Author Topic: What a friking boring game this has become  (Read 5334 times)

storch

Re: What a friking boring game this has become
« Reply #150 on: August 20, 2008, 10:49:35 AM »
After reading some of the comments on the 190s in here, I decided to take one out for ride.

I picked the A8.

Wow!! Pretty fast, the roll rate was great, and holy chiz!! The guns!!

I plowed through a furball with guns blazings and actually got a few kills in one pass!! lol

Also did a few 1v1s and found it to be alot fun too!!

But quickly discovered that even when working the throttle, its not much of a turner.

Gonna try to learn to fly this plane.

Having flown it only a couple times, I can understand the attraction to this plane, but still don't understand why alot(not all) of guys run away in it.

Boner
it will turn!  any time you want to go into the DA informally give me a shout.

Offline JETBLST

• Copper Member
« Reply #151 on: August 20, 2008, 10:54:07 AM »
AH!  

So like people who just ram you, (Nothing against a well performed  HO shot) but people who just do that and that is all.  Do not know how to do more than just one tactic?  That sort of thing?  I mean, I have been trained by the best of the best.  I can turn, BnZ, GV, Bomb, etc.  I love it all!

I have about 10 planes I stick with.  Im adding more all the time.  As I learn them.

So are you (they) talking about those that just want this to be like another Xbox 360 kind of game?  Instead of learning the game in its entire?  

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #152 on: August 20, 2008, 10:55:27 AM »
Roger that.  Then help me out.  What is it I am missing here about all this strife the old timers are having?  With all due respect here,  AND I DO MEAN JUST THAT.  What was so great about the AH of old.  What was so different?  I really do not know and Im trying to understand what you and the others here are complaining about.  Im still new with only a year total under my belt. :confused:  I guess I dont find this game boring at all.  And I am like  :rolleyes:  WHAT?  Boring?

Thanks so much!

Jetblst, the same complaints have been made since the birth of online multiplayer flight sims.  "It's not like the old days." :cry  I played warbirds for a couple years about 10 years ago (around the time HT/Pyro sold to Wildbill), and even then the same complaints could be heard.  "What's happened to this game?"  "Remember the fun we had playing Confirmed Kill back in 1990?  These new players are ruining the game" :rolleyes: yada yada yada.  My memory isn't perfect, but I see zero difference in player behavior after an 8 year hiatus. :P  Runners, vulchers, pickers, hoers, griefers, etc.  It's all the same.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 10:57:01 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline JETBLST

• Copper Member
« Reply #153 on: August 20, 2008, 10:57:34 AM »
Jetblst, the same complaints have been made since the birth of online multiplayer flight sims.  "It's not like the old days." :cry  I played warbirds for a couple years about 10 years ago, and even then the same complaints could be heard.  "What's happened to this game?"  "Remember the fun we had playing Confirmed Kill back in 1990?  These new players are ruining the game" :rolleyes:yada yada yada.  My memory isn't perfect, but I see zero difference in player behavior after an 8 year hiatus. :P  Runners, vulchers, pickers, hoers, griefers, etc.  It's all the same.

LOL  This is my first multiplayer flight sim.  Sheese, you'd think I'd been on these a long time ago.  Since I do actually fly for a living   :rolleyes:

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #154 on: August 20, 2008, 10:58:51 AM »
What kind of business mentality is that Xargos!
Honest business.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #155 on: August 20, 2008, 10:59:39 AM »
LOL  This is my first multiplayer flight sim.  Sheese, you'd think I'd been on these a long time ago.  Since I do actually fly for a living   :rolleyes:

My childhood buddy is in the airforce and I can't get him to play this game.  He says he doesn't have the time and doesn't see the point since he gets to play redflag games with the japanese.  I'm envious. :cry
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #156 on: August 20, 2008, 11:00:26 AM »
What kind of business mentality is that Xargos!

I found this game by word of mouth.  I didn't need to see an ad to find it and the community was large even back then in 2002.  You got much more personal training from the Vets because there weren't as many noobs bombarding the areas like today.  I believe in keeping a known paying customer with quality, instead of getting greedy.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 11:04:12 AM by Xargos »
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #157 on: August 20, 2008, 11:13:26 AM »
I found this game by word of mouth.  I didn't need to see an ad to find it and the community was large even back then in 2002.  You got much more personal training from the Vets because there weren't as many noobs bombarding the areas like today.  I believe in keeping a known paying customer with quality, instead of getting greedy.

HTC has held up their end in making the best online flight sim, period bar none. They have delivered quality, and they deserve the increased profits additional membership brings. It is not like they advertised on Nickelodeon or something either-History/Military channel ads are a perfectly reasonable place to look for their target audience. They cannot, other than basic moderator tasks, control how players play the game, within the rules of said game.

And frankly, for the most part I fail to see any huge problem with MA, other than at times just getting overwhelmed by the numbers, in several senses. As Zaz alludes can find any kind of action you like if you go about it right. I've flown an A-20 into red-held areas before for instance. Finding a fight will be the least of your worries.

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #158 on: August 20, 2008, 11:15:55 AM »
Remember AW1, 2 and 3? where they had about 2000 players at least online most of the time? Each set of Arena (pacific, Europe, FR, RR) they all had at least 3 subs arena and all those arena were usually full. AH2 is no where close to that in # of players online.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #159 on: August 20, 2008, 11:17:59 AM »
The sad thing is its not the "kids" doing it anymore, the truth is there are alot of seasoned players doing this also for the "points" or "rank".
There are some supposodly "good sticks" (at least thats what the ranking/points gods say) out there in the MA that are good at throwing the sheep to the wolves so the feeding can begin, they are only fooling themselves, we know who they are and we all have seen it so many times.

Just the other day, I watched a huge group of guys come in at strato alts, picked anything that tries to at least give them a fight and when enough guys eventually got up to even out the numbers any surviving planes high tailed it out of there to land the kills they just picked.  
You got to ask yourself, who are they fooling more than anyone?  Its the  newbs they brought with them to send down as bait so they can take advantage of them not knowing any better, the ones that were landing all the spectacular kills were the Seasoned players that could only do this with the sacrificial bait they had used.

When I catch these "awesome" players alone, usually they are no match, since they dont have the dozen guys zooming your six to save them, and yes they run, fast and hard to the nearest base or help they can find.

I dont care about my score whatsoever and probably die more than not, I will run my plane out of gas chasing them if need be. However, I have noticed for some reason my score has actually gotten better this tour for one reason, through the frustration of what has been going on lately and tactics used by these score whordes, I have been doing what I like to call "HeadHunting", when I find a group of picktards looking for the easy kills, I actively and relentlessly pursue them until they just get tired of getting shot down in thier uber rides, like Temps, 51's, LA's, I look for the "Runners" that get the kills to take home since these are the ones that will do anything to get away so their Precious score wont get affected.

I Vote "yes" to Headhunting, works for me. :D

So to you guys that fit this bill of hiding in your horde or running as fast as you can to the deck when you run out of sacrificial lambs, the guy on your six could be "Daddy", I will not give up or give you any respect: if your RTB, out of fuel or ammo, trying to land, going for the ack, AFK,,, wont bother me a bit to add you to my list.

<S>

I'm pretty sure you already know, but rank & score have little to do with how good they are. It just means in most cases they have perfected the best way to fly for score. That typically involves the exact type of flying you mentioned in this post. Fly with a giant hoard cherry pick & vulch then run home to land the kills soon as anyone puts up a fight.
"strafing"

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #160 on: August 20, 2008, 11:26:06 AM »
Two types of players in AH2. One is the furballer (minority), the other is the land lubers (majority). Land lubers are often there just to take other air fields. They would take a bunch of air plane up and suicide it on hangers or ack to keep supression. The furballers are usually the one that's uppin from capped field amirite? I enjoy both aspect of it.

When I do land lubers sortie I often survive and kill a buncha stuff mainly because the area is capped, and I'm flying around without having to worry about higher contact jumping on me. Of course my mentality on land lubers sortie are to keep that air field suppress and let no one up, so I tend not to get involve into a long turnfight. Mainly because I can pick 3 people in a D9 in 3 minutes where in a turnfight situation w/ a D9 it would take 3-4 min to kill someone and I usually get kill.

When I fly furball missions I usually take just enough fuel to get to the fight, and fight for 15 minutes. I usually never carry enough fuel to make it back. 95% of my furballing sortie I never plan to make it back home. I'd up a 109 or a 190, get to about 5k and find the biggest # of red on the map and fly to it. It's fun sometime, but other time it could get discouraging since you die almost right away when you get to the fight.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #161 on: August 20, 2008, 11:27:53 AM »
Remember AW1, 2 and 3? where they had about 2000 players at least online most of the time? Each set of Arena (pacific, Europe, FR, RR) they all had at least 3 subs arena and all those arena were usually full. AH2 is no where close to that in # of players online.

Yes, and look at what happened to AW.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #162 on: August 20, 2008, 11:28:10 AM »
As Zaz alludes can find any kind of action you like if you go about it right. I've flown an A-20 into red-held areas before for instance. Finding a fight will be the least of your worries.

This is exactly right. You are at the very minimum 50% responsible for the types of fights you tend to get. If you do a little planning, thinking and exercise some common sense you can raise that to something very close to 100%.

What you fly and how high you fly it determines people's reaction to you in-flight. They don't know who's in the 20k Spit16, all they know is some dweeb is 20k in a Spit16 and will choose not play with you more often than not. Conversely, they won't know who's 8k in an F6F (although it's probably Greebo!) all they know is some guy at a reasonable altitude in a less than "uber" plane is a good candidate to fight and will almost certainly engage you. Don't take everything so personally, it's just a matter of people reacting to what information they have in the most reasonable and logical way, it can be predicted like the sun rising in the morning and setting in the evening.
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #163 on: August 20, 2008, 11:28:56 AM »
it will turn!  any time you want to go into the DA informally give me a shout.

Wow! Thanks for the offer storch.

Would like to take you up on that.

I think I'll really learn to like this plane if taught how to fly it properly.

I know that you really like the german iron, so I couldn't imagine a better instructor.

I'm usually on after 8 eastern.

If I see ya on, I'll shoot ya a line.

Thanks again,

Boner
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #164 on: August 20, 2008, 11:29:47 AM »
Yes, and look at what happened to AW.

EA killed it duh !!!
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96