Author Topic: pony vs 190  (Read 3206 times)

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: pony vs 190
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2008, 07:39:54 PM »
double post deleted

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2008, 12:02:59 PM »
Well, if he has more E, the best place to have him is right on your 6. A d9 won't slow down as well as a 51. Put yourself in the shallowest of climbs. Wait til right before he gets to 600(he'll start to think about firing then). Then break left(the 51 turns better to the left).  Have your combat trim off. Don't break flat, break down some to challenge his gun solution attempt.. throttle chopped and one notch. Watch him on your 6. If he tries for a solution, pull through the turn until you see he is swinging a wider turn, keep throttle chopped and break back into him.  He's again going to think he has a gun solution and he will keep turning into you. Again, nose down to get under his solution.  A very good d9 pilot may have a snap shot here.(don't worry, there's very few).
 The instant he passes right over you break back hard left while punching WEP. He will probably break back right and be right in front of you. (BOOM)

If he goes up, judge if you have the E to get your guns on him(you probably will) and go get him.  If he goes basically straight up, pull in the flaps.  

If he goes up and over, keep the flaps out and lead turn him.  You'll be inverted  by the time you get a solution and he will be defensive.  His instinct will be to nose down.  Now you've either got a kill or a runner.

An example of breaking back into the plane is in the film in the link below. You'll see in this case I'm in a dive but not really trying to get away.  In fact, I slow down to let the bad guy catch me quicker.
 At the 1:30 mark of the film slow it down to about 33% and see what happens.  Notice I'm at two notches of flaps.

Then watch the film again from BBaw's view. again at 33% speed from about 1:25 in.  Notice on the breakback I foil his gun solution by going under  his nose. You can really see this from BBaw's view, external view.
 These moves may seem aggressive from the defensive position... they are. A lot of people don't expect a 51 to fight.  Use this, go after them.

BBaw is a very experienced pilot and you saw how this worked.  It takes some practice... but you can see the results.

http://www.mediafire.com/?r1tupeym2n4

hey steve,
that's very well written dude. i can almost see it in my mind as i'm reading what you've written here, even though i don't fly either of these planes(i like my easy buttons).

one thing raised a question though, that always confuses me. you said for him to wait till D600 to break. so.....with the net lag and all, by the time i see him at 600, isn't he actually closer and already firing?
thanks!
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2008, 01:51:03 PM »
hey steve,
that's very well written dude. i can almost see it in my mind as i'm reading what you've written here, even though i don't fly either of these planes(i like my easy buttons).

one thing raised a question though, that always confuses me. you said for him to wait till D600 to break. so.....with the net lag and all, by the time i see him at 600, isn't he actually closer and already firing?
thanks!

Thanks Cap.  What I said exactly was:"Wait til right before he gets to 600".  In other words after he breaks 800, but before he breaks 600. If he's firing early, even the mildest of jinks will cause him to miss as you  reel him in.  In the scenario discussed, there are many variables of course. For instance, if the d9 chops and tries to stay behind, you'd stay chopped and drop more flaps. Maybe even get the rudder out in the slipstream. The balancing act here is that the D9  is going end up in front and will go evasive. You want to get him in front of you but still have enough E to put him away.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 01:54:48 PM by Steve »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2008, 02:04:19 PM »
If he fires at 600 our anyways, he's wasting his ammo, IMO.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2008, 02:04:34 PM »
Thanks Cap.  What I said exactly was:"Wait til right before he gets to 600".  In other words after he breaks 800, but before he breaks 600. If he's firing early, even the mildest of jinks will cause him to miss as you  reel him in.  In the scenario discussed, there are many variables of course. For instance, if the d9 chops and tries to stay behind, you'd stay chopped and drop more flaps. Maybe even get the rudder out in the slipstream. The balancing act here is that the D9  is going end up in front and will go evasive. You want to get him in front of you but still have enough E to put him away.

ya knowwwwwww......you're gonna force me outta my easy button planes to try this stuff, dontcha? :aok
that is of course assuming that i can actually get my bellybutton back into the arenas!

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2008, 12:01:53 AM »
Well, if he has more E, the best place to have him is right on your 6. A d9 won't slow down as well as a 51. Put yourself in the shallowest of climbs. Wait til right before he gets to 600(he'll start to think about firing then). Then break left(the 51 turns better to the left).  Have your combat trim off. Don't break flat, break down some to challenge his gun solution attempt.. throttle chopped and one notch. Watch him on your 6. If he tries for a solution, pull through the turn until you see he is swinging a wider turn, keep throttle chopped and break back into him.  He's again going to think he has a gun solution and he will keep turning into you. Again, nose down to get under his solution.  A very good d9 pilot may have a snap shot here.(don't worry, there's very few).

That might work if you're fortunate enough to find someone silly enough to follow a better turner into that sort of fight. Any Dora stick worth their salt would simply keep the WEP on and and go up and to the right. If you're breaking down and left, you would have to reverse your turning direction and resume climbing. With your inferior climb and roll rate this manuever will cost you a lot more than the Dora. Unless you're a dead-shot at 800 yards in a stalling climb, you will have blown your chances at gaining a Co-E situation and, provided the fight stays a 1v1, you will have nothing else to offer except evasive manuevers as the Dora uses its superior climb and recently gained E advantage to swoop on you and pick parts off you as you try to evade.

A patient Dora stick would take your initial manuever as a nice gift and use it to force you into the ground.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2008, 01:56:42 AM »
That might work if you're fortunate enough to find someone silly enough to follow a better turner into that sort of fight. Any Dora stick worth their salt would simply keep the WEP on and and go up and to the right. If you're breaking down and left, you would have to reverse your turning direction and resume climbing. With your inferior climb and roll rate this manuever will cost you a lot more than the Dora. Unless you're a dead-shot at 800 yards in a stalling climb, you will have blown your chances at gaining a Co-E situation and, provided the fight stays a 1v1, you will have nothing else to offer except evasive manuevers as the Dora uses its superior climb and recently gained E advantage to swoop on you and pick parts off you as you try to evade.

A patient Dora stick would take your initial manuever as a nice gift and use it to force you into the ground.

Yeop then turns it back to an E fight as the 51 lost its advantage.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2008, 02:35:54 AM »
Just did a test that explains it gentlemen.

With no drop tank rack, the Dora does run 375 on the deck on WEP.

However, with the rack in tow, the top deck speed is reduced to 369. And owing to the shorter legs on the D-9 on internal with MA fuel burns, I and I imagine most others usually carry the drop.

The P-51 is modeled with the drop tank pylons whether you carry them or not, and always runs 368 on the deck on WEP.

Therefore, a diving pony can should be able to make up quite abit of distance on a diving Dora with its greater E retention, under these conditions, once both level out, and this is why it seems like forever chasing a Pony sometimes in a Dora. You have to run them out of WEP before you have a speed advantage.

I have also noticed that a P-51 seems to pick up speed quicker with the nose down. I never run into compressibility problems even in exended dives with a closed throttle in the D9. I have in the P-51, (and the P-47, for that matter) and developed the habit of dropping a notch of flaps as speed-brakes when nessecary.

<S>

I have tested every fighter for E-retention. I do this by diving to 500 mph and leveling off at 500 feet ASL. I engage WEP just before air speed bleeds down to 450 mph. I then time how long it takes to bleed down from 450 mph to 400 mph. The P-51D bleeds down 5.5 seconds faster than the 190D-9. This means that the 190 is gradually opening the distance. One can argue that the Dora should bleed speed faster than the Mustang as the P-51 has a substantially lower drag coefficient. However, in the game, the P-51 bleeds E faster than the Dora.

Go offline and test it yourself.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2008, 11:51:10 AM »
I should point out that if the Dora has a centerline rack, it surrenders its E-bleed advantage and the P-51D is slightly better (36.75 seconds from 450 mph to 400 mph for the P-51D, 35.44 seconds for the 190D-9).

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2008, 01:00:59 PM »

Funny. I flat out school doras all day. If the D9 went up and I didn't have the E to go get him, I could punch and leave, let him try to run me down again, rinse and repeat.  Also, I'd be watching out my 6 as I stated. As soon as the dora starts to go up, I'd be hitting the WEP. There would be little reversal required nad I'd be close abaord his 6 at maybe 400 not 800.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 01:16:19 PM by Steve »

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2008, 01:01:31 PM »
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 01:12:56 PM by Steve »

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2008, 01:03:44 PM »
Yeop then turns it back to an E fight as the 51 lost its advantage.

51 never had the advantage, d9 was gaining on its' 6. D9 has the advantage. 

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2008, 01:12:12 PM »
I have tested every fighter for E-retention. I do this by diving to 500 mph and leveling off at 500 feet ASL. I engage WEP just before air speed bleeds down to 450 mph. I then time how long it takes to bleed down from 450 mph to 400 mph. The P-51D bleeds down 5.5 seconds faster than the 190D-9. This means that the 190 is gradually opening the distance. One can argue that the Dora should bleed speed faster than the Mustang as the P-51 has a substantially lower drag coefficient. However, in the game, the P-51 bleeds E faster than the Dora.

Go offline and test it yourself.

My regards,

Widewing

What took you so long?!

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2008, 06:16:44 PM »
I was just about to ask about the rack...explains my experiences of P-51D vrs. 190. You about NEED that DT if you want to go very far in the 190 in the MA.

But I mean, shouldn't E bleed either zooming vertically OR flying horizontally be related to the same thing? Mass of the airplane vrs. total drag of the airplane?

I should point out that if the Dora has a centerline rack, it surrenders its E-bleed advantage and the P-51D is slightly better (36.75 seconds from 450 mph to 400 mph for the P-51D, 35.44 seconds for the 190D-9).

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 06:18:33 PM by BnZ »

Offline JoeBWan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2008, 07:28:40 AM »
Well, if he has more E, the best place to have him is right on your 6. A d9 won't slow down as well as a 51. Put yourself in the shallowest of climbs. Wait til right before he gets to 600(he'll start to think about firing then). Then break left(the 51 turns better to the left).  Have your combat trim off. Don't break flat, break down some to challenge his gun solution attempt.. throttle chopped and one notch. Watch him on your 6. If he tries for a solution, pull through the turn until you see he is swinging a wider turn, keep throttle chopped and break back into him.  He's again going to think he has a gun solution and he will keep turning into you. Again, nose down to get under his solution.  A very good d9 pilot may have a snap shot here.(don't worry, there's very few).
 The instant he passes right over you break back hard left while punching WEP. He will probably break back right and be right in front of you. (BOOM)

If he goes up, judge if you have the E to get your guns on him(you probably will) and go get him.  If he goes basically straight up, pull in the flaps. 

If he goes up and over, keep the flaps out and lead turn him.  You'll be inverted  by the time you get a solution and he will be defensive.  His instinct will be to nose down.  Now you've either got a kill or a runner.

An example of breaking back into the plane is in the film in the link below. You'll see in this case I'm in a dive but not really trying to get away.  In fact, I slow down to let the bad guy catch me quicker.
 At the 1:30 mark of the film slow it down to about 33% and see what happens.  Notice I'm at two notches of flaps.

Then watch the film again from BBaw's view. again at 33% speed from about 1:25 in.  Notice on the breakback I foil his gun solution by going under  his nose. You can really see this from BBaw's view, external view.
 These moves may seem aggressive from the defensive position... they are. A lot of people don't expect a 51 to fight.  Use this, go after them.

BBaw is a very experienced pilot and you saw how this worked.  It takes some practice... but you can see the results.

http://www.mediafire.com/?r1tupeym2n4

Hi Steve, first let me say nice flying last night.  I knew I should have been more wary about that P51 after it took out two of my country mates in a single pass, but I still thought I had enough E to follow you up and get a shot.  That proved fatal!

I've watched this video a few times now, but I'm not sure I understand the reasoning for breaking back into the opponent when they can't match the turn?  Is it simply to get them to commit and overshoot?