Author Topic: Ok, so here is the one issue with Aces High  (Read 3818 times)

Offline Pawz

• Nickel Member
Re: Ok, so here is the one issue with Aces High
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2008, 06:32:33 PM »
As a game programmer I like to check out and play other games every now and again. Aces High is an excellent MMO game that I could easily get additted to if I had the time. The realism is awesome and it seems like the Aces High team is adding more content to the game all the time to make the game better.

Here is the one rub I have with the game playing it, and it is a very important aspect I don't think the Aces High team has planned into the game. I have played and help write some MMO games and never have I seen a MMO game with more distain for new members then this one. Even though I enjoyed the overall gameplay from the beginning, as a new member I found myself with nothing to do but practice some and then when I felt like joining in the fun all I ever got was grief.

I would practice flying planes, then join in only to be rediculed. I would play 5" gunner on a CV and shoot down many attacking planes, never once to be congratulated by anyone. Actually, it almost felt like people were pissed that there was a newbie on the CV gun. Whether or not that is true, that is how it felt to me as a new member.

The hatred for newbies in this game is unbelievable and it has more to do with the game design itself then anything else. The game designers need to add game content for new members where they can be respected and not be dished on from the day they join game. It is really rediculous in a way.

Other than that, the gameplay is awesome.

Please gamedev team lessen the hate on the newbies. I really don't see how you can increase your membership much with what they have to go through.

Sincerely,
Loco

LOL looks like someone needs some milk and cookies.
When I die bury me in a P38.

I watch day after day, week after week, tour after tour, the Bishops and Rooks take bases and win maps while the Knights stand there with their thumbs stuck in their butts. It's just pathetic!

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2008, 06:35:10 PM »
I love you guys... there's been a lot of good laughs in this thread on my way here  :rofl

So Locoweed, whether or not others agree with your assesment, it was, evidently, your opinion and your perception.  In your post, you suggested HiTech create content for the n00bs.  I think they already have to some extent (GV's, buffs, field and ship guns, supplies, etc... these are all ways that n00bs can get into the game more quickly and contribute and you often see relative n00bs in these roles) but I'm interested in what exactly YOU had in mind?

BTW, welcome back Storch!

Someday I want to be a respected member of the community too
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline SSgtHam

• Copper Member
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2008, 07:31:10 PM »
Hey Locoweed

I understand what you were trying to say with adding content to help new players advance further and all, but I can tell you from experience that the best way to learn is with other people helping you in the TA or DA or something.  No one ever learned how to fly a plane from "Tutorial Mode" or "Beginner's Mode".  Especially in this game.  I've been play since May of last year, and I still suck.  Horribly.  But nobody has ever singled me out because I was a newbie or because I did something wrong, or because I've asked "wheres teh b29 w/ n00k liek in japan?"  Everyone I've ever met in this game has been incredibly nice to me, because we are all part of a community where we all know what it's like to be a newbie and all that.  Ask anybody whos played this game for a while, and 95% will tell you they've had a great experience.

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2008, 07:53:37 PM »
dude im just gonna say that even though i dont have much exp with MMO's this is the best ive played with the best community, Diablo 2's comunity is so full of cheats that if i ever get on and mess around with my 99 lvl charachters i do so alone and completley legit i mean if you wanna play a legit game there and even on realms your pretty much playing passworded games by yourself or with trusted freinds. such a turnoff (diablo 1 was way more fun anyway)

everyone has been very helpfull. the only resourse for noobs that i miss is the HTH function i spent over 8 months flying head to head until they shut it down. even then i had just the basics of flight down, and it has been maybe a less steep learning curve (the MA is a completely different beast.

still i have the most fun on squad nights, and i know that my knowledge of the game has only grown since getting into a good squad with guys who train on a regular basis.

i used to country jump a lot and it kept me from meeting folks to fly with i would go to wichever side had the least, cause i thought it was more fair, but now i pretty much stay rooks, and ill tell everyone regardless of the Alt monkey tags rooks and everyone gets.

(there are some very good and very nice players on the rook side)

but its a secret so dont tell anyone.
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2008, 09:08:11 PM »
I have been playing for about 4 years now, and I am just starting to get "WTG"'s from countrymen on channel. Usually just one or 2.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2008, 09:22:35 PM »
Heh, I've been playing for nearly 8 months now....do I get wtg's - oh no (mind you, thats because I dont actually get kills very often - or land them.... :D)

*wanders away muttering "must learn to land a plane"*

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2008, 09:26:18 PM »
I think locoweed is right.

You guys griefing and mocking him are just proving his point.

You guys saying he is begging for attaboys are totally missing his point.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 09:29:48 PM by scottydawg »

Offline Wraith

• Zinc Member
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2008, 10:52:17 PM »
As a game programmer I like to check out and play other games every now and again. Aces High is an excellent MMO game that I could easily get additted to if I had the time. The realism is awesome and it seems like the Aces High team is adding more content to the game all the time to make the game better.

Here is the one rub I have with the game playing it, and it is a very important aspect I don't think the Aces High team has planned into the game. I have played and help write some MMO games and never have I seen a MMO game with more distain for new members then this one. Even though I enjoyed the overall gameplay from the beginning, as a new member I found myself with nothing to do but practice some and then when I felt like joining in the fun all I ever got was grief.

I would practice flying planes, then join in only to be rediculed. I would play 5" gunner on a CV and shoot down many attacking planes, never once to be congratulated by anyone. Actually, it almost felt like people were pissed that there was a newbie on the CV gun. Whether or not that is true, that is how it felt to me as a new member.

The hatred for newbies in this game is unbelievable and it has more to do with the game design itself then anything else. The game designers need to add game content for new members where they can be respected and not be dished on from the day they join game. It is really rediculous in a way.

Other than that, the gameplay is awesome.

Please gamedev team lessen the hate on the newbies. I really don't see how you can increase your membership much with what they have to go through.

Sincerely,
Loco

1.)You can't spell.
2.)It's initiation,  if you can get through that, not crack, and not be a total bum, then maybe you'd start getting "<S>"s, or "wtg"s.  But from what I can tell, you've only played for about 3 days and got on the forum to rant about how badly we ALL got treated one time or another.

-\/\/R/-\IT|-|

"The only two things that fall from the sky is manna from heaven, and your plane."

Offline bparker

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2008, 01:51:14 AM »

I agree.
= Wings Of Terror =
= We Own SkyRock =

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2008, 08:04:58 AM »

I once was one of top ranked counterstrike players in the world

Konane, is that you?
See Rule #4

Offline BlkKnit

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2008, 08:18:41 AM »
No look, you cant say he is completely wrong here,

But:

AH is not nearly as rough on the surface as Warbirds was when I was looking to start playing a WW2 sim.  I had played WB's offline and was pretty familiar with it and was aching to get online.  I looked at thier message board for a while and decided it didn't feel right for me.  It felt like you dont belong now, you cant belong without playing and you cant play if you dont belong!

Looked into AH a month or so later and after scanning the boards, I signed on.

So, no this is not the worst game for newbie hate IMO

Once a Knight is Never Enough

Online Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2008, 08:46:48 AM »

One possable solution; The two week free trial should limit the player to the Training, Dueling, and Early War Arenas, once a subscriber, they can explore the rest of the game.

That's a GREAT idea...maybe cut it down to one week.

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2008, 08:48:34 AM »
I disagree Max, one week is barely enough to get a decent handle on the basics, you'd need another week to begin to explore your potential.
It didn't matter to me, I was hooked on the first day and had subscribed before my first week was up :lol
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2008, 09:08:43 AM »
Loco is right of course.

I'd like to know how other games 'design' newbie friendliness into your average game community?

Some ideas:

• Newbie arena.   
  • Scripted tutorial.
  • "Julie from the Loveboat" moderator that can help and guide new players into good squads.

Keeping the young pups from the jackels and guiding them towards the great players of the community would help.

JG11

Vater

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2008, 09:36:18 AM »

He's right--I hate him already  :)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/