Author Topic: The Greatest Gun Battle in History Begins This Tuesday  (Read 2377 times)

Offline SIG220

• Nickel Member
Re: The Greatest Gun Battle in History Begins This Tuesday
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2008, 03:46:06 AM »
Dream on. I'll wager you now it's minimum 5-4 for individual right. It may even get to 7-2. You'll notice, since you've read the oral arguments three times, that even Ginsburg doesn't question on the individual right.

Roberts, Scalia, Thomas and Alito are givens. Kennedy tipped his hand with "“a general right to bear arms quite without reference to the militia either way.”

Name your stakes.

You are right here.  It will be a 5-4 vote, with both the law thrown out as being excessive, and also with the individual right determination from the lower court upheld.   

A fundamental right to own handguns exists in the USA:

_____________________________ ____________

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2008, 08:24:44 AM »
bingie... now you have morphed into "it is a right of the people collectively"??

What is a "collective right" you have never said.. please define.

Nope, your case for the militia is looking pretty sad. the operative phrase in the second is the "right of the people" not "the right of the state".   I don't think even one justice is saying that the second depends on the meaning of the militia.

lazs

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2008, 08:40:26 AM »
guppy.. which brings us to you...  If you believe as you say.. or as I read you to say.. that we as individuals do not have any right to own firearms unless the state says we do and then only if we are trained in war.. and enlisted in whatever they call the militia...

But.. you also say that you have to read the second as it you feel it was intended.. that it should be read as it was written.  and how it was intended at that time.   

You would have to conclude that the founders meant that every able bodied mans right to keep and bear arms could not be infringed since, at the time, the "milita" was... every able bodied man.   The only thing we would be arguing about was the fact that any defenition of "militia" that was different than the original would be...Unconstitutional... without changing the amendment.. you can't change the meaning of the amendment by changing the meaning of a word.

But..that is not what the second is about.  If you look at the style of the constitution and the documents at the time.. it was quite common to put a preamble phrase in front of the operative one.   a "reason" for the importance so to speak.. in no case was it ever the sole, the only reason for the operative phrase...

Why would the second be any different?   Why interpret the constitution on meaning in every case but the second where.. you wish to make a modern meaning that did not exist at the time?

The justices and every worthwhile constitutional scholar agree that the second is a right "of the people" not the state.. the state is secondary.. the state has the right to have a militia but that militia is derived from an armed populace..  the people.. who's right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

even if you used the "reasonable man" argument..  A normal court practice then and now...

Would a reasonable man reading the second find that it meant that the people had no right to keep and bear arms?  that it was a state right and not an individual one?

98% of "the people" say that is false..  98% of "the people" think "the people" means them as an individual.. that it is an individual right.

It seems certain the court will affirm this.   they have been wrong before tho.. if they do... you and bingie and 2% of the country will say it is a bad decision..  if they say it is not an individual right...

Well... the stakes are much higher aren't they?   it is a direct thwarting of the will of the people and the thinking of the scholars of the day.   not just a few but a landslide majority.

lazs

Offline Lumpy

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2008, 09:10:26 AM »
As always your problems are related to education.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmvw7N-Nn1U&NR=1

;)
“I’m an angel. I kill first borns while their mommas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even – when I feel like it – rip the souls from little girls and now until kingdom come the only thing you can count on, in your existence, is never ever understanding why.â€

-Archangel Gabriel, The P

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
guppy.. which brings us to you...  If you believe as you say.. or as I read you to say.. that we as individuals do not have any right to own firearms unless the state says we do and then only if we are trained in war.. and enlisted in whatever they call the militia...

A skilled editor or proofreader not make do you, Jedi. :D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 09:45:29 AM by Arlo »

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2008, 09:46:47 AM »
 But I'd also be lying if how I read the 2nd amendment told me it was just a blanket, everyone can have a gun without any kind of training or regulation.  I don't see it saying that.

It's pretty much right there. Fortunately, it appears a majority of Justices hold a different opinion and will clarify it once and for all.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Bingolong

• Copper Member
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2008, 09:52:52 AM »
What is a "collective right" you have never said.. please define.

lazs

Dec 31, 2007
Definition:rights which are held and exercised by all the people collectively, or by specific subsets of the people. They stand in contrast to individual rights which are held only by individuals.
I answered it 3 months ago please keep up lazie.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2008, 10:14:08 AM »
It's pretty much right there. Fortunately, it appears a majority of Justices hold a different opinion and will clarify it once and for all.

I sure hope you're right.

I'm afraid that they fear crashing all the current restrictions too much to rule so definitively though. I will be quite happy should they prove my fears unwarranted.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2008, 10:28:04 AM »

But.. you also say that you have to read the second as it you feel it was intended.. that it should be read as it was written.  and how it was intended at that time.   

You would have to conclude that the founders meant that every able bodied mans right to keep and bear arms could not be infringed since, at the time, the "milita" was... every able bodied man.   The only thing we would be arguing about was the fact that any defenition of "militia" that was different than the original would be...Unconstitutional... without changing the amendment.. you can't change the meaning of the amendment by changing the meaning of a word.

But..that is not what the second is about.  If you look at the style of the constitution and the documents at the time.. it was quite common to put a preamble phrase in front of the operative one.   a "reason" for the importance so to speak.. in no case was it ever the sole, the only reason for the operative phrase...

Why would the second be any different?   Why interpret the constitution on meaning in every case but the second where.. you wish to make a modern meaning that did not exist at the time?

The justices and every worthwhile constitutional scholar agree that the second is a right "of the people" not the state.. the state is secondary.. the state has the right to have a militia but that militia is derived from an armed populace..  the people.. who's right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

even if you used the "reasonable man" argument..  A normal court practice then and now...

Would a reasonable man reading the second find that it meant that the people had no right to keep and bear arms?  that it was a state right and not an individual one?

98% of "the people" say that is false..  98% of "the people" think "the people" means them as an individual.. that it is an individual right.

It seems certain the court will affirm this.   they have been wrong before tho.. if they do... you and bingie and 2% of the country will say it is a bad decision..  if they say it is not an individual right...

Well... the stakes are much higher aren't they?   it is a direct thwarting of the will of the people and the thinking of the scholars of the day.   not just a few but a landslide majority.

lazs

Clearly I'm not speaking clearly :)

How I read it, was that at the time it was written, the meaning was clear.  It was expected that the people had arms, as they were the last line of defense.  It seems to say that if they can't afford it, that the government should provide it.  All of this stemmed from the people being the militia that could be called up by the Feds with the approval of each state and was trained by each state under guidlines provided by the feds.

So in the end each state could expect that those folks bearing arms were trained to use them by the leaders of the state militia and that they were available for use to protect the state or the country as needed.

So do I believe the government can take away the guns?  No.  Do I believe they have the right to make sure folks are trained to use them and that we're accountable to our state and potentially the federal government to be there if we're needed.  Yes.

So I don't believe the 2nd is just a blanket guns for all amendment without any accountabilty.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2008, 10:51:25 AM »
The SC just went for State's Rights in the Medellin case too.

From Bloomberg:

Justices Antonin Scalia, Clarence Thomas, Anthony Kennedy and Samuel Alito joined Roberts's opinion. Justice John Paul Stevens wrote separately to say he agreed with the outcome, though not all of Roberts's reasoning.

Justices Stephen Breyer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and David Souter dissented. Breyer said the ruling means ``the nation may well break its word even though the president seeks to live up to that word and Congress has done nothing to suggest the contrary.''

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2008, 02:47:02 PM »
guppy... well, now I am not sure what you are saying.   It appears that you are saying (rightly) that the second presumed a right of the people that was not to be infringed.   

That because of this right..  the states could draw from such armed individuals to form a militia..  that it was also up to the states to train said militias.   or... "well regulated"   well regulated could of course, mean no regulation at all.. certainly..  disarming the populace would not be regulating well..  nor even constitutional.

the operative clause of the second is still the right of the people.. the part of the militia is the right of the state and they can do as they please.. if they do not arm people or if they do not train them.. that is up to the state..but.. in no way does it allow them to infringe on the right of the people.

lazs

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2008, 02:56:11 PM »
bingie...  you said, in reply to "what is a collective right"?

"Definition:rights which are held and exercised by all the people collectively, or by specific subsets of the people. They stand in contrast to individual rights which are held only by individuals."

I can't imagine anyone seeing this as a right at all..  it defines "collective" but makes certain that no rights exist..

A "specific subset of the people" is not "the people".. just as white race being a subset of the people does not mean that only whites have citizens rights or that newspapers are a "subset" of the people mean that only they have the right to free speech..

slippery slope you are on their bingie..

What exactly is the "subset of the people" that you feel is "the people" in the second?   It can't be the "militia" because the second does not say that the militia is the only reason for the right.. It does not say

"the militia being necessary for a free state, it is therefore the sole reason for the right of the collective right of the subset of the people to keep and bear arms."

Even if it had.. you would have to ask.. "who belonged to this subset "the militia" at the time?"   Why.. that would be.. every able bodied man.. every individual.. or..  "the people"  the same folk who were mentioned in the rest of the constitution.

In your  country.. your right was conditional...it was always as the king deemed.

lazs

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2008, 06:36:42 PM »
Just as I thought.

From: http://frontpagemagazine.com/Articles/Read.aspx?GUID=70FE1869-03B1-42F0-BA7C-DD8C0320416B

....Robert Levy of the Cato Institute agrees. The senior fellow in constitutional studies at the libertarian think tank spent a lot of his own money and five years of legal plotting to make sure Heller -- the first Second Amendment case heard by the Supreme Court since 1939 -- made it to the high court. I talked to Levy March 20 by telephone from his home in Naples, Florida....

Q: What’s the next big Second Amendment issue you’d like to see the Supreme Court settle in a definitive way?

A: Assuming that we win this case, I think the next big one we’d like to see is what goes under the name of “the incorporation issue.” That is, whether the Second Amendment is “incorporated,” via the 14th Amendment, to apply to the states. You’re likely to see that kind of litigation in a place like Chicago or New York or somewhere where there is really some pretty onerous gun regulations, but it is in a state or local context, not a federal enclave like the District of Colombia.

I think I like Levy a lot!

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2008, 06:57:27 PM »
Thanks guys, I had no idea that the constitution needed to be incorporated.  Perhaps I was clinging onto my innocent thoughts that the laws applied to all of the government.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
For such a Constitutional scholar you don't see to be very familiar with the 14th Amendment and the case law that has been built around it.

You can live in the real world or the world as you wish it was. Your call.