Author Topic: Thank God for my CCW!!!!  (Read 8158 times)

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Re: Thank God for my CCW!!!!
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2008, 06:27:37 PM »
"the "knife attack from 30 feet" thing doesn't refer to knife-throwing... it's about being rushed.

I've seen this demonstrated to local cops at my ex-girlfriend's TKD dojong... cop didn't have a chance. Even if he got a shot off, he still would have been cut deeply :(
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2008, 06:29:03 PM »
I never said anything about the knife being thrown.  It's obvious you have never had any training in law enforcement.

Someone who just got out of prison can be very dangerous with a knife.

P.S.  Battle: a combat between two persons
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 07:18:59 PM by Xargos »
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2008, 06:31:31 PM »
I was responding to Coshy, Xargos.

[edit: Never mind.. I guess you were too.]
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 06:33:12 PM by Dux »
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Coshy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2008, 06:49:52 PM »
Maybe you'd like to try a course in comprehensive writing. Because that statement right there is so far out of left field it doesn't really make sense. A threat is not defined by distance. A threat is defined by actions. Someone shouting at you while you are in your car is not a threat, no matter the distance. Someone standing there "blocking" your car is not a threat, no matter what the distance. If you have time to turn around, open a center console, take a gun out, place it on the dash and look back... there wasn't much of a threat. All of the "WTG!" and "well done!" in the world won't change that. All of the tape measures in the world won't change that either.

Actions are the demonstration of intent, distance is the deciding factor in wether a threat exists.

Here are a few examples since you seem to be a little slow on the uptake.

A guy brandishing a knife 3 blocks away telling me to give him my wallet is no danger to me. The same guy who gets 7 steps away from me while still carrying/brandishing/weilding the same knife and demanding I give him my wallet IS a threat. The difference ... distance.

Someone standing within arms reach of me with two friends of similar intent, while I'm seated in my car, threatening to kick my bellybutton is a threat. The same guy, with the same friends, saying the same thing, on the other side of the parking lot is not a threat. The difference ... distance.

Lets look at my original statement that you seem to not understand. I wrote "I can't speak for Virginia, but here in West Virginia anyone within 21 feet can be considered an threat."

I didnt write 'anyone within 21 feet IS a threat.'.

"... can be considered ..." I'm not sure how much clearer or comprehensive I can be. If the guy in Hornets account was just standing there next to the drivers window reading a magazine I wouldn't consider him a threat. If he is standing there threatening to kick my ass, I'd consider him a threat, especially if my only viable route of escape is blocked by one of his friends.

Distance is as important as actions in determining a threat.
Currently flying as "Ruger"

Offline Coshy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2008, 07:18:50 PM »
Dux, Xargos,

I incorrectly assumed you were refering to a thrown knife, not someone rushing. And you both are right, someone rushing from 30 feet doesn't give enough time to draw and fire accurately. The only hope would be identification of the threat and preparing yourself (i.e. reaching inside your jacket for your sidearm).

The term battle conjures up images of soldiers and warfare, not being assaulted as you put groceries in your car.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2008, 07:23:14 PM »
No problem Coshy.  I'm just sensitive on this subject because I watched an inmate die from a shank and I wasn't able to do a damn thing about it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 07:37:22 PM by Xargos »
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2008, 08:52:04 PM »
Actions are the demonstration of intent, distance is the deciding factor in wether a threat exists.
It's a factor... not "the deciding factor". Actions are the deciding factor.

A guy brandishing a knife 3 blocks away telling me to give him my wallet is no danger to me. The same guy who gets 7 steps away from me while still carrying/brandishing/weilding the same knife and demanding I give him my wallet IS a threat. The difference ... distance.

Excellent example. With one minor exception... the main criteria is "brandishing a knife" and not how far away he is. This makes the statement "anyone within 21 feet can be considered a threat" a bit invalid. You're saying "anyone with a knife within 21 feet can be considered a threat" now.

Someone standing within arms reach of me with two friends of similar intent, while I'm seated in my car, threatening to kick my bellybutton is a threat. The same guy, with the same friends, saying the same thing, on the other side of the parking lot is not a threat. The difference ... distance.

Alot of assumptions there, especially how the story was told. Once again, these people let him turn to his center console, get out a gun, display it on the dash and then ran off. You maintain they were a threat when there seems to actually be little evidence of it as told by the original story teller. Especially given that the story teller felt it was safe enough to stick around sitting in his car.

Lets look at my original statement that you seem to not understand. I wrote "I can't speak for Virginia, but here in West Virginia anyone within 21 feet can be considered an threat."

I didnt write 'anyone within 21 feet IS a threat.'.

Nope... but you did use the word "anyone". How about this: "Someone you consider a threat must be within 21 feet of you before you do anything". You see how this actually says what you describe in later examples? The fact that not just anyone can even be considered a threat makes your initial statement someone stupid.

Once again, learn comprehensive reading because your explanations said something completely different than your statement.

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2008, 09:34:10 PM »
What if it's greater than 21 feet from you?  Wouldn't that put it outside the defensive perimeter?

Walk closer to its' body to meet the 21' provision.  Leave nice heavy footprints after you pick up your ejected brass and throw them down at the new spot ;-)
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2008, 09:40:47 PM »
Well. if you are implying that I post a lot of untrue stories, feel free to point out one.... just one.   I hear the crickets warming up already.  :)

Txmom, I love ya    :aok

OTOH, if I made a mistake about Hornet, let him post the police report and I will, without hesitation, eat humble pie.  There's simply no way a police report would not be filed in a situation like this, AFAIK.  So Hornet, please post it, I am prepared to offer my sincere regrets.

Steve

Hmmm...Police Reports' have a lot of sensitive info in them. I don't know if I myself would post one, even on this forum, Steve. That might be asking for a little too much...

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: April 10, 2008, 10:16:25 PM »
Hmmm...Police Reports' have a lot of sensitive info in them. I don't know if I myself would post one, even on this forum, Steve. That might be asking for a little too much...

This forum has a long history of people making claims like this. It sounds like BS to me as well.

He could take a black marker and mark out the personal info and it would be good enough.

Hell he could even provide the local PD number and an officer who he talked to.... or maybe Charon will track one down like he did the last time crap like this got posted.

lol

Either way he is the one making the claims, if he can't or won't prove it... well that says enough.

Offline Coshy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2008, 11:14:18 PM »
duh

Ok, I give up. You win at the internets.

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2008, 11:20:30 PM »
First off there is no police report. The reason being is A. I didn't break any laws therefore I wasn't charged with anything. B. I didn't press any charges on the three thugs that threatened me because they didn't touch me or do any damage to my personal property. They were arrested on unrelated charges after the officers went over to talk to them and since I wasn't the cause or involved with their eventual arrest I have no accesss to that police report since it's none of my concern. The deptments internal logs would probably show that a stop was made looking for a firearm, but that is not something I would be able to get my hands on, again because I have no need for that log.

Also even if there was a police report and I had a copy I'm not stupid enough to e-mail a copy to anyone, let alone post it on an internet forum. I worked Law Enforcement for 5 years in the Coast Guard. Passing around info that can and would be used as evidence in court is the fastest way to blow a case for the prosecution. For people on this forum who think they are so smart and know something about everything, they should know better than to even ask for something like that.

To those that doubt what happened, well opinions are like arse holes, everyone has one, and your entitled to yours. It happend to me, I posted about it, and that's it. I've posted before about that club, the people that hang out there, and similar issues I've had when going into my local 7-11 because of that club. That post made it's way into this thread, I guess in an attempt to debunk my story, but it actually proved my point of this being an ongoing problem there.

I didn't post looking for atta boys, or sympathy, I just wanted to let everyone know what happened. I'm a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment, I exercise my rights under the 2nd, and this time I honestly believe that it saved me from serious harm.

Did I do everything right?? Nope I sure didn't. I made mistakes. The situation caught me off guard and I could have handled it better than I did. Many of the posts made by folks in here pointed those mistakes out for me, and for that I thank those people. I learned something, I didn't get hurt, I didn't shoot anyone, everything is good. If I ever find myself in a situation like that again, hopefully those little leasons I learned from this one will help me to handle the next one better. Hopefully it never happens again.

Those of you that want to call BS, well go right ahead. I'm to old to worry about it and the last thing I "need" to do is prove anything to anyone on this forum. For those that gave me constructive opinions, thanks.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2008, 12:55:25 AM »
First off there is no police report.
Of course there's no report, cowboy.  Hard to make a police report for somethign that didn't happen.

Also even if there was a police report and I had a copy I'm not stupid enough to e-mail a copy to anyone, let alone post it on an internet forum. I worked Law Enforcement for 5 years in the Coast Guard. Passing around info that can and would be used as evidence in court is the fastest way to blow a case for the prosecution. For people on this forum who think they are so smart and know something about everything, they should know better than to even ask for something like that.

Psst   redact.  That is, if the events fantasized about had actually happened.     :aok

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2008, 07:22:46 AM »
It always gets better when someone gets overly specific in an attempt to explain way too much after getting overly detailed with a description.

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2008, 07:59:03 AM »
Well lets asks the police officers on this forum a question. You get a call about someone with a gun. You find the person, find the gun, and find that the person has a valid carry permit. Do you write a police report about it??
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"