Author Topic: who made the best cc weapons in WW2?  (Read 6266 times)

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
who made the best cc weapons in WW2?
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2008, 11:26:38 AM »
If I recall correctly, the M-14 is a .308 (7.62 NATO) version of the M1 Garand that was slightly shorter, and select fire.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2008, 11:29:47 AM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
If I recall correctly, the M-14 is a .308 (7.62 NATO) version of the M1 Garand that was slightly shorter, and select fire.

Yes.  But it's literally the same gun, the same action, even the same styling.  The difference is that it accepts magazines and has selective fire.  Everything he was talking about.  

Many servicemen who had to upgrade from the Garand to the M14 were reluctant, but it quickly became their favorite gun of all time.  Because of this, many were severely pissed when they had to downgrade to the M16.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2008, 11:35:53 AM »
im no experienced in these weapons but i 'know for sure' i would choose the M1G or the M16 over the M14 carbine.

but then i have always been the type to want to make kills from the longest possible range and with the most single shot accuracy.

i am not so fond of scoped weapons though. even with my piddly .22 or .177 air rifles i remove the scope and use the ironsights.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2008, 11:42:42 AM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
im no experienced in these weapons but i 'know for sure' i would choose the M1G or the M16 over the M14 carbine.

but then i have always been the type to want to make kills from the longest possible range and with the most single shot accuracy.

i am not so fond of scoped weapons though. even with my piddly .22 or .177 air rifles i remove the scope and use the ironsights.

The M14 is more powerful, has longer range and better accuracy than the M16.  The M14 has a very slight advantage over the Garand, but only the best shooters would be able to notice it.

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2008, 11:43:06 AM »
No way would I prefer an M-16 over an M-14.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2008, 11:48:58 AM »
from what lazs tells us, you could hit somebody through the belly with the garand round and they might not die for a few days, long enough to shoot back at you anyhow. the smaller calibre round needing to hit hard bone or vital organs to kill a man outright. the Garand's ability to fire so rapidly must have been a huge bonus for the US troops.

It could if hit in the right place. My dad told me a few stories of guys hit in Nam where the round passed through some body with out causing catastrophic damage. That being said, no way in hell I would want to be shot with a 30-06. The odds of you living a few days are not in your favor.:D

The Garand was a huge bonus to US troops no doubt. Well built and designed semi-auto vs a bolt action. I'll take the Garand. Like Arlo said, it even saw service up to Vietnam and its Garand inspired successor is another awsome rifle thats still in service today.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2008, 11:51:30 AM »

I think you are getting the M1 carbine confused with the M14. The M14 is the ****.:D

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2008, 11:55:44 AM »

M1 carbines

M1 Garand and some M1As ( semi-auto only version of the M14)

They are not literally the same gun, but obviously very closely related.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2008, 12:14:07 PM »
very nice! the top one in the 2nd pic is the one i considered the M1 Garand correct?

that is the one i love. the others all look shorter and more modern.

just look at it! its a piece of crafting perfection.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 12:17:59 PM by B@tfinkV »
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2008, 12:18:18 PM »
You may also be confusing the M-14 with the M-4, the M-4 is a version of the M-16.

Yes, the Garand is on the far left in that photo.

SaVaGe

Offline yankedudel

• Copper Member
      • Yankee Air Museum
« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2008, 12:18:31 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
Unless something has changed recently, 7.62x54r is very easy to get a hold of.  It's cheap and you can buy a lot of them for very little money.

The surplus stuff is easy to find online and cheap but sometimes scary.  Thin walled steel casings with dents everywhere and SUPER dirty to shoot too!
Absorbing your bullets as...YAF1
79th FG - Fighting Falcons[/size]
Yankee Air Museum...Become a member[/size]

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2008, 12:19:19 PM »
Some really good reading here guys.  Thanks for all of the input.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2008, 12:20:39 PM »
You should be cleaning the gun anyway.  But I've never had a problem with any of the surplus ammo.

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2008, 12:24:45 PM »
Originally posted by yankedudel
The surplus stuff is easy to find online and cheap but sometimes scary.  Thin walled steel casings with dents everywhere and SUPER dirty to shoot too!

And old. I had some surplus .303 that I shot through my #4 SMLE, that would split the casing's up the middle from about 1/3 of the way up the base to almost the neck. Keep that in mind, when firing old surplus ammo...

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2008, 01:02:17 PM »
I never understood the point of the M1A1 carbine.  It seems to be more of an airsoft gun. What advantages did it have over other guns mentionned in the thread?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you