Author Topic: The uber-sticks...hahahaha  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
The uber-sticks...hahahaha
« on: October 16, 2007, 12:17:42 PM »
Hahaha, the way some of these guys setup attacks on bombers is just beautiful. While I dont enjoy getting shot down I do love the way some of these uber-sticks setup and execute. Part of the reason I give a after getting shotup is not just good sportsmanship, tho it is that, but I do admire a perfectly setup and executed attack. Most of all a "patient" one.

One guy chopped me up for 3 months before he finally made one mistake. One! After all those engagements one mistake. He hung up just a few 0001s to close to a top cannon. Dont get me wrong, I do win some of these, but I seem to learn more by losing so that takes the sting out of the chutes opening.

And in the F3 views, and there are a lot of them, you get a real good look at not just the attacks but the patience and thought behind them. Yesterday I dropped on a CV and headed for home the long way. On the way back I ran into a high F4U and we ducked, and danced, and dodged for advantage for like 10 minutes. I got him close by slowly leaning off the throttle and hosed him some. It was the last mistake he made. He didn't come in, thankfully cause that plane is like an armored creature from hell when it has "E" on you, but he did have me once when I let him have both the sun and the angle.

After he left at first I thought he was either a coward or low on fuel. Then it hit me! He was there to protect the CV and he didn't know I was bingo on bombs. I thought it was beautiful the way he worked my 26s away from that CV while still keeping an eye on it. Outstanding gameplay in my book.

And thats the thing about the really good ones. They just dont make many mistakes and they are patient against bombers. I'd rather fight a guy who breaks off and sets up again then one who gets greedy and suicidal. The good ones are the ones who control the engagement.

And Im always scheming, training, spending time in the TA, improvising, trying new things, practicing gunning, and then scheming some more. And always, always, always, learning!

Its a thrill to fly against the uber-sticks. And an even bigger one to survive it. Since Ive gone tactical in medium bombers Ive learned the game far better. Because its flying against the uber-sticks that will allow you to grow.

.....bombrich
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 12:20:52 PM by Rich46yo »
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 01:08:57 PM »
I'm definately not an uber-stick.

But I knows what I knows, and I knows that the secret (for me) for attacking buffs is patience.

Every single time I've been killed attacking buffs it's due to getting impatient and attacking from level 6.

It takes time and patience to set up a good slashing attack, reset, and do it again and again.  

If I'm very patient, I can usually take down bombers without getting scratched...but it takes alot of discipline that I seem to lose the more I drink late Friday night...LOL.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 01:14:39 PM »
I look forward to meeting your buffs in my K4, then.

Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 01:47:11 PM »
Patience is mandatory.

B17's seem to be the hardest for me to kill. I've tried a few different approaches with some success leading one way or the other depending on who's flying them. Without a doubt having alt is key to easier repeat attacks. Fly through them then climb out and try it again without getting to shot up.

Coming across a bomber on your first pass might get you a kill or even two if you can put some in the windshield. Taking rear guns out is sometimes easy and sometimes not but once they stop shooting at you their all yours. Let the lead plane live and kill the other two first.

Head on's don't seem to work for me against bombers, I don't know if anyone else has had success against them this way.

Another trick I use is coming in from 45 degree angle working throt and rudder and once close enough use full rudder to get as many hits in the side of them as i can while slip sliding around them. You blow a lot of E that way but your hard to hit and can take 2 out quick.

This one works good when going up against a skilled gunner.  I'll keep him in sight but just  out of range while he's on the way to his target . When he gets close I'll dive in hoping he's in calibration mode and or in scope. Worst case, you blew his drop. He'll have to turn around sooner or later and as long as your patient, you'll have another shot at him when he's most vulnerable.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 01:49:22 PM by A8TOOL »

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 01:52:52 PM »
I've only seen this once, but I've heard others talk about it.

If you stalk the bombers as they close the target, sometimes you can see the bombays open, which is a good indication he has his nose in the gunsight.  As soon as you see the bombay opening, roll in and start a prolonged pass.  

I suppose the more experienced bomber pilots might abandon their run to man the guns, but many more will focus on completing the run at which point they're easy pickins.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 01:56:33 PM »
Patience Schmatience.  Here's my kills and deaths against heavy buffs so far this camp:

B-17 4-1
B-24 20-2
B-26 2-1
Lanc 7-1

Total 33-5

Almost all are from level or high six.  Why mess around wasting time when it's so easy this way?  Sure I might survive a couple more times but I'm happy with a 6.5:1 K/D ratio.

If you're good enough to shoot me down before I blow the wings off your bombers with my 190A-8 or 110G-2 then .

[EDIT]  BTW, probably half my deaths are my own stupidity... collisions!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 02:00:30 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 02:01:47 PM »
This'll give you pause:

bombrich has been killed 3 times by Doras; meanwhile, he has 5 kills of Doras.

Scarey!

fun post there bombrich, hope I can find you in the arenas.

regards, T. E. Shaw

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 02:21:15 PM »
Originally posted by TEShaw
This'll give you pause:

bombrich has been killed 3 times by Doras; meanwhile, he has 5 kills of Doras.

Scarey!

fun post there bombrich, hope I can find you in the arenas.

regards, T. E. Shaw

Doras aren't good buff hunters.

He's killed 4 190A-8's and been killed by them 15 times.

No cause for pause.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 02:30:27 PM »
As far as patience goes, there's two sticks I respect: Simaril and Lusche.

These guys know how to approach bombers with speed and the right angle. My last encounter with Sim was a draw (My B17s vs. his Jug), and Lusche will absolutely kick my prettythang in his 262 because he gets into all the hard angles where I can't lead very well with my turrets.

Don't ever get on my level six.:cool:  FlaydONE sent me a gunsight with a 1K mark on it that works wonderfully.:D
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 02:32:35 PM »
I think he was in B26s?  All you have to do is come up from under them.  No guns there.

I'm going to the TA too tonight.  i need some point and destroy practice
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Domin

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 02:43:07 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos

I'm going to the TA too tonight.  i need some point and destroy practice

You need a lot more then that.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 02:54:11 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
Doras aren't good buff hunters.

He's killed 4 190A-8's and been killed by them 15 times.

No cause for pause.

I never posed as a great Buff stick. Nor did I refer to any of my stats and dont see why anyone would bother looking.

For one thing stats are misleading. Goons are counted as bombers, get jumped a few times in the bombsight or on landing, and boom! your stats can look ragged. A lot of things can happen with ranks and stats. Ive come across some terrific sticks with rather poor ranks. But who cares right? And why would anyone even bring it up? Shaw thank you for the compliment sir. Hopefully one day i will be a really good gunner.

Ive also ran into some guys in 190s that really know what they are doing. So to them.

Try coming under my 26s. I have a surprise waiting for you.;)

I dont even know what a Dora is guys. Ive only been in the freaking game 3 tours.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 02:58:42 PM by Rich46yo »

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 02:57:30 PM »
Originally posted by thndregg
As far as patience goes, there's two sticks I respect: Simaril and Lusche.

These guys know how to approach bombers with speed and the right angle. My last encounter with Sim was a draw (My B17s vs. his Jug), and Lusche will absolutely kick my prettythang in his 262 because he gets into all the hard angles where I can't lead very well with my turrets.

Don't ever get on my level six.:cool:  FlaydONE sent me a gunsight with a 1K mark on it that works wonderfully.:D

Yeah Lusche is just brutal in that 262.:O  Always a "pucker" when he's rolling at you in that thing.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 03:02:11 PM »
Originally posted by Rich46yo

Try coming under my 26s. I have a surprise waiting for you.;)

Something tells me it wont be a surprise
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 03:02:18 PM »
Originally posted by Rich46yo
I never posed as a great Buff stick. Nor did I refer to any of my stats and dont see why anyone would bother looking.

Sorry, I only brought it up in response to TEShaw's post regarding your numbers against Dora's but it made me curious to see what the numbers were against A-8's, which was what my original post was about.

See... if TEShaw had never brought it up, I'd have never looked.