Author Topic: The most over-rated aircraft in the hangar  (Read 7210 times)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Re: The most over-rated aircraft in the hangar
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2008, 09:47:48 PM »
I'd go with the 262.

- oldman

That's actually kind of counter-intuitive but very true, at least from a fighter vs fighter perspective. The 262 reminds me of AW's Korea arena, the damn P51s were a serious pita to kill with the jets because of the enormous speed differential and the greater relative maneuverability of the Pony. Of course the jets were largely immune to the Pony due to the speed but that was little comfort. There were no HO's in AW, so the jets couldn't be HO'd down like we do to 262's in the MA
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2008, 10:00:37 PM »
I'd go with the 262.

- oldman

4 nose mounted 30mm cannons with ammo to spare and easily the best BnZ/Energy fighter in the game, and at the right speeds not a bad TnB either. Not something I'd ever consider over-rated.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2008, 10:07:31 PM »

4 nose mounted 30mm cannons with ammo to spare and easily the best BnZ/Energy fighter in the game, and at the right speeds not a bad TnB either. Not something I'd ever consider over-rated.

<S>...-Gixer

I can count on one hand the number of people I even give a second thought in a 262...If it is truly that capable it's not used that way as far as I can tell...From my perspective, so long as you have even mediocre SA you are all but immune to a 262. I think I've been killed by a 262 once ever...It was GooseCH, he plucked me like a ripe fruit as I was wallowing at the top of a loop while roping someone, he zoomed up from the deck, he must have been going mach 1.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 10:10:18 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2008, 10:32:34 PM »
My opinion is based on the specifications of the aircraft and whether it's  over-rated. Wasn't including the monkey in the seat banking and yanking the stick trying to his best to rip the wings off or whine that a buff can kill his perk ride when he attacks from dead six..

Specification wise, nothing compares. Hence not over-rated imho.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2008, 10:39:37 PM »
My opinion is based on the specifications of the aircraft and whether it's  over-rated. Wasn't including the monkey in the seat banking and yanking the stick trying to his best to rip the wings off or whine that a buff can kill his perk ride when he attacks from dead six..

Specification wise, nothing compares. Hence not over-rated imho.

<S>...-Gixer

I think the 262 is underrated as a buff killer but overrated as an air superiority fighter. I did have someone turn-fight my Tempest with a 262 once though. I can't for the life of me remember who it was, that was an interesting experience. I was so shocked I kind of froze for a minute, we went a few turns before I got him...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 10:41:26 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2008, 10:55:59 PM »
Yeah you keep coming back to the monkey in the seat thing. Pilots being equal I would never over rate a 262 or a Temp.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2008, 11:50:59 PM »

It could very well be that there are crack pilots who can use the 262 well....I've seen TrueKill stall-fight it effectively.  But otherwise, so long as people know you're flying the thing nearby, it's just a matter of luck that it gets kills against fighters.  Every 262 fighter kill I've ever seen (except for TK's!) has been against someone who didn't know the jet was coming after him.

The guns are lethal, of course, but the trajectory is lousy for any fighter, and dreadful for one as fast as the 262.  I'm sure it's a great bomber killer, but otherwise it's a boring plane to fly and a boring plane to fly against.

- oldman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2008, 11:58:31 PM »
The guns are lethal, of course, but the trajectory is lousy for any fighter, and dreadful for one as fast as the 262.  I'm sure it's a great bomber killer, but otherwise it's a boring plane to fly and a boring plane to fly against.

I was flying that thing as my main ride during my last tour before name change, which somewhat forced me to fly it in situations where I normally wouldn't have taken a 262 to.
While of course a big part of my kills have been buffs and fighters with low SA, I often took it down low and dirty. Once you get the hang of it, you can actually quite good fight in it. Though the real fun always starts when another 262 shows up ;)

Of course the hefty perk price prevents most occasional Me 262 users (myself included) from trying such things.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 12:02:28 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2008, 07:58:11 AM »
It could very well be that there are crack pilots who can use the 262 well....I've seen TrueKill stall-fight it effectively.  But otherwise, so long as people know you're flying the thing nearby, it's just a matter of luck that it gets kills against fighters.  Every 262 fighter kill I've ever seen (except for TK's!) has been against someone who didn't know the jet was coming after him.

- oldman

Yea, that's been more or less my experience. Once the area-wide 262 alert is sounded. Everyone is keeping an eye on him and he either gets HO'd or tries to kill fighters but people duck him and he eventually leaves in frustration or to pop some buffs he notices...

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2008, 09:56:24 AM »
During the last frame of Der Zweite Blitz in the last FSO four of my squadron flew 262s, and the guys I picked all had experience with the ship in the Mains. There were at least two or three occasions I lost kills because of the awful ballistics, rate of fire and muzzle velocity of the guns. The target flew right through my bullet-stream on the snapshot, and would have been dead if I'd had Brownings or Hispanos, or even the smaller German guns.

The only time a 262 in the Mains is dangerous is if you're already involved with another target, or you're in Buffs which can't maneuver out of the way.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2008, 10:56:53 AM »
In the usual MA environment, I think the spit14 is overrated.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2008, 12:17:48 PM »
Me too.  Spit 14 is not much of a plane.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2008, 12:23:29 PM »
That's a good example of when someone thinks others have over-rated an airplane.  It can also happen that people do over-rate an airplane.   An airplane might have a much bigger reputation than it is worth, e.g. the La-7, which is show by all of the "perk the La-7" threads.  This phenomenon is not disputed by anyone.

Maybe we're wondering whether most people base their "over-rated" opinion from flying an airplane or getting shot down by them.  I would have thought it was the latter, but you've made me think.

If anything, the La-7 is under-rated because of all the diddlywits that fly it around.  It is the second best plane in the game.  If the F4U's ever have their freakishly amazing slow speed stability removed... it would be the best plane.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2008, 12:32:16 PM »
Going off some old experience, since I haven't played lately. 

The 190s are all over-rated, at least on the boards.  They'd rate somewhere between the B-24 and the A-20 as a fighter.

The Spit 14 is over-rated by the perk system, a 109K is just as good.

I actually think the Niki is over-rated.  I personally can't stand it, it took a large whack with the nerf stick during the transition from AH1 to AH2.. and it has never been the same.  In AH1 it was a bona-fide killer - I'd have taken it over any Spit/turny plane.  AH2 it is meat for any Spit but the 14, the Hurri2c, and the Ki-84 (which is under-rated, imo.. although compared to a Spixteen no wonder nobody flies it.. or anything else). 

The P-51 is over-rated, in my opinion.  Unless they un-nerfed it since I stopped playing.  Before it inherited the turning radius of a dump truck (or 190, take your pick), it was a good all-round fighter.

Thats all I can think of.  Just my 2c.

Offline *PAPA*

• Zinc Member
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2008, 02:24:57 PM »
the p-51 is overated because it was by far the best plane in WWII

Maybe.  But the p51 showed in such large numbers the opposing planes were overwhelmed en masse.  If a large number of 190D's or KI-100's had been produced and showed up for the fight with trained pilots then it might have been a different story.
All Your Base Belong to us.