Author Topic: AvA Vision  (Read 2285 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by storch
he was asking and we are considering. ded if there is a continuos furball happening how can you find a 1v1?  anyways there is no new persona.  I am still full of crap and hot air

:rofl Finding one, and jumping in in an existing 1 vs 1 are two different things aren't they?  You are right, when there is a furball you cant find 1 vs 1, but ganging someone 3 vs 1 or just come in for the pick does not make furball either does it?  And you always have the option of leaving the 1 vs 1 alone and wait for the next or get the winner.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

storch

AvA Vision
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2007, 10:20:50 AM »
c'mon ded all of us have been on both sides of that scenario.  no need to poke me in the eye about it.

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2007, 10:29:44 AM »
I'm glad you had a good time in the AvA last night storch. You're response to my post last night illustrates my point.
Given the size of the player base in AH, the AvA should be able to draw and hold 150-200 players and field 50-60 players on an average night but it doesn't. When 15 players in the AvA is a good night there is something seriously wrong with the setup philosophy.

ergRTC -you make a good point on milk-running, but the tools are there for the CM's to make the reward for doing it not worth the effort it takes.

In answer to the original questions:
#1 - I'd like to see long setups with rolling plane sets - three months minimum. And I'd like the arena settings configured so that base capture is possible but  difficult and see object down-times reduced so that a good fight can't be killed.
#2 In a year I'd like to be able to log in to play and have a good sized battle going on every time I do. In four years time I'd like to see the arena have a few legendary rivalries between players and squadrons (and I'm not talking about the text-buffer and bbs purse fights that currently pass for rivalries).

another 0.02

asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2007, 10:58:09 AM »
Originally posted by storch
c'mon ded all of us have been on both sides of that scenario.  no need to poke me in the eye about it.

Not really, unless I know it is you or TB on the other side :rofl

I think you poked me first when you said I made someone log off after he met my wrath :rofl You don't want to get poked, don't start poking.  Although, I enjoy poking you and I think the same goes for you too :D

storch

AvA Vision
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2007, 11:02:54 AM »
asw,

barring a major crash on the MA servers I don't think I have seen more that eighty players on ever and that was back in AH1.

the change from I toII caused many players with marginal systems to leave.  since AHII we have never seen the level of involvement we were accustomed to seeing prior to the change.

in my experience when we do have that many players on it is absolute bedlam, reminiscent of the monkeys in the kitchen in the movie "Jumanji" and 200 makes a typed exchange between slash27 and I seem like a polite garden party exchange of pleasantries.

I think that be it's very premis the AvA will have limited appeal and that's the way of it.

contrary to what humble opines I believe that the squads like JG3, VF27, 880, 13th sentai, 332nd and others now forgotten made the old CT the great place for squad competition.  last night JG54 vs 80th headhunters had some nice fights without a single cross exchange on 200 from either side inspite of some vultching and HO'n occurring.

naturally rivalries between the squads often spilled over onto the text buffer and subsequently the BBS.

as in any competetive endeavor sometimes tempers flair and elbows are thrown that is the nature of male competition and as in any other event of this type once the competition is over usually the competitors can have a beer and be friendly.  that final element is what is missing to complete the cycle in here and possibly why some of these seething exchanges upset some of the weaker players.

the point is that there is no one event or occurrance, no one personality or group of players that has caused the AvA to remain relatively empty the truth is that it's a combination of many factors many of which are simply completely out anyone's control.  

there are some elements that are within our control and one of those is 200.  we all know who responds when buttons are pushed.  we can all name those players.  soon there will be new players who will react in similar fashion as there have been some notables in the past.  

personally as I have had to quit drinking gobs of beer daily I tend to be far less bellicose so if you see any difference in me that would be it.  no beer = mellower storch.  however the innate and just below the surface aggression that is me is there, it's always there and will be until my soul departs from the flesh.  

with players such as myself and others who know who they are but will remain unnamed by me it's simply better to not engage them when they shoot you down or whatever.  I promise you this if you leave me alone nine times out of ten I will leave you alone.

or not but remember it takes a minimum of two to argue.

storch

AvA Vision
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2007, 11:04:08 AM »
Originally posted by dedalos
Not really, unless I know it is you or TB on the other side :rofl

I think you poked me first when you said I made someone log off after he met my wrath :rofl You don't want to get poked, don't start poking.  Although, I enjoy poking you and I think the same goes for you too :D
sorry I heard about it from another player so I should not have commented on that.  

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
AvA Vision
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2007, 11:08:12 AM »
I agree with storch...

I also do not see # for # sake as something to strive for.  30-40 player is probably more than I would even like.  Somewhere around 20 is great but I am really not sure.

as far as

ergRTC -you make a good point on milk-running, but the tools are there for the CM's to make the reward for doing it not worth the effort it takes.

The reward is not the base capture in AvA.  All we would do is drop the eggs and try to get home.  We never had any intention (in those days) of capturing anything.

Anybody remember back in AW when some of the squads would do those infiltrate and extract missions?  They would have to get deep into enemy territory, pick up some missing squaddie and get back alive.  I always had to laugh at those (in a positive 'that is too cool' kind of way).

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2007, 11:25:34 AM »
Well seeing as you already have what you want I'll leave you to it and wish you luck.

asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
AvA Vision
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2007, 11:29:27 AM »
I wouldn't mind seeing smaller maps, taking into account the highest number of players I've ever seen in there (aside from MA crash) is about 20-30.

Also making base objects have a really short downtime so that milkrunners can have their fun but not the landgrabbers, because that porks the map on a reset.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 11:47:58 AM by scottydawg »

Offline gusman

• Nickel Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2007, 11:44:50 AM »
The reward is not the base capture in AvA.  All we would do is drop the eggs and try to get home.  We never had any intention (in those days) of capturing anything.

Helo AvA,

I think this arena should mimic WWII combat as close as possible.

I would love to see more team work in this arena. 1 v 1 was not the way WWII was fought.  That was a good way to get ganged and then killed.  I think every pilot in WWII would jump to have a 3 or 4 v 1 situation in their favor. The more the merrier as in lets kill this guy before he gets lucky and kills one of us.

Squads like the 332nd Mongrels <> running missions always makes for a fun fight. daddog even lets us know their plans in advance  :noid

So more squadron participation would be great

:aok

gusman44

Lt Cdr gus
801 Squadron FAA
Squadron XO

Offline bkwolf

• Copper Member
      • http://www.avengersonline.com/index.html
AvA Vision
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2007, 12:31:31 PM »
So if Im following this thread right.. if a squad (say 15 to 18 strong) logs in to run missions to close and capture base's,and does get a reset it will shut the arena down for days?is that right?(new,just asking)

IMO it should reflect ww2 as it was,squads/lonewolves working together for a common victory(grab land,move the front,destroy factories..ect) for either side.The ww2 where I come from a reset was a good thing,typing on the "all"channel we win..taunting them to try it again.
Bkwolf
~Avengers~
AVA Axis

Currently MIA

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2007, 12:36:47 PM »
Are you WWI pilots?  If you are I will shut up and go play somewhere else.  

You have what you ask for in the MA.  Why do you need another one?

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
AvA Vision
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2007, 12:40:18 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
Are you WWI pilots?  If you are I will shut up and go play somewhere else.  

You have what you ask for in the MA.  Why do you need another one?

I is confused. Who are you talking to?
:confused:

storch

AvA Vision
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2007, 12:47:02 PM »
Originally posted by bkwolf
So if Im following this thread right.. if a squad (say 15 to 18 strong) logs in to run missions to close and capture base's,and does get a reset it will shut the arena down for days?is that right?(new,just asking)

IMO it should reflect ww2 as it was,squads/lonewolves working together for a common victory(grab land,move the front,destroy factories..ect) for either side.The ww2 where I come from a reset was a good thing,typing on the "all"channel we win..taunting them to try it again.
if the map is reset the arena shuts down and someone from the staff (all gainfully employed and serving in a voluntary capacity as staffers) must come in and reset the arena manually.  I don't think anyone is opposed to base capture and if that's your thing then my suggestion is to capture a base once captured switch to the opposing team and recapture it from the other side but don't pork the arena.  the war winners like to win as we all do it's just that in the AvA their win is everyone else's loss of an arena.

storch

AvA Vision
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2007, 12:47:39 PM »
Originally posted by scottydawg
I is confused. Who are you talking to?
:confused:
is something bothering your eye?