Author Topic: Early War aircraft additions?  (Read 2296 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Re: Early War aircraft additions?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 03:22:04 PM »
If that's the same Curtiss Hawk the French used in Morocco, then yes.

The french flew the later hawk75 with great effect...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 04:34:51 PM »
So did the Finnish Air Force, a reported 190 1/3 kills with only 15 losses flown by Lentolaivue 32. 

As snaphook pointed out, it also enjoyed success with the French.  230 confirmed kills, 80 probable victories with only 29 losses suffered in aerial combat during the Battle of France.  Vichy French Hawks also clashed with US Navy Wildcats during Operation Torch, losing 15 H75s and shooting down 7 F4F Wildcats.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 06:01:50 PM »
yup,

I've always felt that the hawk would be a better addition then the buffalo if we could only get one....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 06:52:57 PM »
We do have an early war arena and we also have a very large gap in our early war plane set.  In fact, with the exception of a few planes, the early war years isn't really represented in our plane set.  People complain about how the early war arena is never populated and the biggest reason why is the plane set.  If we were to flesh out the early war planeset with 1939-1940 warbirds it would go a long way of filling in the holes of the planeset.  In addition, it would be a boon to the scenario crowd and even the AvA arena.

No, what we don't need is another fast late war plane when our planeset has so many gaps that need to be filled in covering the early and mid war time line.

ack-ack

Agree 110%   :aok  BRAVO!  BRAVO!

I would vote for the HAWK 75 before I would any of the "Bi-Plane" birds I have to say.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 07:01:23 PM by Jester »
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Relorian

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.wtf.com
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 09:36:45 PM »
I think from the first day I joined the AH2 community (though membership has lapsed) I've been asking for more early war planes. I think they are needed but most of the replies I got in previous threads were "Shut it noob, WE want more LW planes, Not planes that cant keep up".

Nice to see a semi change in attitude.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2008, 12:53:33 AM »
I think from the first day I joined the AH2 community (though membership has lapsed) I've been asking for more early war planes. I think they are needed but most of the replies I got in previous threads were "Shut it noob, WE want more LW planes, Not planes that cant keep up".

It's something I've always advocated in the 8 years I've been playing AH, quite a few others as well.  Hell, even one guy is tipping at windmills asking for a Spanish Civil War planeset [hehe Arlo].

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 12:59:49 AM »
The french flew the later hawk75 with great effect...
(Image removed from quote.)

Isn't that an American made P-36?
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2008, 01:33:28 AM »

The more people we see adding their 2 cents in a thread like this, the more attention it will bring to HTC. More attention and "wishes" may bring us a bad arse christmas present - An early war aircraft planeset upgrade  :pray

Spread the WORD!!! Please

:salute

Mathis
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2008, 01:37:08 AM »
Isn't that an American made P-36?

The CURTISS HAWK 75 is the "Export Name" for the aircraft. It really isn't a P-36 "per say" (that is the USAAC version) as the French had them constructed to different specs with some minor changes in equipment. The British did the same for the ones they perchased - they called theirs MOHAWKS. The Chinese AF purchased a version that had fixed landing gear to ease maintenance.

Essentially the same design though.

:salute
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 12:09:53 AM »
Any of you aircraft designers see a possibility in any of these for early war aircraft additions? Htc?
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline Relorian

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 01:55:59 AM »
here are some EW planes ive dug up in one of my books.

Henschel hs123 (close support aircraft) introduced to service 1936
Gloster Gladiator - 1937
Fairey Firefly - 1941
Dewoitine D.520  -1939 (Served with French airforce, then german airforce and Italy and late war allied french units.) Would be nice to see a french plane that did see ALOT of service.
Fiat CR.32 and CR.42 1935 and 1938.  Italian Bi-plane fighters.
A5M Claude (Its been suggested before but meh cant hurt to list it)
Morane-Saulnier MS.406 1939  (another french fighter)
Polikarpov I-15/I-152/I-153 1933 and subsequent variations.
Polikarpov I-16 1938

A few or all of these and previously mentioned Early War fighters are desperately needed. I know most people dont fly EW because the plane set is limited to like 10 flyable planes, IF all the ones in here were to be added, we'd have at least 25 - 30 planes... and It would even be fun to use em in the LW arenas for the hell of it.

(Some dates may be slightly wrong, its late and reading my book for info while squinting could result in mistakes, feel free to correct them if I am wrong)

Offline Relorian

• Zinc Member
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 07:43:25 PM »
bump for great justice

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2008, 03:53:33 AM »
Relorian,

Add the Ki-27 and Ki-43 to your list of early war aircraft.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline LCCajun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2008, 04:44:13 AM »
Hey guys even though I have never flown in early war I would love to see some of these early planes. I think if we were to get some I would go to early war at least once to try it out hell I might go even if we dont' get any. I am looking for new things to do I am kinda getting tired of the LW thing. With that being said I will not leave Aces & 8s so I will continue to fly LW the most. But I might see ya'll around  :salute good luck with the planes.
Ingame ID: Cajon

"SlapShot
There is no shame in putting up a good fight and dieing."
"You never know how strong you are til being strong is the only choice you have" Unknown author

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2008, 12:21:31 PM »
yup,

I've always felt that the hawk would be a better addition then the buffalo if we could only get one....

Brewster was superior to Hawk ;)
But I'd be happy to get either of them sooner and the other one later :)  .... and some Polikarpovs for dessert.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34