Author Topic: New player saying hello.  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
Re: New player saying hello.
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 02:16:05 PM »
I do watch the History channel sometimes, but I guess the shows I've recently tuned in to watch on it dont run it.  Thanks for the links.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 03:24:31 PM »
I first discovered AH2 back in February this year while watching something on the Military Channel - didn't know they air on History Channel as well.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Tom5572

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 04:10:08 PM »
I would like to say welcome to the addiction and  :salute sir.  I first started flying about a year and a half ago.  I found it was easiest to learn the spit IX as it is very stable in maneuvers.  It is a little on the challenging side to land but who needs gear anyway, just belly flop it in...hehe
     I agree completely with WMLute about spending time in the training arena.  I learned a lot from the trainers.  I am by no means good but they helped me to learn what I needed for my first kill.  :rock
     One of the books that was highly recommended to me by WMLute (one of the better pilots) is a book called "Fighter Combat:  Tactics and Maneuvering" by Robert Shaw.  It is kind of a dry read but it is worth it.  Amazon has it for $26.37. 
     When you do finally get into the Main Arena, anyone who tells you to hit alt + F4 is only asking you to close the game. 
     This is a game is awesome in its intensity and the community of pilots, men and women, are second to none.  I wish you the best of and have a good time with it.  Do not get too frustrated starting off, as previously mentioned, there is a steep learning curve.
     Good luck to you sir and hope to see you in the cartoon skluck ies over aces high soon!

WMTom
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 04:19:20 PM »
<----- Licks chops.  Baby seals... mmmmm.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 05:36:08 PM »
I honestly forget exactly when I started playing AH, but I was gone for a long time.  I know I was able to remember my original account login info from then, but had to make this new forum account.  I know I started playing AH when I was still in High School, I think '98 or '99. 

I remember that the game back then was just stepping into vehicles (of the non-aircraft variety) and had the M16 AA vehicle, the M3 (i think) transport and the PT boats... other than ground batteries, those were the only things in the game that you could control and not get altitude with if I remember correctly.  I remember that the C-47 only dropped troops for a long time, and that you could only capture fields via troops takeing the map room on the airfield, instead of captureing the neighboring town (like it is now).  I remember the addition of Air Field Cargo to the C-47's "ordinance" back then in a patch too, and at the time it was hailed by many as it was the only way for a player to speed up the repair of a base.  The only mega-bombers in the game were the Lanc and B-17.  I think the 262 wasn't in the game when I first started either, but was added soon after that (I should take one up in the TA, havent flown it since coming back due to this newfangled ENY-perky-pointy-thing that has been added to the game... or did I just not remember that correctly... *shrug*).  I definetley don't remember AH having the P-47, P-39 or any other P-38 variant other than the L.

If anyone else remembers those days.... I could really use a quick refresher on all this "new" stuff.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.