Author Topic: English for beginners...  (Read 5796 times)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2007, 03:19:04 PM »
Originally posted by Ghastly

Once you are informed that a group of people *MIGHT* find a certain reference to them offensive, why would you continue to use it?

I might have to reread this thread, but I thought the only player that suggested continuing using it after finding out it was offensive later corrected himself and decided not to?
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2007, 03:22:08 PM »
Originally posted by Lengro
I sincerely hope you plan to return someday!
That's given

Originally posted by Vudak
2Bighorn...  If you knew who I am in real life, you might not toss around the "ignorant" comment so much.
Why not? Offense can only be taken, or some such nonsense, so I'm off the hook...

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2007, 03:30:38 PM »
It's hard to see why an american, or any other race would be offended by typing "Jap."  In the age of internet, everything gets shortend, using it verbally might be a different story.....

That said, only a Japanese person could decide if that word is offensive to them.  If it is, it's hard to argue that it shouldn't be offensive to them.  You can say you didn't mean it in an offensive way, and they might tell they understand but do not appreciate being called in that manner.  Then again, maybe not.  

Guess it is a fine line, and with only brief words, things and meanings that are not intended can be interpreted different ways.  Personally, I know there may be an issue with the word "Jap," so therefore I just type the extra 5 letters (takes less than 5 seconds) to avoid the whole situation to begin with.  Same time, I would call the British "Brits," only because there doesn't seem (to my knowledge) to be much controversy around it.

Not everything in life follows what seems to be logically arguments.  British to "Brit", and Japanese to "Jap" seem to not always translate in the same way.  I guess it can be maddening for it's lack of logic, especially with PC nuts on the loose.  When I was in my fraternity days, people would say stuff like "so you joined a frat."  to which we would generally reply, "do you call your country a c**t."  A bit crude I know, just thought I'd throw that in there.

In short, to non-Japanese people it may seem like a no brainer, but we are dealing with another culture.  Personally, I would rather spend 3 seconds and type 5 extra letters, just to make an issue a non-issue....though as an American I would not find the word offensive.
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2007, 03:31:33 PM »
SKJohn, Kermit de Frog, toonces and ozrocker all argued for why it should be OK or at least not a problem - and toonces is the only one who I saw chime in and say (paraphrased)

"Maybe it doesn't matter how I feel about it, maybe it's what they feel that matters".

Which is the point.  

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2007, 03:46:12 PM »
Originally posted by 2bighorn
That's given

Why not? Offense can only be taken, or some such nonsense, so I'm off the hook...

:rofl

You'll always be off the hook for "offense" in my book - but I'll hold ya to irony ;)
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2007, 04:50:46 PM »
People don't choose to be offended or not.  It is an emotional reaction and we humans almost never have control over that.  Why would a certain word be offensive and another not?  Well, has to do with the culture you absorbed as you grew up.

Just be polite and don't use terms that others are offended by, and if you do, don't be sactimonious and surprised when they call you on it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2007, 05:33:16 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Just be polite and don't use terms that others are offended by.

agreed.
and if you do

Just established we shouldn't, so I guess you are talking about when we are unaware of the offensive meaning - then:
don't be sactimonious and surprised when they call you on it.

I would think surprised would be a pretty normal reaction since we didnt knew - and we should also be thankfull for being called upon it.

sanctimonious? - but then we in the first place should know of the offensive meaning - and we allready have established we shouldnt offend?

Should I just stick to my own language and dont try to be smart in another language? :)
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline Dutchie

• Copper Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2007, 06:10:20 PM »
They call me sweetheart bag, foreigner, "pass the Dutchie to the .....", duckie, cloggie, ......

They even fediddleed up my avatar!

:cry :cry :cry

pls make um stop Skuzzy  :t
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 06:15:13 PM by Dutchie »

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2007, 06:10:27 PM »
I'm offended by "Insensitive Jerk"......but my wife refuses to stop calling me that.

:D
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2007, 06:12:42 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
I'm a Finn.  You can use that one.  We don't care (at least us American Finns).
Neither do I, nor any of us Finns here in AH. :) (Well, I haven't heard of anyone being insulted by being called a Finn!)

Too bad none of the Japanese AH'ers actively visit the BB anymore (where's Mitsu?), maybe they could give some insight to the problem at hand.
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
English for beginners...
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2007, 07:17:52 PM »
Originally posted by lengro
ok - it seems I shouldn't feel to bad about my english since the topic is debatable amongst native english speakers :)
It is an unfortunate truism that most non-native speakers on these boards have a more comprehensive grasp of the language than the natives.  :aok
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Wax

• Nickel Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2007, 07:33:10 PM »
Originally posted by Dutchie
They call me sweetheart bag, foreigner, "pass the Dutchie to the .....", duckie, cloggie, ......

Thats not the only thing we call you :D
Army of Muppets
 Make this real...the only muppet I have any respect for is Fester. Rest of you muppets can swab my sweat. Trikky

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2007, 07:39:43 PM »
legro,

I wasn't addressing the people who didn't know and who change their vocabulary when so informed.  I was refering to the people who know it is offensive, but use it anyway and then get outraged about "PC crap" when called on something they know darn well isn't about "PC crap".

People, like you, who didn't know the context can't be blamed for using it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2007, 08:01:38 PM »
Originally posted by 2bighorn
Before, during and after the WWII, Japanese were considered lesser race, subhumans, etc and abbreviated word was widely used in that context including in all the gov war propaganda.

Before, during, and after WWII the Japanese have been quite racist themselves. They considered the other asian nations to be lesser racers, subhumans, etc, and the same extended to the european race.  And much of this still exists today.

Internment camps were far better treatment than that the japs gave those aussies and brits got when singapore fell.

Offline Stratocaster

• Nickel Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2007, 08:11:23 PM »
if its offensive... dont use it. Period
Strat

∼<<∼Loose Deuce∼>>∼