Author Topic: Idea: 1 Month Free  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
Idea: 1 Month Free
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2007, 10:07:01 AM »
....ah excuse me...but when I joined this game it was $29.99 a month!! ...please don't expect me to feel sorry for folks having to pay $14  ...dont be so damn cheap
XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^
Proudly serving since campaign #13
"No Rain?" ...."No Rainbow, baby!" ....Bootsey Collins 2009

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2007, 10:07:45 AM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
Although 40 bucks is a tad steep, I think it would be a good idea to have a basic subscription, and a premium one.  The basic one would allow access to the TA,DA and an MA arena. The premium would allow all these and the SEA, plus a separate MA.

Im not arrogant, but I do prefer to play with people over a certain age. Most parents would see the basic subscription as a bargain and chose that one to subscribe to for their kid.  I dont think $22.50  would be too much to ask for the fun we get  out of the game but thats about as high as Id like to see it.

If it allowed HTC to hire someone tohelp speed up some additions to the game it would be a good thing.

Elitist drivel pure and simple:O

And yes you are arrogent

Have you lost your mind? NEVER tell a business that you are willing to pay more for there service... They WILL raise their prices as market forces dictate. Why hasten that process? If you're so eager to pay more, send me the extra 8 buck a month and I'll invest it for you. :lol
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 10:13:06 AM by MajIssue »
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life
If you keep ignoring "Wife Ack" it will go away.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2007, 10:09:38 AM »
Whats with this free this free that more free of this more free of that.  This is not a new drug that we need to go through clinical trials for a few years before we approve it. You either like WWII equipment and fighting with it or you don't.  What HT should really do is up the price and use the money to better market the product.  I was looking for a game like this for months before someone at work mentioned it.  Google was coming up with garbage every time I did a search for games like this one.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Gatr

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2007, 10:35:08 AM »
Well now kiddies there was a time when we paid on a per HOUR basis
Back in the day for Air Warrior....
Anyone know anybody else that paid over $100 a month???

Gatr  <<<<<
"I think I'll try a nice shinny SPOON the bottom fishin is gettin old"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2007, 10:45:49 AM »
My opinion, for what it's worth, is you can get the game and play offline for free for as long as you want.  I don't know a lot of games that are just given to someone for absolutely nothing.  That's all the free you need.

The two week trial is really nice but, after two weeks, if you're undecided go kill drones.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2007, 10:49:18 AM »
I think I started playing when they were doing a special 1 month free for a limited time. I probally would of quit after the two weeks but i stuck with it because it was free.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2007, 11:17:50 AM »
Originally posted by Gatr
Well now kiddies there was a time when we paid on a per HOUR basis
Back in the day for Air Warrior....
Anyone know anybody else that paid over $100 a month???

Gatr  <<<<<
"I think I'll try a nice shinny SPOON the bottom fishin is gettin old"

There was also a time when we played for free... back in the days of Air Warrior on AOL.

Anybody else know where you can play to your hearts content absolutely free?

BaldEagl <<<<<
Seriously, I started when it was free on AOL.  I can't remember how long it took me to get hooked but it wasn't long at all.  When they moved it off of AOL to GameStorm and strated charging I gladly ponied up.

I don't think a month free would be out of line.  I would think for a total noob it would take that long just to get up to speed and try all the various aspects of the game.  

It really doesn't cost HT anything.  Server space is about it and maintaining the free account for an extra 2 weeks.  If it converts a few more people then it's worthwhile.  

On the other hand, why are we debating this on the BBs when HT probably has hard data supporting conversion rates based on the length of the free trial?
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline DVDA

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2007, 09:12:47 AM »
Originally posted by sunfan1121
I think I started playing when they were doing a special 1 month free for a limited time. I probally would of quit after the two weeks but i stuck with it because it was free.

Exactly the point of my original thread thank you

Originally posted by BaldEagl
There was also a time when we played for free... back in the days of Air Warrior on AOL.

Anybody else know where you can play to your hearts content absolutely free?

BaldEagl <<<<<
Seriously, I started when it was free on AOL.  I can't remember how long it took me to get hooked but it wasn't long at all.  When they moved it off of AOL to GameStorm and strated charging I gladly ponied up.

I don't think a month free would be out of line.  I would think for a total noob it would take that long just to get up to speed and try all the various aspects of the game.  

It really doesn't cost HT anything.  Server space is about it and maintaining the free account for an extra 2 weeks.  If it converts a few more people then it's worthwhile.  

On the other hand, why are we debating this on the BBs when HT probably has hard data supporting conversion rates based on the length of the free trial?

AOL Air Warrior 1, 2 and 3 Were free, then one day it wasnt, they started charging per hour on AOL or $9.99 on gamestorm. Gamestorm included other games like Aliens Online, Godzilla Online, Magestorm, Legends of Kesmai, Silent Death + 20 or so more games. Hmmm $9.99 for over 30 games and you guys want to charge $40 for 1? Gamestorm also offered 1 Month free with access to all their games. 2 weeks from HTC is pretty weak

Offline Hien

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2007, 09:27:43 AM »
Originally posted by DVDA

AOL Air Warrior 1, 2 and 3 Were free, then one day it wasnt, they started charging per hour on AOL or $9.99 on gamestorm. Gamestorm included other games like Aliens Online, Godzilla Online, Magestorm, Legends of Kesmai, Silent Death + 20 or so more games. Hmmm $9.99 for over 30 games and you guys want to charge $40 for 1? Gamestorm also offered 1 Month free with access to all their games. 2 weeks from HTC is pretty weak

Really?  Cause every source I've found seems to say that DosAW was quite expensive :(   Cause if it had been free I would have been a squeaker back in 98' (though, I don't think we had mics back then for flight sims.  So cept' for bad spelling, I doubt you would have been able to tell.) Maybe even before that, as I owned a copy of DosAW, and I proudly own a copy now, it cost me a whole $5 along with 4 other games that came with the "Flight Squadron" CD Pack.  

And I still play offline on it (Windows XP may be a beast, but it can be tamed into the realm of DOS!), and try to get the H2H to work for it with me and my crazy friends, I doubt I'll ever manage to get it to work, but hey, I can try.

Edit: I lost the subject of this thread, and I think that two weeks is more than enough.  By the time most people find Aces High they know they like WW2 Equipment.  I wish my two weeks in the summer of 06 had been longer, but you know what?  I'll live.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2007, 09:31:27 AM »

Gamestorm SUCKED! They RUINED AW, put ZERO $ into software development (The ONE upgrade they tried ruined the dar/pop-up map, and they wouldn't pay whoever they contracted to even FIX it), planes looked like flying sticks, as did bases. You want free, pay 20-30 bucks for IL2, see how it goes. AH isn't the government, they are in this to make MONEY
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2007, 10:03:09 AM »

...and where is Gamestorm now? :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2007, 12:24:49 PM »
Originally posted by Hien
Really?  Cause every source I've found seems to say that DosAW was quite expensive :(   Cause if it had been free I would have been a squeaker back in 98' (though, I don't think we had mics back then for flight sims.  So cept' for bad spelling, I doubt you would have been able to tell.) Maybe even before that, as I owned a copy of DosAW, and I proudly own a copy now, it cost me a whole $5 along with 4 other games that came with the "Flight Squadron" CD Pack.  

And I still play offline on it (Windows XP may be a beast, but it can be tamed into the realm of DOS!), and try to get the H2H to work for it with me and my crazy friends, I doubt I'll ever manage to get it to work, but hey, I can try.

Edit: I lost the subject of this thread, and I think that two weeks is more than enough.  By the time most people find Aces High they know they like WW2 Equipment.  I wish my two weeks in the summer of 06 had been longer, but you know what?  I'll live.

It was expensive at one point in time.  By the time I started in '96 it was a free game on AOL, then went to a subscription service on GameStorm.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2007, 03:05:02 PM »
Isn't H2H still available via LAN?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2007, 03:20:21 PM »
I think HT is astute enough to determine if he has the correct business model or not.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2007, 04:11:07 PM »
After my first week I was hooked!

Trial was up... I couldn't reach for my wallet fast enough!  Paid for a month... then about three weeks later I was so frustrated I ALMOST didn't renew.

But something told me to do so... so I did.. and I gradually got better.. at least good enough to not be so frustrated anymore.

Two years later... well I still got my derriere handed to me on a regular basis.. but much better than before (especially after my hardware upgrade last April).

I haven't played in four months though... money got tight.. ended up closing the bank account and filing bankruptcy.  Got to where I had to use my $15 for gas rather than for a money order for HiTech... but we're about through all that.. and I have a big fat check sitting right here waiting to go into the mail first thing Monday morning!  YESSSS

Looks like wife ack will be on my case once again real soon!!!