Author Topic: How can you get the joy out of.....  (Read 989 times)

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: How can you get the joy out of.....
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 08:34:25 AM »
no, not really, I usually get killed by Spit 16s. :)

Just asking what's the joy in breaking up someones good TnB fight? Whats the point of suprising someone? What, a good score?

I experience "picks" from every sort of aircraft. I'd say 190s more rarely than the other types, simply because they are easier to dodge.

I also rarely experience the tnb fights you experience. Most of the time when when I'm in a tnb plane doing the furball thing I see guys (in Spit and N1Ks usually, no less) HOin' and goin', or just blowing past the merge and trying to set up drags for other planes, etc, in general never attacking anything that doesn't already have its six exposed to them. The low and slow furball is the biggest pick/gang-tard fest there is. I find a good way to get a 1v1 is to fly something relatively fast a little higher either drag away or chase down single bandits trying to do the bnz thing themselves.

Dweebish behavior is not related to any one plane my friend.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 08:47:00 AM »
I find the 190 a very great plane to take if I want to have some fun. They're right on the line of being a great dogfighter, but needing a alot of skill to do it! Just yesterday I took a 190A5 up for a little fun. I didn't get any kills, but I did get 2 excellent 1v1 fights in a row in 1 sortie!!

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 08:57:29 AM »
You rip Fw190's for the way they are flown ...yet you fail to mention the way p51's are flown? ....your comments could apply to both types

first off fw190's were never designed to fly super slow in tight circles  World War I style ....by the time the Fw190 came out things had changed ....speed and hitting power were more important then going in tight circles  .....so the pilots in AH are being smart and flying to the planes strengths ...you can be very aggressive in fw190's and I fight like mad in them ....

Helm ...out
XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^
Proudly serving since campaign #13
"No Rain?" ...."No Rainbow, baby!" ....Bootsey Collins 2009

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »

I get pleasure out of fighting 190's because they are a challenging ride, and is really one of the few fighters in this game that was never designed to turn well.

Actually many fighters were designed in WWII with turn radius apparently very low on the priority list.

Remember, ever since the end of WWI, the theorizing before each and every conflict has been "dogfights are now obsolete, planes are too fast and technology is too advanced". So before the war most planes were being to designed to try and stop the bomber, the design qualification was to climb relatively quickly with good armament and go fast. After the war began, ever-increasing speed, armament, altitude performance and range seem to have been the main concerns, with the latter often being dominant.

Wasn't he first American airplane specifically designed to be maneuverable vs. its expected opposition in fact the F-15?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 12:12:04 PM »
Just asking what's the joy in breaking up someones good TnB fight? Whats the point of suprising someone? What, a good score?

Why would you want to resort to using HO's?  Answer that question and all the other answers will be revealed.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 12:23:33 PM »
The D9 just happens to be one of the sexiest planes IMHO.
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 12:46:31 PM »
I'll fly a 190a5 with you.  Lot's of rolling around is fun.  None of that sissy extend 2 sectors stuff.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline beddog

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 02:29:24 PM »
How can you actually have fun flying a 190?

Good question.   Maybe guys are making believe that they are German pilots during WW2 and they are assigned to fly 190s and they are trying to go out and fight and make it back alive and stuff like that........ :)
:disclaimer: 79% of all my posts are Sarcastic.  It's too much work for me to point out which posts are sarcastic and which aren't, so I'm going to use this signature to reduce overhead and sarcastic post identification time consumption or SPITC for short.

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 02:38:35 PM »
How can you actually have fun flying a 190? I've taken a few up, to see what it was like, and the only one I even found sorta challanging was a 190A8, and that was because they could catch me, which just ment I had to chop throttle and roll.... Is this really what 190 pilots live for? I can see no fun in this, and the score part of it is a waste of time. If I wanted to go BnZ, I'd take up a 109K4 and do twice as well because I can turn too. :rolleyes:

190 pilots, please, enlighten me on the joys of the 190? I know there are plenty (actually, a LOT) of good 190 pilots, ones who can turn that thing to the deck and beat ya, but if you're an average 190 pilot, what gives you the kick, I honestly dont know. Only feeling you get is cowardice by running, breaking up fights and HO'ing.

Okay, vicadin wearing off now. go ahead. :)

:rofl :rofl Stick to your spit16 1+, you will never understand if you havent already.
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 02:39:47 PM »
Good question.   Maybe guys are making believe that they are German pilots during WW2 and they are assigned to fly 190s and they are trying to go out and fight and make it back alive and stuff like that........ :)

:confused:  :huh

What's fun about the Fw190 is the same as any other plane. Some folks like a challenge, some folks like the looks, some folks like the guns, or the range (compared to a 109 for example, or a spit16).

Why do folks like the P-47D? It's no speed demon, won't outrun much, it can't turn worth a crap most of the time, its only traits are good dive, good roll, and heavy guns. Yet it, along with the Fw190, shares a following that enjoys flying it.

Stupid question to begin with. Might as well ask folks why they like eggs, or hiking boots, or something else just as random.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 02:41:53 PM »
nevermind
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 02:43:50 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 03:28:24 PM »
I like the way the FW190 makes heavy bomber pilots poop their pants.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 05:03:10 PM »
I experience "picks" from every sort of aircraft. I'd say 190s more rarely than the other types, simply because they are easier to dodge.

I also rarely experience the tnb fights you experience. Most of the time when when I'm in a tnb plane doing the furball thing I see guys (in Spit and N1Ks usually, no less) HOin' and goin', or just blowing past the merge and trying to set up drags for other planes, etc, in general never attacking anything that doesn't already have its six exposed to them. The low and slow furball is the biggest pick/gang-tard fest there is. I find a good way to get a 1v1 is to fly something relatively fast a little higher either drag away or chase down single bandits trying to do the bnz thing themselves.

Dweebish behavior is not related to any one plane my friend.

Even when I take up a 51, I'll do flaps turning with anything except a zeke or a hurri. Just still have found no out right reason why a plane that can dive, run, and HO well can be fun. :(

I like the way the FW190 makes heavy bomber pilots poop their pants.

But this one does make me smile :) If it's like 5am and some idiot is trying to rack up score, I like to take up a 190A8 and get some points myself. :)
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 07:27:45 PM »
Even when I take up a 51, I'll do flaps turning with anything except a zeke or a hurri. Just still have found no out right reason why a plane that can dive, run, and HO well can be fun. :(

If you are an effective P-51 pilot at all, you have made a study of how to use energy and angles to overcome a large turn rate disadvantage. What, that knowledge magically disappears when you try a 190? I gotta call bull on that one.

Take the Mustang, take away its maneuvering flaps, make it turn marginally less well. But make it climb, accelerate, and roll decidedly better. Give it two 20mms mounted near center-line. Voila, you got a D9. If you can figure out how to fly a P-51 but can't figure a Dora, you aren't thinking hard enough.

BTW, a 40/8 k/d in the Pony indicates a few possibilities. You either DO realize how to get the most out of a brick and are just posting this to agitate, or you mostly pick in the Pony, in which cases criticizing 190s is abit assinine. A k/d of 5 in the Pony also pretty much proves that knife-fighting Spits below 220 mph ain't ALL you do with it.  :D

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2008, 08:43:19 PM »
If you are an effective P-51 pilot at all, you have made a study of how to use energy and angles to overcome a large turn rate disadvantage. What, that knowledge magically disappears when you try a 190? I gotta call bull on that one.

It's a result of someone that knows the 'gimmicks' of the trade but not the actual knowledge.

When I first started out playing online flight sims the first plane I flew was the FW190-A8.  One learns pretty quickly that you can't out turn most planes you encounter in a normal turn fight but you can use one of its main strengths (roll rate) to over come that weakness.  That's how I learned to use angles to cut inside of a better maneuvering plane's turn.  That knowledge has carried over to every plane I've flown.  It's not plane specific.

So I have to agree with you, I call bull on that one too.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song