Author Topic: The collision model SUCKS I hate it.  (Read 8522 times)

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Re: The collision model SUCKS I hate it.
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2008, 04:28:06 PM »
it's REALLY not that hard to avoid hitting your intended victem. on occasion you'll get hit, but it's still just a game.

Then it wouldn't be hard to avoid ace pilots either. Or HOers for that matter.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2008, 04:32:08 PM »
we live in a physical universe and there are certain fundamental laws of physics that prevent the type of interaction you wish for. 

There is no fundamental law pf physics that is preventing the type of interaction I wish for.... not a single one.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2008, 04:36:24 PM »
And in that reality long long ago the standard tactic was hold triger down and fly threw the other plane.

The next effect was head ons increased drasticly.

The next step was to lower lethality and probabilty of hits when shooting in head ons.

And people did complain. And some disliked stuff so much they went on to create there own flight sims. And as that new company was disccusing collisions the CFO of that company had tried differnet froms of proccsing collisions. 1 side collides both do. 1 side only colides neither do. (He had already played a game with no collisions) And found those 2  new options again completly lacking. And then one day a player named caligula came up with the idea of one way collisions. The CEO that company almost imediatly agreed that cal's way was the only way collisions could be done.

And hence online collisions were born over 10 years ago. So exatly how is your "Opionion" created, have you actualy tried a creating a flight sim with all different option. Have you realy evaluated /tested/ seen the outcome of the different options?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2008, 04:43:35 PM »
Then it wouldn't be hard to avoid ace pilots either. Or HOers for that matter.

exactly!! :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2008, 04:48:27 PM »
So exatly how is your "Opionion" created, have you actualy tried a creating a flight sim with all different option. Have you realy evaluated /tested/ seen the outcome of the different options?

A burglar enters your house and shoots  you in the stomach.  You crawl to the phone and dial 911. The ambulance crew is having a cup of coffee.  Should they finish their coffee or should they come right away?  I bet you have an opinion.

So exactly how is your "opinion" created?  Have you actually tried starting an ambulance company that allows both options? Have you really evaluated/tested/ seen the outcome of the different options?

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2008, 05:02:21 PM »
A burglar enters your house and shoots  you in the stomach.  You crawl to the phone and dial 911. The ambulance crew is having a cup of coffee.  Should they finish their coffee or should they come right away?  I bet you have an opinion.

So exactly how is your "opinion" created?  Have you actually tried starting an ambulance company that allows both options? Have you really evaluated/tested/ seen the outcome of the different options?
:O :huh :huh :huh
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2008, 05:24:45 PM »
You fail to understand collisions in AH and continue to insist on seeing them as you see real life traffic collisions, with an "at fault" person.  The sooner you disabuse yourself of this the sooner you'll understand why a great many of us not only don't revile the collision model, but agree whole heartedly with HiTech that it is the best possible solution given how the internet works.

Thanks for telling me what "I see" and what I think. No really...thanks.

I dont see them as "real life traffic collisions" and I dont see an "at fault person". When have I said that?

Or maybe I really do "see it that way" in my subconcious and needed a complete stranger on an internet chat room, named Karnak, to see thru my delusions and put me on the path to truth. Its possible.

Traffic collision or not they can just write the code to disable the model when a front end of a fighter makes contact with the rear end of a bomber. The code is written to let airplanes fly thru each other on runways right? So whats the problem?

Regardless of lag and the virtual world the fighter is still flying towards the bomber at high speed, and the bomber is flying away from it. Thats the reality on everyones computer regardless of the lag.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2008, 07:11:11 PM »

Umm . . . Steve . . . Lusche just quoted Hitech.  I am fairly certain HiTech did, in fact, create a game where he has tried and tested a lot of alternate collision models and decided on the best one.

Don't hit the other plane, you don't collide.  Very simple answer, and the best one.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2008, 07:27:21 PM »
Umm . . . Steve . . . Lusche just quoted Hitech.  I am fairly certain HiTech did, in fact, create a game where he has tried and tested a lot of alternate collision models and decided on the best one.

Don't hit the other plane, you don't collide.  Very simple answer, and the best one.

Your answer has nothing to do with the original post; it's condescending and silly.

You also didn't get the point of my post about the ambulance company so I'll explain it to you. One can have an opinion about an ambulance company without ever having started one.  One can have an opinion about game mechanics without ever having designed one.  Is this clear enough for you?      :rolleyes:

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2008, 07:30:43 PM »
I propose a 2k radius hit bubble around us, and whenever anyone enters this, they collide.  This would hit two birds with one stone.  It would stop collisions, and those nancy boy furballers, thus giving us war winners more resources. 

This is a great idea.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2008, 07:34:13 PM »
<insert beating dead horse image here>

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2008, 07:44:08 PM »
Your answer has nothing to do with the original post; it's condescending and silly.

You also didn't get the point of my post about the ambulance company so I'll explain it to you. One can have an opinion about an ambulance company without ever having started one.  One can have an opinion about game mechanics without ever having designed one.  Is this clear enough for you?      :rolleyes:
OK, so I was mistaken that you thought Lusche was the one arguing with your opinion.

Instead you have decided to attack HiTech's experience / knowledge about what works and what doesn't head-on.

Good luck with that.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Wedge1126

• Copper Member
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2008, 08:04:48 PM »
All you have to do is make sure their FE see a collision too. It's quite simple.

Their front end shows my vertical stab connecting with their left elevator. Their front end shows my rudder connecting with their horizontal stabilizer.
We both show collisions.

What damage do we take?
Or do we only count collisions when both front ends see the same collision? <-- this will rarely happen.
Wedge

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2008, 08:08:25 PM »
If one FE determines a collision, query the other to see how close it was. Average it out... if it doesn't average to a collision on both FE's, no collision. Calculation wouldn't take any longer than computiong bullet travel. Both planes must either take or not take damage. No other way makes sense.

Look at the pictures Steve.  If your FE see's us as colliding, and mine sees us as 60 yards apart, how is it fair that we both die?  Or  what about 30?  And what about guys from Japan and NZ, who at times have as much as a second or more of latency so that they would be as many as several hundred yards apart on one of their FE's when the other registers the collision?

It wouldn't work.  There is too much variance in latency.  As a result of your "bubble", you'd die randomly from a collision that you didn't even have at times, and yet get away scott free with flying into a plane deliberately at others.

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2008, 09:11:15 PM »
OK, so I was mistaken that you thought Lusche was the one arguing with your opinion.

Instead you have decided to attack HiTech's experience / knowledge about what works and what doesn't head-on.

Good luck with that.

I'll make one more effort with you before writing you off as unable to communicate effectively.  My point was to show that one does not have to design a game to have opinions about how things work in it. That's it.  If you don't get this, there is no point in attempting to communicate with you any further.