Author Topic: AvA Vision  (Read 2284 times)

Offline KONG1

• Silver Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2007, 12:47:52 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
You don't want to get poked, don't start poking.  Although, I enjoy poking you and I think the same goes for you too :D
The BBS is no place for this homo-erotic banter. Keep this stuff in private messages.

(Disclaimer: Although I regret that this thread is being hijacked, how can one take anything serious that uses the word "vision" in the subject line. Not that I have never had a "vision", I just assumed there was something funny in the brownies.)
“It’s good to be King” - Mel Brooks

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2007, 12:50:48 PM »
Originally posted by bkwolf
So if Im following this thread right.. if a squad (say 15 to 18 strong) logs in to run missions to close and capture base's,and does get a reset it will shut the arena down for days?is that right?(new,just asking)
Reset doesn't shut down the arena, but messes all settings - such as planes available and whatnots - which don't get reloaded until a staff member gets in to the arena to do that.

Oops, Storch explained it already. :)
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
AvA Vision
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2007, 12:51:33 PM »
Originally posted by storch
is something bothering your eye?

Eye don't think so.

storch

AvA Vision
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2007, 12:55:17 PM »
Originally posted by scottydawg
Eye don't think so.
eye suspect maybe so.  you have felt his wrath.

Offline bkwolf

• Copper Member
      • http://www.avengersonline.com/index.html
AvA Vision
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2007, 12:55:36 PM »
AHH thanks for the Info,good to know these little things
Bkwolf
~Avengers~
AVA Axis

Currently MIA

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2007, 01:02:44 PM »
I know I know, I'm not, nor I was regular, but here's my take.

1.) Arrange with HTC to disable scoring, including the stats if necessary.

2.) Limit the plane set to 2-3 max per side. History does not make great gameplay (you can still have historical 'specials' every once in a while).

3.) Make clear that teamwork is fine, but care needs to be taken to balance the sides and fights. 2-3 vs 1, ok, anything more is sort of excessive.

4.) Make AvA staffers be present more often and repeat to new players (and vets) as often as necessary what is expected from players.

5.) Have good fights...

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2007, 01:07:58 PM »
1.) I like the idea of eliminating ranking.  Scoring (I believe) is slightly more valuable, such as K/D ratio and things like that.  However a comparative ranking system is pointless in the AvA IMO.

2.)  Good luck trying to find comparable aircraft that would make for good fights if you only have 6.

4.) I don't know how you would 'make' volunteers show up more often. Seems kind of counterintuitive.

storch

AvA Vision
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2007, 01:16:39 PM »
Originally posted by 2bighorn
I know I know, I'm not, nor I was regular, but here's my take.

1.) Arrange with HTC to disable scoring, including the stats if necessary.

2.) Limit the plane set to 2-3 max per side. History does not make great gameplay (you can still have historical 'specials' every once in a while).

3.) Make clear that teamwork is fine, but care needs to be taken to balance the sides and fights. 2-3 vs 1, ok, anything more is sort of excessive.

4.) Make AvA staffers be present more often and repeat to new players (and vets) as often as necessary what is expected from players.

5.) Have good fights...
those are all great ideas

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2007, 01:22:27 PM »
2.)  Good luck trying to find comparable aircraft that would make for good fights if you only have 6.
Some setups have 5-6 models to choose from per side, from early to late war, which doesn't make for good fights.

4.) I don't know how you would 'make' volunteers show up more often. Seems kind of counterintuitive.
What did they volunteer for? And I didn't mean it forever. Just for a while until "what AvA is about" get imprinted in people's minds.

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
AvA Vision
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2007, 01:34:54 PM »
Personally I like setups with a couple of fighters on each side (and sometimes just one) and a selection of support aircraft.  I think BOB is really the best match of all.  We used to do north africa once in a while and that was very good.

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2007, 02:05:23 PM »
Originally posted by 2bighorn
Some setups have 5-6 models to choose from per side, from early to late war, which doesn't make for good fights.

What did they volunteer for? And I didn't mean it forever. Just for a while until "what AvA is about" get imprinted in people's minds.

True about the models, I guess I'd have to see, it's definitely worth a try...

I was under the impression that the AvA staff is all volunteer. Maybe instead of asking them to spend more time individually in the arena, they could induct more people into AvA staff to spread the load.  In any case I agree that more of a 'moderated' presence in the AvA would definitely help civility and understanding of the 'soft rules'.

Offline bkwolf

• Copper Member
      • http://www.avengersonline.com/index.html
AvA Vision
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2007, 02:25:11 PM »
why is there not a computer(server..whatever) to reset it automaticly ?
Bkwolf
~Avengers~
AVA Axis

Currently MIA

storch

AvA Vision
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2007, 03:32:20 PM »
Originally posted by ergRTC
Personally I like setups with a couple of fighters on each side (and sometimes just one) and a selection of support aircraft.  I think BOB is really the best match of all.  We used to do north africa once in a while and that was very good.
several of us have asked for this periodically but the staff doesn't seem to find that arrangement appealing.

I would love to see some plane v plane set ups and they could be rotated every other day but that would mean additional work for the volunteer staff.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2007, 03:40:23 PM »
Great ideas all.  I can definately look into disabling the scoring via Skuzzy so I'll see what it takes to do that.

As for running longer rolling plane sets for like 3 months, we could definately take a longer-term approach to particular setups. We've ran rolling-plane-sets but typically they only last one month.  What you're talking about is doing this over a much longer period.

Couple more questions
1) Are historical matchups more important to the AvA than the gameplay?
2) If you think historical match-up's are important, what do you envision setups looking like? Length?
3) If you think gameplay but with a historical footnote as important, what do you envision setups looking like? Length?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

storch

AvA Vision
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2007, 05:05:40 PM »
3) for me please.  here's the rub though or at least what I consider to be the rub.  I'll lay out a scenario

It's the pacific the IJN is attacking wake  the beleaguered defenders are running outta planes (they only have 20 odd F2As and 6 F4F-3s) oops we're already outta planes as we have neither model and in any event the A6M2s and oscars (oops no oscars).......  play that out for every possible set up.

HTC's cash cow is the MA.  we here are a few grumpy and often pedantic looneys who are nothing in HTCs budgetary considerations.  if anything we are a zero in the left hand column at best.

the other thing is I guarantee you I would not show up very often for a pacific set up.  in the ETO/MTO I would be more interested and the setups would be more successful because of the greater availability of airframes and maps but even then after three months of Hurricanes HO'n I would be a bit frustrated with the AvA.

I think the week by week changes are perfect.  I also am a great fan of variety.  I think of the great players and often wonder why they return to the same fights against the same people.  us less than stellar players at least have the challenge of not having completely mastered the game and each new player poses different challenges.  I think the game needs to be like that I think the staff should think on their responsibility and attempt different things.  there are ideas yet to be tried that are doable with the inventory at hand.  do more of those.  this past setup was one those.  I want to thank shifty for thinking it and I want to thank the staff for featuring it.  I enjoyed it far more than I thought I might.