Author Topic: Hiding Carrier - why?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Hiding Carrier - why?
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2008, 11:15:45 AM »
pluck that is a very good/fair post and I would definately agree with making the CV not count as a %.

The Few ***
F.P.H

storch

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2008, 11:23:02 AM »
in the mid war (perhaps the other arenas as well) that practice is prevalent irrespective of country.  the current main offenders are the nits under the leadership of VF15.  about the time school lets out it's not uncommon to see nits with a two to three to one numerical advantage over both the other teams combined and then rolling bases utilizing lancstukas.  once they have all the CVs they "hide" them up far out of reach.

the good news is that there are usually plenty of targets to shoot at and every now and again one is a fairly decent player.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2008, 01:18:36 PM »
in the mid war (perhaps the other arenas as well) that practice is prevalent irrespective of country.  the current main offenders are the nits under the leadership of VF15.  about the time school lets out it's not uncommon to see nits with a two to three to one numerical advantage over both the other teams combined and then rolling bases utilizing lancstukas.  once they have all the CVs they "hide" them up far out of reach.

Cheesey tactics. I think hiding the CV's cheats the arena out of good fights. IMHO the cv to base fights, real close in, are tons of fun. I know there are plenty of people who prefer this kind of fight above others. I upped a zeke a couple of times last tour and had a blast. It's a shame that some misguided people are willing to deny furball fun for the rest.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Twizzty

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2008, 01:46:41 PM »
LOL dont even get me started on the Jokers spying <Finger> most of the Jokers

:uhoh Never been fingered before...thanks Junky...I think.

BTW, I love the signature...everyone likes a good party!  :rock

Meteor Interception of Luftwannabe Forces.
Current status of M.I.L.F: On standby - awaiting aircraft.
The Few

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2008, 10:24:45 PM »
If a country can take the port and kill the CV then they would use it to attack another base creating more engagements, and more entertainment.

Lambo

As a strat player I'm all for hidding Cv's but not as a default.  There are times to use them and times to push them to the back.  The guy with "rank" should be able to see an advantage when presented and push the attack.

There is another side to the coin. Players as a team have captured that port & Cv and guarded it on it's egress.  Considering it's only strat players capturing Cv's I think they earned the right to park it up untill it's safe to move it up.  Bearing in mind it's  often a good source of conflict to stop the suiciding bombers getting it back when they get their port back. 

I've been here long enough to whiteness all sort of scenario's with Cv's which see them sunk in quick time.  Poor command by placing of Cv under SB or at PT spawn.  Locking the command so it can't be turned away from bombers etc.  I've also witnessed plenty of occasions when our fields are being attacked by a Cv and no one gives a dam.  So much for the "it's about the fight" argument.  Had that been a resunk captured Cv a few chaps wouldn't be best pleased.

All I can suggest is to reason with the "rank" player when the Cv's port is safe from capture.  It should be pushed back into the fight.

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2008, 11:43:53 PM »
As a strat player I'm all for hidding Cv's but not as a default.  There are times to use them and times to push them to the back.  The guy with "rank" should be able to see an advantage when presented and push the attack.There is another side to the coin. Players as a team have captured that port & Cv and guarded it on it's egress.  Considering it's only strat players capturing Cv's I think they earned the right to park it up untill it's safe to move it up.  Bearing in mind it's  often a good source of conflict to stop the suiciding bombers getting it back when they get their port back. 

I've been here long enough to whiteness all sort of scenario's with Cv's which see them sunk in quick time.  Poor command by placing of Cv under SB or at PT spawn.  Locking the command so it can't be turned away from bombers etc.  I've also witnessed plenty of occasions when our fields are being attacked by a Cv and no one gives a dam.  So much for the "it's about the fight" argument.  Had that been a resunk captured Cv a few chaps wouldn't be best pleased.

All I can suggest is to reason with the "rank" player when the Cv's port is safe from capture.  It should be pushed back into the fight.

So only the guys with "rank" are the ones smart enough to know when to properly use a CV.  I always hear on this board that score doesn't matter, but I guess in this situation it does.

Not trying to start anything LYNX, I just thought the post was a bit interesting concerning most senior players opinions about score.

Just a thought...

Fred
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 01:32:20 AM by bmwgs »
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2008, 01:47:24 AM »
@ Steve - Usually agree with you on lot. not this time. The strat (win the war) guys are the ones who get the CV in the first place. So how are they denying you anything, without them you wouldn't have it in the first place. Sounds like you want the best of both worlds, but at the same time decrying the guys who captured it in the first place.

@Lynx - Yup mate just about spot on, although rank doesn't neccessarily mean 'smarts'.

Once the fields surrounding the port have been captured then I see no reason why the CV can't be brought back into action. Remember on the old pizza map one time. We had 4 CVs steaming along together, the ack was a nightmare for incoming buffs!!!!
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline lambo31

• Nickel Member
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2008, 06:32:42 AM »
As a strat player I'm all for hidding Cv's but not as a default.  There are times to use them and times to push them to the back.  The guy with "rank" should be able to see an advantage when presented and push the attack.

There is another side to the coin. Players as a team have captured that port & Cv and guarded it on it's egress.  Considering it's only strat players capturing Cv's I think they earned the right to park it up untill it's safe to move it up.  Bearing in mind it's  often a good source of conflict to stop the suiciding bombers getting it back when they get their port back. 

Good point Lynx and I agree with this %100, there is always a flipside. Sometimes the CV might need to be taken out of play, but not taken out of the game like some people do.

No offense but it's not just strat players responsible for capturing CV's or anything else. I've helped take a lot of CV's and ports and I don't consider myself a strat guy. 

Lambo
Ingame ID: Lambo

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2008, 06:36:51 AM »
So only the guys with "rank" are the ones smart enough to know when to properly use a CV.  I always hear on this board that score doesn't matter, but I guess in this situation it does.

Not trying to start anything LYNX, I just thought the post was a bit interesting concerning most senior players opinions about score.

Just a thought...

Fred

Like I always say rank is only good for one thing only and that's acquiring the pink slip for the Cv's.  Unfortunately I've seen rank players lock Cv's away for no good reason.  I've also seen them trot the cv past 2 shore bats like some target drone .  Some folks can't see past the end of their nose let alone the opportunity before them.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2008, 11:29:47 AM »
  No offense but it's not just strat players responsible for capturing CV's or anything else. I've helped take a lot of CV's and ports and I don't consider myself a strat guy. 

Lambo

More often than not its the strat / win the war guys who take ports.
If theres a furball going on those guys will be there, but usually not there for the capture.
Judging by all the posts recently they are usually more annoyed than anything else.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2008, 01:12:31 PM »
The cvs are there for RacrX's political gains. How can he become president if noone gets to see "RacrX for pres" in the cv paths......... :aok
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2008, 02:07:59 PM »
I'll be honest here. Considering this is a game it's kind of lame to remove a potential source of fun from play. But from a military strategy point of view it's right out of Sun Tzu's, "Art of War". Denying an asset to your enemy permanently even if it means denying it to yourself temporarily is sound strategy. That does not mean it's the most fun strategy, but it's undeniably the smart play. It would only be correct to return the CV to play if the port were re-secured and able to be adequately defended. In the era we are currently in of rampant NOE raids to vacant bases and the "win at all costs, fun be damned" mantra, it's perfectly reasonable for this behavior to continue and be considered acceptable...

He said "rampant NOE raids"?  :confused: :confused: :confused:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 02:15:30 PM by Dadsguns »

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."