death with hands or beaten to death with a blunt object as you are being killed by ANY type of rifle.

So, to restate the Icelandic comparison with adjusted figures, you would have  say 10 total firearm deaths if Iceland had the same worst case firearm death rates and 96 dead from alcohol if they were comparable to what you can find for alcohol deaths throughout the world. Doesn't change the point all that much.

Oddly, there is abundant firearm data you can find but it's hard to find alcohol statistics (per capita, hard numbers, etc) internationally beyond the UK. Other statistics as to the "leading cause of death" percentages seem to reflect a fairly common match though. Other bias issues include adding suicides to firearm deaths without correlating general suicide rates per capita internationally, classifying a 21-year old as a child (both DUI and firearm); adding homicides and manslaughter in with "accidental" deaths; including police killings of criminals under homicides (for example, 270 of the 11,000 noted above); etc. No consistency at all. In fact, it can be too easy to pick on the UK since the UK is apparently one of the rare countries that collects a depth of such data.

An interesting aside, the number of cited alcohol users is roughly the same as the number of legal gun owners in the US. I had always though there were more drinkers in the US.

Charon

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2007, 06:35:07 PM »
This is where we clash with conspiracy buffs like lazs who are constantly worried about bad daddies coming to take their toys away.

As BiGBMAW points out it is not a conspiracy. I can link to a wealth of federal and state regulation and cases where licensing and registration moved directly into banning and confiscation.

Drunk driving is banned. Nobody (at least not me) wants to even ban firearms, just control their ownership in order to keep them out of the wrong hands. As long as I know that a criminal or a mental patient can't easily to purchase a gun let alone legally own one, I'm happy.

Drunk driving is banned just like murder, armed robbery and armed assault are banned. With drunk driving the focus is on punishing criminals for their behavior, either through a traffic stop or after an accident. With guns, the focus seems to be on banning the gun, which only impact the legal gun owner and not the criminal gun owner, where experience in the UK suggests they find a way to get a gun (even cheaper than I can legally) even if they are banned.

Or the focus on semi automatic rifles (assault weapons). For a variety of practical reasons they are seldom used in homicide. Far less than a knife and even less than hands or a blunt object. Yet they are No. 1 on the ban to-do list. Why, because those that want broader bans consider them to be easy meat, something they can do now while they work on the rest.

I have no problem with keeping firearms out of the hands of mental incompetents or violent criminal felons (not that they won't get them anyway). Of course, just where do you lose your right? Feeling a little down and go in for a few session?

Unli
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 06:58:35 PM by Charon »

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2007, 07:16:44 PM »
Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]

The odds of facing an armed one drops significantly.

This is where we clash with conspiracy buffs like lazs who are constantly worried about bad daddies coming to take their toys away. :D

We already have laws in place to do that. We have had these laws for a very long time.

Criminals are criminals because they have no regard for the  law.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2007, 06:28:13 AM »
Charon:
"So, to restate the Icelandic comparison with adjusted figures, you would have say 10 total firearm deaths if Iceland had the same worst case firearm death rates "

I get some 15. You just divide with 1000.
That is firearm homocide BTW. Well, it's August and we're sadly up to ONE.
We should then have had 52 registered gun violence crimes (I belive we are at nil), and 23 gun injuries (same), as well as 16 suicides from gun (we have one, the same one as in the murder).
As for Alcohol death, - that's normally an inwards issue. Like the suicides. You kill yourself. I'd rather adress the smokers then, for they are also responsible for other's deaths -by-puffs. However you seem to have a more frequent gun-related problem than death by alcohol anyway, 15+52+16? I'd say that's big enough for a problem.
BTW I used Euro-figures this time, not Icelandic. And as I stated, Europe has a nice recipy for trouble with multi-cultures, multi languages, eastern block mafia, and a denser and bigger population than the USA.
Anyway wasn't the thread about guns anyway? I'll skip the smokers.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2007, 07:04:47 AM »
Why nobody is worried that by owning a drivers license some authority will come and take the right away because they're registered. :rolleyes:

Much better to drive around with no license, free. And of course without a seatbelt huh, lazs, anyone? :lol
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone