Author Topic: Waffen SS Squad?  (Read 11473 times)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Re: Waffen SS Squad?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 07:43:07 PM »
Some groups did commit atrocities, but the majority were just awesome combat troops.

Awesome combat troops in the sense that they were well trained, experienced, well equipped and had good morale.  They were excellent fighters.

I am not a Nazi sympathiser or indeed not denying that atrocities were committed.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline DaveJ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 07:45:59 PM »
The SS Totenkopf was the most infamous Waffen SS division in regards to being concentration camp guards.

As Furball said, most of the rest were front line troops and took their place in the Wehrmacht order of battle.

I don't think a squad in AH should be named after them, however.
~DaveyJ~
Jokers Jokers

Noseart

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 07:49:45 PM »
We had a squad named waffenSS previously.  It is no longer with us.  that answers the question.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 07:54:57 PM »
If it's the same people who pulled this stunt last year they need to be banned.  This is not the place for that stuff.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 07:55:44 PM »
Furball I never suggested anything to the contrary. I do not believe anyone on this board or even the CO of the squad is any kind of nazi supporter. I think it must be either a provocation or a young man who simply doesn't know what shudders the two letters SS make on many still living today.

DaveJ we agree on something. I call that progress and I'll have a Zywiec to go with it!
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 08:02:42 PM »
It is never just black or white, but varying shades of gray.

Someone else could e.g. be offended by British or American bomber squadrons, because of killing civilians - women and children - intentionally. Atrocities happened in wars, usually on both/all sides, even in the recent ones.

Even though I don't approve the Nazis or the SS-organization, I do not condemn every SS-soldier for what some of them did. Then again, I also cannot see any sensible reason to use SS in connection with AH squadron names. After all, the SS units were only ground troops, and AH is a Flight sim ;)

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 08:07:39 PM »
It is never just black or white, but varying shades of gray.

Someone else could e.g. be offended by British or American bomber squadrons, because of killing civilians - women and children - intentionally. Atrocities happened in wars, usually on both/all sides, even in the recent ones.

Even though I don't approve the Nazis or the SS-organization, I do not condemn every SS-soldier for what some of them did. Then again, I also cannot see any sensible reason to use SS in connection with AH squadron names. After all, the SS units were only ground troops, and AH is a Flight sim ;)

I'm not sure this argument holds.
Dropping bombs from thousands of feet is not the same as shooting people at point blank range, mass execution style.
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF

Offline DaveJ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 08:10:07 PM »
I'm not sure this argument holds.
Dropping bombs from thousands of feet is not the same as shooting people at point blank range, mass execution style.

Spot on.
~DaveyJ~
Jokers Jokers

Noseart

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 08:11:55 PM »
Yup, true. The bombs usually kill more.

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 08:13:39 PM »
Yup, true. The bombs usually kill more.

Are you sure about that?
Edit: In overall figures your probably right. However if we were to include concentration camps in which SS played a role, we would come up with similar numbers I believe.
But that is besides the point. I do not believe a pilot dropping bombs on a city holds the same responsibility as a soldier shooting a civilian at point blank range. Not all of those pilots would be able to do the second, however all of those SS members in question would be able to do the first.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 08:20:34 PM by saantana »
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008, 08:33:22 PM »
The SS Totenkopf was the most infamous Waffen SS division in regards to being concentration camp guards.

As Furball said, most of the rest were front line troops and took their place in the Wehrmacht order of battle.

I don't think a squad in AH should be named after them, however.

You gents have been victims of revisionist history that has done a fairly effective job of trying to paint the Waffen SS as just another branch of the German military.  The 1st SS  Liebstandarte were Hitler's bodyguards to start.

Fanatical combat troops and very effective?  Yes.  loyalty oath to Hitler.  Yes.  Commit attrocities all over the place?  Yes.

It would be an inappropriate squad name in here.  What the Waffen SS has to do with an air combat game is beyond me.  They were not a squadron at any point.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2008, 08:51:25 PM »
Fanatical combat troops and very effective?  Yes.  loyalty oath to Hitler.  Yes.  Commit atrocities all over the place?  Yes.

Again none of these are just black or white.

- I doubt the old men and young boys in 1945 Berlin were always very fanatical or effective.
- Giving a military oath is a ritual, who can say what each individual truly thinks. Married couples give oaths to each other, but do they all honor them?
- Every unit in every place, eh?

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 09:01:39 PM »
If you are concerned about a squadron's name, take a screenshot of the name off the roster and email it to HTC for them to review and make the final judgement.

ack-ack

Thats the way to do it. I see a Fuzzy Bunnies in thier future.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2008, 09:04:56 PM »
There is little difference between having Waffen SS or the Klu Klux Klan as a squad name

Both are a group of thugs that fought for the losing side of history and have vile deeds associated with their name.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2008, 09:11:04 PM »
nm, already been said
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"