Author Topic: Your first job?  (Read 1559 times)

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
Re: Your first job?
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2008, 12:02:10 AM »
First job was as a Sailing Instructor.

£40  ($70) a week for a six and bit day week.

Pay sucked but I loved that job.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2008, 12:34:52 AM »
I started working at a beeper company in Hartford, Connecticut in 1990. Started with inventory and moved on to repair (changing displays, crystals, etc) and I was self taught.

If I didn't get laid off from that job, my life would of turned out much different as I would of never changed fields.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2008, 07:31:19 AM »

Let's see.........started "helping out" (working) on my dad's farm when I was 10.......soon as I was big enough to handle a tractor.
Did that til I turned 17 and got offered a job at a farm equipment dealership in the town where I went to school.
Farm hand:  Six days a week (Monday-Saturday, 6AM til dark, so usually 8 or 9PM).....salary was $20/week   :huh
Farm equipment store was Monday-Friday, minimum wage......my weekly paychecks were about what I was making for 6 or 7 weeks working for my dad.

Haven't made a habit of working for family since then........lol!   :P

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2008, 07:38:11 AM »
First job was a local radio shack.

Didnt like to too much, too boring and the other employees had about as much sense as a shrubbery.

Oneday someone came in and I asked if they needed any help with anything. After I found what they wanted and left, I was told to "not do that anymore". The reason? Because it takes years of training to do what I just did.  :rolleyes:

No wonder radio shack sucks now, they got rid of the good stuff and replaced it with cell phones, pizza dish tv, and other worthless garbage sold by robots
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2008, 08:10:53 AM »
First job.  I was in third grade and started a lawn service.  Pulled in about $20 a week for almost three years.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2008, 09:00:54 AM »
Started out on the groundscrew on a golf course in Minnesota.  5am til 3pm but hey, free golf meant I played two rounds in the afternoon.  Sure miss that job.  Was great being outside all day long.
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2008, 10:02:08 AM »
Spent summers from 14 on through college helping install conveyor systems, pallet rack and such for my father who is material handling installation contractor. Had my hand go through a pulley that year while cleaning the grease off of a cable driving a roller conveyor system with a rag and solvent. 

The knuckle on my middle finger on that hand got mauled a bit and has been larger ever since and easily pops when I crack it :) I can also count perhaps dozen or more nice scars from slipped wrenches and sharp edges. But, laid the foundation for being fairly handy with tools.

Charon