Author Topic: The collision model SUCKS I hate it.  (Read 8533 times)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Re: The collision model SUCKS I hate it.
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2008, 09:12:51 PM »
Look at the pictures Steve.  If your FE see's us as colliding, and mine sees us as 60 yards apart, how is it fair that we both die? 
<S>

Well that's where a reasonable distance would have to be established.  Like your point, how is it fair if a guy with a good conn shows a collision on his FE due to a guy with a bad conn, then the guy with the bad conn wanders off on his merry way?
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2008, 09:40:41 PM »
I'll make one more effort with you before writing you off as unable to communicate effectively.  My point was to show that one does not have to design a game to have opinions about how things work in it. That's it.  If you don't get this, there is no point in attempting to communicate with you any further.
And my point is that it might be my opinion that a hydrogen bomb would never work, but I would be just as wrong as you are.

The current collision model works just fine.

But since you believe yourself to be such an effective communicator, please explain the logic behind your assertion that someone who keeps his airplane from touching the enemy's airplane should be forced to take damage anyway.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2008, 10:39:09 PM »
But since you believe yourself to be such an effective communicator, please explain the logic behind your assertion that someone who keeps his airplane from touching the enemy's airplane should be forced to take damage anyway.

That's already happening

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2008, 10:45:31 PM »
It isn't.

If there is no collision on your screen, you don't get any damage from it. And the only message you will see is "XXX has collided with you".
If I manage to dodge the enemy, I do not take damage from any collision on his screen. I might be shot by him though ;)

again a HT quote:
The proccessing of a collision is realy simple. It is as simple as the following.

if( UserHasCollided())
{
    print("You have collided");
   SendMessageToOtherUser("Docc has collided with you");
    ApplyDamageToPlane();
}

It apears one place only in the code. And it is aboslutly inposible to take damage from a collision with out having the message "You have collided"

Lag and  graphics have absolutly no bering on this simple fact. You can not collide with out that message.

So there for if you took damage and did not have that message, there are only 2 other posiblities I can think of.

1. You were shot.
2. You overstresed the plane.

HiTech
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2008, 10:48:25 PM »
It isn't.

If there is no collision on your screen, you don't get any damage from it. And the only message you will see is "XXX has collided with you".
If I manage to dodge the enemy, I do not take damage from any collision on his screen. I might be shot by him though ;)

again a HT quote:

it is

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2008, 04:52:35 AM »
That's already happening
No, it isn't.

If I keep my plane from touching the other plane, I will not collide, and I will not take damage from it, regardless of whether he collided on his computer or not.

If, however, I let my plane touch the other plane, I will collide, regardless of whether he does also or not.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2008, 05:13:59 AM »
it is

No, it's inpossible.
 :D
Quote from: hitech on May 04, 2006, 11:50:38 AM
The proccessing of a collision is realy simple. It is as simple as the following.

if( UserHasCollided())
{
    print("You have collided");
   SendMessageToOtherUser("Docc has collided with you");
    ApplyDamageToPlane();
}

It apears one place only in the code. And it is aboslutly inposible to take damage from a collision with out having the message "You have collided"

Lag and  graphics have absolutly no bering on this simple fact. You can not collide with out that message.

So there for if you took damage and did not have that message, there are only 2 other posiblities I can think of.

1. You were shot.
2. You overstresed the plane.

HiTech

If you don't allow your pixels to contact someone else's pixels, you will not get any peanutbutter in your chocolate.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2008, 07:12:52 AM »
Ahh the collision whine. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Remember folks you will never ever see film where the whiner gets "XXX has collided with you" and takes damage. 
All you'll get from the whiner is something like this.

it is

Nothing to back it up just  :cry :cry :cry.
See Rule #4

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2008, 07:19:35 AM »
This thread needs more levity. Soo I lifted this from a previous collision whine thread.
Thanks Fbplmmr :aok
i absolutely love these collision threads!!

player A :- this game needs an apple.

bronk : <holds up an apple> look an apple!

player A: that is not an apple!

bronk : why yes it is an apple <shows a picture of the apple in encyclopedia >

player A: I see no apple there!

player B :  well actually it is indeed an apple

player A : i see no apple

bronk : take a picture and you will see an apple

player A: there will be no apple there ..and further more I refuse to take any pictures

the creator of the world: it is an apple ..and here is why....

player A : there is no apple but other people use the apple unfairly against me ..if it did exist
Still makes me chuckle. :lol
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 07:22:23 AM by Bronk »
See Rule #4

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2008, 07:24:27 AM »
Your answer has nothing to do with the original post; it's condescending and silly.

You also didn't get the point of my post about the ambulance company so I'll explain it to you. One can have an opinion about an ambulance company without ever having started one.  One can have an opinion about game mechanics without ever having designed one.  Is this clear enough for you?      :rolleyes:

your point about the ambulance company is moot.

this is agame. hitech has to find somehting that is some semblance of fair for everyone all around the world. it is hitech's world in the arenas, and we choose to participate, by paying for the service.

the ambulance crew on the other hand isreal life. they cater only to sick/injured parties. you don't get to choose when or why you'll be in their world.

as has been said before in this silly thread......see and avoid. simple huh?

as bad as my gunnery sucks, i still stay far enough away that i don't generally ram my victems.

just exactly why are you so concerned about it anyway? it's a free airplane with free gas, and free flying/fighting.

you go down from ramming someone, just re-up.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2008, 07:27:41 AM »
I'll make one more effort with you before writing you off as unable to communicate effectively.  My point was to show that one does not have to design a game to have opinions about how things work in it. That's it.  If you don't get this, there is no point in attempting to communicate with you any further.

no one was telling you that ou couldn't have an opinion. they/we were only trying to explain why what you were suggesting would not work.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2008, 09:17:42 AM »
When you are maneuvering alot in close proximity to others maneuvering alot...... it's going to happen. I imagine that collissiion damages average out over a set period. If your plane loses parts... heck you get a new one, FREE!
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2008, 12:08:29 PM »
no one was telling you that ou couldn't have an opinion. they/we were only trying to explain why what you were suggesting would not work.

You have no idea what I'm suggesting. I really haven't discussed it yet. Everyone is in such a hurry to insult me for disliking the current model and that's fine. I understand the need for people like Bronk to plant his head between Dale's buttocks as deeply as he can... I don't agree with it, but I understand his need.

In some ways it's a dead horse in that it probably will not change. That doesn't mean we all have to like it.

Offline Connery

• Nickel Member
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2008, 12:11:19 PM »
After so many years in game you should know that this isn't fixable and indeed works as intended.  ;)

You are aware that this would of course also work the other way? An enemy plane passing you at a distance of 100 yards, and you suddenly go down because of a collision that never happened on your screen? - That's exactly what you would get with "both take damage"

My old pictures. Both showing the exact the same moment, taken from each players screen:

P-51 Player's View.
(Image removed from quote.)

P-47 Player's View.
(Image removed from quote.)

Collision happened only on P-51 player's screen. Only Pony took damage. Fair deal.

No one came ever up with a better solution for the fact that internet data travel & processing is not instant.

Lusche excuse me here maybe i'm being ultra stupid. but........the timings on the films are different, so how is it exactly the same time.?

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2008, 12:15:27 PM »
You have no idea what I'm suggesting. I really haven't discussed it yet. Everyone is in such a hurry to insult me for disliking the current model and that's fine. I understand the need for people like Bronk to plant his head between Dale's buttocks as deeply as he can... I don't agree with it, but I understand his need.

In some ways it's a dead horse in that it probably will not change. That doesn't mean we all have to like it.
And yet still no film?
See Rule #4