Author Topic: Perk Il-2 37mm cannons  (Read 4359 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Perk Il-2 37mm cannons
« on: September 30, 2008, 01:26:20 AM »
I'll sacrifice myself to the mob of judgment and throw this one out there: perk the 37mm cannons on the Il-2.  I don't know how much they should cost, but any idiot can kill tanks now simply by pointing and shooting.  There's no skill to it at all.

I know we don't have a way to perk ordinance yet, but in the meantime it would be easy to split the Il-2 into two aircraft, delete the 37mm cannon option from one and perk the other.  Done.

Please don't flame me too much. :D
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Perk Il-2 37mm cannons
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 02:19:35 AM »
Mmmmmm No.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 04:56:57 AM »
I'll sacrifice myself to the mob of judgment and throw this one out there: perk the 37mm cannons on the Il-2.  I don't know how much they should cost, but any idiot can kill tanks now simply by pointing and shooting.  There's no skill to it at all.

I know we don't have a way to perk ordinance yet, but in the meantime it would be easy to split the Il-2 into two aircraft, delete the 37mm cannon option from one and perk the other.  Done.

Please don't flame me too much. :D
Soon as they perk the K-4... OK?
See Rule #4

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 04:59:37 AM »
but any idiot can kill tanks now simply by pointing and shooting.  There's no skill to it at all.

I felt like that yesterday when I took it up for a couple of runs.   Not the me being an idiot part but the fact that you just can't miss a GV.  The rate of fire combined with the very stable, recoiless guns.   I just flew right up to a panzer no regard to line up or position (hurri2d style)  held the trigger down 10 rounds fired and he was blown into oblivion.

I went top down on a Wirbel that wasnt paying attention 6 rounds BOOM!  he dead.

4 Gv's killed in a matter of 2 minutes.  Why bother with upping bombs and getting Alt to dive bomb?   They would have spent 5 minutes each driving to town so whats taken 20 minutes of enemy effort I undid in 2 minutes.

Now I dont care much for the GV game and if it's designed to defeat a bunch of landgrabbers from destroying towns and milking bases then I love the new IL2.  If that promotes more Air Combat in this here Flight Combat game to keep a cap over enemy fields to kill IL2's then great.

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 06:00:34 AM »
+1. Needs to be perked.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 06:07:29 AM »
Yep, perk it - no comparison to K4... K4 drops like a rock past 150-200 yards
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 06:37:48 AM »
As the wirlie was a god send to the Gv'er so is the IL-2 to the flyer :D

I would concure with Bruvs sentiments in promoting air combat.  We didn't search "Aces Low" when we went alookin for a shoot um up did we.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 07:21:29 AM by LYNX »

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 06:40:57 AM »
This goes back to my old request I posted 10 times in the wishlist. Take the F4u-1d and the F4u-1c for example - same aircraft, different guns.
Have the same plane, with perk weapons. I think it would probably not work since it would have to re-do the game, but just copy the il-2 over and give it a perk option for 37mm's maybe 6 perks for it. I mean seriously all one has to do is spray and you win.

or add the Ju-87G with 37mm guns that are not perked, but I believe it had 6 rounds per gun (not sure on this believe its correct)
Il-2 perked for the cannon load and a flying tank, Ju-87 thats slow, heavy armed, but not armored.

/Makes sense to me I think? lol

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 07:45:43 AM »
or add the Ju-87G with 37mm guns that are not perked, but I believe it had 6 rounds per gun (not sure on this believe its correct)
Il-2 perked for the cannon load and a flying tank, Ju-87 thats slow, heavy armed, but not armored.

The Ju87G was armored.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 08:14:56 AM »
I would argue that it was not in the same league as the flying bathtub, though, aye Anax?

Luftwaffe pilots give stories of the Il2 being unstoppable unless hit in certain parts of the engine.

Hartmann, for example, said something of this nature.

Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 08:25:15 AM »
As much as I hate to face these things when I am in a gv, I would have to say no unless they decide to perk the wirblewind.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 09:00:29 AM »
As much as I hate to face these things when I am in a gv, I would have to say no unless they decide to perk the wirblewind.

You have a point yeah, for GV's to be successful will require air support, as GV's were not unstopable without it. I mean even a stuka was
invisible with good air support, so i sort of agree with ya on the subject.

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 09:14:29 AM »
I mean even a stuka was
invisible with good air support, so i sort of agree with ya on the subject.

So the Romulans gave the Nazis their cloaking technology?  :noid I believe it..

Seriously though, perk the thing lightly, give the GV guys a chance. It is little unbalancing as it stands, there is no tank except possibly the tiger that it is not easy to turret/outright destroy with the 37mms.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 09:17:46 AM »
I would argue that it was not in the same league as the flying bathtub, though, aye Anax?

Luftwaffe pilots give stories of the Il2 being unstoppable unless hit in certain parts of the engine.

Hartmann, for example, said something of this nature.

The rear guns were pretty vulnerable.  Getting assigned a rear gunner position on an IL-II was, more or less, a punishment assignment.

Give us the Stuka G   :rock

Perk the Whirble, even with perk, it would give a fighting chance to someone with good aim against  joe-chit the ragman in an IL-II who doesn't need much skill to wipe out damn near anything on the ground.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 09:19:39 AM by VonMessa »
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 09:21:01 AM »
Anything that prevents a solo GV from going and porking an airfield all one his lonesome is a good thing in my book.  You want protection from the IL-2, bring a WW, or some fighter cover.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech