Author Topic: WIRBELWIND........The new 262  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: WIRBELWIND........The new 262
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 08:06:53 AM »
Sorry Lushe, referred to previous post by soupcan "1.5K is NOT "WAY the hell out there".". (that's typical Krusty's math  :D)
As far as math goes, he could be sector away. Distance and alt aren't related in this case.

I wouldn't have misunderstood you if you had highilghter "way hell out" instead of "1.5k" and "3k".

Always try to keep it simple and clear - there are lot's of slow thinkers like me out there :D

And back on topic:
No need for perk, but way lower ENY. And maybe correct the turret traverse speed to real - life value (I won't start about correct ROF for now ;))
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 08:21:45 AM »
by late in the war 2cm shells weren't powerful enough to bring down Allied aircraft

So exactly what was different between late war allied aircraft and early war? At least the difference that made wirbels ineffective?

I pray or a 1.5k shot at a 262. I pinged one once at 2k.

Titanic Tues. on a small crummy map like the uterus is just a bad time to take out heavily perked airplanes like the 262. Its an even worse time to fly one as if GVs arent there. We had a major GV battle before I signed off and the shots presented my wirbel were so easy to make I could have made them with a sling shot. By the same token I made about 30 perks just shooting the 20mm on PT boats once our CV went down.

A buddy flew Jugs in the war up till the end and these German flak GVs scared the bejeezus out of him and thats why he, and I, loved the Jug so much. Cause it would bring him home even after being shot to pieces.

Ive had auto puffy ack cripple a Jug diving into it at 500 mph. Why should the rest of us lose a GV we love cause you lost 200 perks due to poor flying of a 262. Why in heck did you even have it in range of a GV ack?
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 08:33:33 AM »
Yeah why would you highlight "3k, 1.5k, & shoreline" if you were referring to "1.5K is NOT "WAY the hell out there"? :huh
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 08:51:48 AM »
Yeah why would you highlight "3k, 1.5k, & shoreline" if you were referring to "1.5K is NOT "WAY the hell out there"? :huh

For six reasons.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 09:03:39 AM »
The WW was well beyond normal effective range for any normal plane moving 300mph, let alone a me262 in a power-on dive doing over 500mph. I was passing beneath 3k alt (3000 feet) and the range only just popped into view on the WW (1.5k) at 90 degrees off my 9 oclock. It happened to be parked on a shoreline, away from the airfield it came from, as it was attempting to shoot up incoming planes or something.

Regardless, why the hell are you jumping down MY throat?

That situation is well beyond any tracking, and the WW didn't even fire bracketing shots. I got hit on the first salvo, and he kept spraying after that. until I flew out of range (I was already out of it to begin with, but there you have it)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 09:21:25 AM »
This is going to back and fourth...all the time. Guys that don't want it perked are going to defend it with the "Too easy to kill the turret" and "use teamwork" excuses, while guys want it perked will use the "kills planes in 3 pings", "too powerful to be non-perked", and "I get hit once from 2K out"
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 09:28:40 AM »
If I see a WW near my airspace I will immediatly kill it.

They can be a threat, but not much of one if you keep your eyes open. :O

Perk em?

Naaaaaah no need.

I,ve killed 13 WWs to 3 deaths,air to ground, I don,t see why this thing is getting the "meatgrinder" label.

Its just another GV. Kill it.

I do. I don,t care if I'm in attack mode or fighter mode, If I see one I'll try to eliminate the threat.

Not that tuff.
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 09:37:14 AM »
Sounds like someone's whine meter is going off because he can't strafe down a gv properly. Heck using his logic they should perk the 45 the pilot in a parachute has! I killed a spit with it one day. :O Not sure how i got credit for it but i hit him 1 time next thing i know i get a message saying i shot down so and so. :rofl That will teach you to shoot at chutes. :D

I got 6 kills in a man in one mission one night.  Definately needs to be perked.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 10:09:06 AM »
my p38 took three seperate bursts from multiple WW's.  First one popped an aierlon, second burst a rudder, elevator and oil, third time one radiator and the other engine oil along with a couple guns.  Still landed it.   :salute

They were hitting me from 1.5-2k out with me doing 200-300mph and manuevering.

Only time they've really annoyed me so far is rolling up to camp a runway takeoff.  Thats annoying.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 10:44:41 AM »
If I see a WW near my airspace I will immediatly kill it.

They can be a threat, but not much of one if you keep your eyes open. :O

Perk em?

Naaaaaah no need.

I,ve killed 13 WWs to 3 deaths,air to ground, I don,t see why this thing is getting the "meatgrinder" label.

Its just another GV. Kill it.

I do. I don,t care if I'm in attack mode or fighter mode, If I see one I'll try to eliminate the threat.

Not that tuff.

Insert picture here of hammer hitting nail on the head. :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 11:24:45 AM »
The Wirbel would be inefective against most Allied Aircraft most of the time because most of them had better sense than to fly over 20 WWs below 6,000. And if they were below 6,000, they were dropping big chunks of high explosives on things like GVs. The WW rounds literally will not hit anything at 6,000 feet. (2K).

I've just been looking at my kill stats, and I've been killed by practically every plane and vehicle this tour EXCEPT the WW. Including one by Osti. That's because if they want to hug their flaks (undoubtedly because of the huge numbers and energy advantages the attackers have), I LET them.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2008, 11:35:27 AM »
I would sure like it if the quad 20mm on my fighters could reach out about 4000 yards like the wirble quad 20s do.  Oh well........its a game. 
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Hitman20

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2008, 11:44:37 AM »
They do, you have to remeber, your in a plane, which is moveing the same way as the shells...WW's are sitting on the ground which makes them appear to reach out a lot more. It's also very, very hard to hit someone at 4,000 yards in a plane unless they are very, very still.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2008, 12:16:39 PM »
All the numbers in his scenario do not make the hit(s) that he received impossible ... highly improbable ? maybe, but it happened.

What difference does it make how fast you are going ? It might reduce the chances of getting hit, but in no way totally eliminates your chances of getting hit.

If the WW throws out a 'lead' wall of 20mms with the correct offset ... you will get hit ... even if you were mach 3 ... it doesn't matter ... the speed at which you are traveling does not bend the laws of physics of the path the 20mm are on for an intercept.

This was more of a case of the plane flying into the bullet and not the bullet being delivered/aimed at the plane.

The WW can throw out alot of 20mm shells and it anyone gets hit, especially at a high speed, the person who shot, used some good 'ole Kentucky Windage ... and there are some people in this game that can do it with ease ... some of us are just lucky.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 12:35:07 PM »
The WW was well beyond normal effective range for any normal plane moving 300mph, let alone a me262 in a power-on dive doing over 500mph. I was passing beneath 3k alt (3000 feet) and the range only just popped into view on the WW (1.5k) at 90 degrees off my 9 oclock. It happened to be parked on a shoreline, away from the airfield it came from, as it was attempting to shoot up incoming planes or something.

Why were you in a 262 anyway? Recently you said it was porked - the ballistics on the cannons are all wrong?  Using the cast iron proof that you are unable to hit anything in it after setting up perfect shots and missing?
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --