Author Topic: War birds Vs Us  (Read 4481 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: War birds Vs Us
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2008, 12:01:28 PM »
Just try to give the WB converts a better reception the the AW guy's were given :)

MGD

I arrived in AH about a month or so before the mass AW migration. As I recall, the Kesmerados were given a red carpet welcome. Entire Mega-Skwads such as The Damned and MAW arrived with 50+ players. The MA dynamic soon and forever changed despite some effort to keep the chess pieces roughly balanced.

The WB folks who've introduced themselves on the forum or the arenas, IMHO, have received an outpouring of welcome, help and support.

If your experience was contrary, sorry to hear.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2008, 12:16:31 PM »
Now that Vanscrew is a Bish, I guess I have to take back all the nasty things I've said about him in the intrest of Bish Harmony! :salute
Don't tap dance.    You lose integrity.   Stick to your guns and don't let anyone sway you. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2008, 01:39:45 PM »
WB's had a very loyal following,because paying for it by the hour,gleaned out the A...holes,squeakers,one person shooter types,etc.I found them to be cliqueish, and I never felt comfortable there.

I find AH to be no more or less cliqueish than WB.  In fact, AH might be more so because new players are scolded and berated more than I ever remember in WB.  That said, I remember paying $200 for warbirds one month, and for some people that was standard. :O
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2008, 08:54:54 AM »
image from WB

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2008, 09:42:52 AM »
No, this is an image from WB :lol
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2008, 01:54:48 PM »
even Hitech will have tears in his eyes the 190D9 !!
It was the uberplane of Warbirds some 10 years ago.

They neutered by adding 500lb or so-  call it candicap  :)
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2008, 05:43:57 PM »
Yeah, but they can still single handedly close anything but a large AF. Must be a trade off for the extra weight.
Debdenboys.comAdministrator

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2008, 08:35:48 PM »
Yeah, the 500lbs was the change from 1.1 to 1.11 (the last version before 2.0).  Some guys were smart and started flying with a 500lb bomb before the change.

The amazing thing was that they never changed the ufo P-38L until much later.  Somewhere in the 2.x's the masses switched to the Spit9.  In 1.x, the P-38L rolled like a 190, turned like a Spitfire5, and had a top speed on the deck comparable to the P-47D--and people defended it, said it was based on real data, etc. blah, blah, blah.  Funny how the same programmer has given us a P-38L in AH that is much, much different.  Really, some of you wouldn't believe me if I told you that HT's old 38L used to be the newbie plane of choice: the ultimate furballer.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline kanga

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.steveroot.co.uk
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2008, 01:22:57 PM »
Someone reminded me I have several screenshot from warbirds on my blog :http://www.steveroot.co.uk/2006/12/warbirds.html, they're a year or so old, but not alot had changed when I moved to AH2 about 3 months ago.
And don't worry, I've seen the light and fly AH now ;)

One other thing, There are sheep in Warbirds  :salute

Offline MachNum

• Copper Member
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2008, 05:40:03 PM »
The Warbird's community was great, and it was with sorrow that I left in late 2000 as it became apparent that there would be no new development. I tried the early AH, along with WW2OL, and even Fighter Ace, before taking a long break. Thankfully, the current incarnation of AH is alive and well, so I'm flying again.

There was even a book - "Warbirds: The Story So Far" published by one of my former squadmates - Michael "Burbank" Hyde (who specialized in boutique publishing), that had good history about Warbirds development.
And just for fun, here's a web site of Warbirds easter eggs that will be fun for any old WB pilots out there:
http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/articles/warbirdseastereggs/

Cheers!

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2008, 10:00:56 AM »
Don't tap dance.    You lose integrity.   Stick to your guns and don't let anyone sway you. 
<Salute> Karaya
now if I can get the coffee and spit off of my monitor...
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life
If you keep ignoring "Wife Ack" it will go away.