Author Topic: AvA Vision  (Read 2286 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2007, 05:37:14 PM »
Storch,

What kind of plane match ups would you like to see?

Using MTO/ETO as the guide

Spit I and Hurri I vs 109E and 110C (1939-40 Battle of France, B of B)

Spit V, Hurri II vs 109F and 190A5 (ETO 1941)

Spit V, Spit IX vs 109F, G 190A5  (ETO 1942)

Tiffie, Spit IX vs 109G and 190A5 A8  (RAF ETO vs LW 1943)

P47D11, P38J vs 109Gs and 190A5, A8  (USAAF vs LW ETO 1943

Hurri IIc, P40B and E vs 109E, 109F 110C  (MTO 1941)

etc etc?
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2007, 05:50:17 PM »
I'm in ASW's camp on this one.

We've done rolling planesets before with the BOB map.  It went over pretty damn well, and drew bigger numbers.

As it is now, its just a payed form of the old dead H2H. Maybe we oughta advertise for more squeakers??

Make the AvA the AvA. Not a furball island.

Just my humble $.02

RTR
The Damned

storch

AvA Vision
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2007, 06:37:58 PM »
I would love to see one allied and one axis plane per every two days for a month.

202vspit1
202vspitv
109Evspit1
109FvspitV
202vP40E
202vP38G
110CvHurriI

for starters
 I think the 110c is as overmodelled as the hurris are leave those two alone.  I would never use the HurriIIc in the game it is wildly and rediculously overmodelled.  It's so far off that it really has no place in an AvA setup IMHO.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2007, 07:22:44 PM »
Originally posted by scottydawg
Maybe instead of asking them to spend more time individually in the arena, they could induct more people into AvA staff to spread the load.  In any case I agree that more of a 'moderated' presence in the AvA would definitely help civility and understanding of the 'soft rules'.

Im for it.

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2007, 07:27:57 PM »
Originally posted by storch
I would love to see one allied and one axis plane per every two days for a month.

202vspit1
202vspitv
109Evspit1
109FvspitV
202vP40E
202vP38G
110CvHurriI

for starters
 I think the 110c is as overmodelled as the hurris are leave those two alone.  I would never use the HurriIIc in the game it is wildly and rediculously overmodelled.  It's so far off that it really has no place in an AvA setup IMHO.

agreed on the planeset matches but maybe mix in some lw matches
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2007, 07:32:30 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
Hey humble,

Knowing my plane is no help when dar is not accurate and I cant see where the bad guys are.  How can I make a plan like that.  The way it is know it only helps the guy coming in late in the fight

ded,

That wasnt really aimed at you, it was more of a general observation. I'm still amazed at the differance between the MA, DA and FSO/AvA enviornment as it relates to the mental processing of information. In the MA you have to much time...your often looking at cons that dont engage or sit and wait to cherry pick.

In the DA you know a lot before the fight so your looking at lift vector orientation, angle off other stuff.

You come to the AvA or FSO and it changes again. By the time the cons identified your more or less engaged. So your doing some of your "prefight" before you know enemy plane type. Then you need to modify it to fit the specific con. I like the short Icon range better....

I need to dust the iron paperwieght off and polish my non existant skillz in the thing so I'll be in the AvA as much as I'm up over the weekend (think thats the plane set this week (I'll stop in regardless)....

Storch,

Squads can be good or bad and I'm not trying to make a blanket attack, i'm just recounting what I percieve as historical fact (I was saying the same thing way back).

In the end only the conduct of the regulars will bring it back. We looked at every guy who came to FR as another babyseal to club...but we realized that he had to have fun while we beat him to death....repeatedly. Now you wont keep em all, not even a 1/3 in the end simply because it is harder. But it has to be harder for the right reasons and the playing field has to be more or less even. Do that and it'll grow...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline eh

• Copper Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2007, 12:36:43 AM »
I agree with asw completely, but it ain't never gonna happen.

I sure hope the CT, coming out in two weeks, is an effective substitute.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2007, 09:05:55 AM »
Agree with ASW.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2007, 09:38:54 AM »
Tell you the truth, I dont care about plane match ups.  Lets have some people match ups :D
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
Regarding base capture . . .
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2007, 01:12:57 PM »
We all know "resetting the map" actually porks the arena.

We also know that HiTech has coding that can make some bases uncaptureable.

Why not make half the fields on each side uncaptureable, or at least enough of them that makes a "reset" impossible?

This would leave a substantial number of bases where there can be an ebb and flow of an MA style "war" without the danger of an arena pork.

Many of the maps we have in the AvA are really nice, and it is a shame that we only ever see 2-3 bases on any of them (usually the ones closest together).  Allowing a "front" to move would mean different areas of the map would be in use over the course of the week.

I think it would also help attract more people / squads.  "Mindless furballing" is not for everyone.  Give them a goal, however, and they will fight for it.  This is what makes the Filth missions et. al. so much fun.  There is a goal that people understand, a criteria that defines a "victory" for your side, thus a reason to come to the arena and mix it up.

It is widely known that base captures are "frowned upon" in the AvA because of the porking issue.  Adding a limited amount of base capture back into the mix might be reason enough for some to come in and try it.

Sure, you might get some lamo milk-runner types, but if the ability to reset/pork the arena is removed, who cares?  Let them run away from you, and concentrate instead on that squad or group of lone wolfers who have decided they are going to get A-whatever no matter the cost or opposition.  A tenacious attack against equally tenacious defenders are the best fights IMO.

P.S. I am fully in agreement with the idea to remove ranking from the AvA.  I would prefer that stats still be recorded if possible just because I like to know how I am doing, but the ranking is inconsequential and quite possibly counterproductive.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

storch

AvA Vision
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2007, 01:26:59 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
Tell you the truth, I dont care about plane match ups.  Lets have some people match ups :D
:lol

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2007, 01:14:20 PM »
I thought I’d take time this morning to lay out a few thoughts. The MA has three problems you can overcome: it takes a horde to ‘accomplish’ anything and the planeset is all over the place. In addition, side numbers get out of balance partly because of the need for the horde.

One of the best things the AvA must try to keep, is the culture of switching sides to balance player numbers but I won’t address that here.

Encourage smaller working units instead of the horde. Make base capture easier, not harder. Reduce the hardness of town buildings, it WILL encourage those smaller units who come in from the MA and want to accomplish something without needing a horde, both for captures or the defensive rolls. Granted, it sucks that 50 cals will be able to destroy buildings but it’s a needed trade off.

Allowing better planes to encourage base capture is a terrible idea IMHO.  That discourages the side that’s already down fields at the very time you need to give them better planes to keep their numbers up for defense.

Set some bases as uncapturable so the arena does not reset. I forget, can we do that without rebuilding the terrain?

And keep in mind, no matter what change you make, the current population isn’t going to like anything that ‘might’ change their game play but a bigger community will make them happy in the end.

That's my 2 pennies worth, but whatever you do, I applaud the effort.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline bkwolf

• Copper Member
      • http://www.avengersonline.com/index.html
AvA Vision
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2007, 10:48:47 PM »
Good ideas to keep the arena from being porked.Im sure a lot of squads would like that.

If a squad has fighters,jabos and bomber pilots not all would want to just furball,and maybe like me are not real keen on the p51vp51 MA type of planeset/gameplay.Im more the jabo/bomber type but as it stands now in the AVA..I cant,I have to just furball or go to the MA and shoot at p51s and spits in my b17:(

But to limit  better planes to encourage base capture wouldnt be the thing to do,as Easyscor said.
Bkwolf
~Avengers~
AVA Axis

Currently MIA