Author Topic: Made my first AH2 video, have a question  (Read 957 times)

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Made my first AH2 video, have a question
« on: November 04, 2008, 01:23:26 AM »
Was bored today, so I made my first AH2 video.

I kept it pretty small, about 9mb...  Was wondering how large of a file I could have gotten away with and still been acceptable for sharing here?  I would like to go somewhat larger to get better resolution. 

Take a look and tell me what you think.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ea9273c6ecfdbe5dab1eab3e9fa335ca2f8c479c45d15c69

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: Made my first AH2 video, have a question
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 10:03:27 AM »
You have a 5 1/2 minute movie and only a 9mb file.  You could have gone up quite a bit in quality actually.  The last movie I did (VF31 Tomcatters) runs about 5:15 and about 39mb.  I rendered mine at 640x480 and about 90% quality and IIRC 160 kbps mp3 codec.  You can see what those settings look like here:
http://www.aceshighmovies.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=56&task=view.download&cid=76
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 10:20:39 AM »
You have a 5 1/2 minute movie and only a 9mb file.  You could have gone up quite a bit in quality actually.  The last movie I did (VF31 Tomcatters) runs about 5:15 and about 39mb.  I rendered mine at 640x480 and about 90% quality and IIRC 160 kbps mp3 codec.  You can see what those settings look like here:
http://www.aceshighmovies.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=56&task=view.download&cid=76

Thanks for letting me know.  I knew I was a bit under the curve, as far as resolution goes.  If I have time later, I may re-run it at a higher resolution.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 11:47:52 AM »
You can go A LOT higher. Some of our prestigious film makers will run a 5 minute video on a 100MB .wmv file. There's a lot more you can do.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 01:19:42 PM »
I worked on it a bit more and rendered it at a higher setting. 

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ea9273c6ecfdbe5dab1eab3e9fa335ca8c2656944c080dd3

See what you think of it.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 04:12:57 PM »
Good Video :salute
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 04:53:41 PM »
 Not very clear. You having the same problem I was in my first few attempts. Try setting FRAPS to full size and 50fps. Also I prefer the films without the icons, and try some camera shots. also I thing putting it on media fire vs youtube works best because it uses windows media player

my first movie

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,249943.0.html

my 3rd movie

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,250387.0.html
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 04:59:53 PM by flatiron1 »

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 04:57:28 PM »
I'm not using Fraps.  I can't justify the cost of buying it, and I don't want to have to fudge around with the 30 seconds limitation of the unregistered version.  I can do a crystal clear version easily, but it would be too large of a file.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 05:02:26 PM »
what are you using, guncam? I have found that when I do my editing the 30 second thing is not that bad.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 05:07:11 PM »
what are you using, guncam? I have found that when I do my editing the 30 second thing is not that bad.

I converted to AVI with the Film Viewer, then imported the shots into a program called Video Wave 8.  I chose to do it this way because I already had the Video Wave software and have used it for quite some time to edit other videos.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 05:16:28 PM »
I can do a crystal clear version easily, but it would be too large of a file.
I downloaded Kermit's 20 minute film and it was 293MB or something huge... It was worth every minute of it.  :aok

My films run around 90MB for 4-6 minutes... Quality is usually what people usually want to see (Depends on your films purpose though), along with many other factors - Denholm can list those  ;)

EDIT:

Just saw your film. It's a great first movie Dave! Love the action, and the single plane focus on the Ki. Music choice was nice, and I could tell you were getting the hang of syncronizing the music and the footage as you went along. Bravo sir. You have a talent for this, and soon enough your be getting fraps, and adding soundtrack music, gun sounds, explosions, damage, etc... You just wait. Another AH addiction born.   ;)

As far as the quality, It may just be your graphics card, not the rendering. I have to manually turn my graphics up before I start filming the the Film viewer. Then I see a major difference in quality. I turn it all back down before flying to keep FRs high.

Keep 'em coming.

<<S>>

Mathis
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 05:46:42 PM by bnasty »
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 08:26:17 AM »
I hadn't thought of turning up my graphics settings before capture.  I'll give that a whirl sometime.

I'm a little curious about fraps.  All of the things that you listed that I could start adding (sound effects etc) are all things that I can currently do with my own software.  The Video Wave 8 software I am using for editing is pretty powerful and honestly some of the most user friendly video editing software I have ever come across.

I'm curious what other abilities Fraps has.  If I'm going to fork out the $37 to buy it, I'm curious to know what it really can do.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 09:06:38 AM »
FRAPS is video and sound capture only if I recall correctly. You can't use it to add or edit sound effects. FRAPS will record sound effects if you film in-game, however if you film from the Film Viewer you might want to dump any sound it records and use your own.

Quality is usually what people usually want to see (Depends on your films purpose though), along with many other factors - Denholm can list those  ;)
:D

Only if he asks.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 10:37:44 AM »
FRAPS is video and sound capture only if I recall correctly. You can't use it to add or edit sound effects.

I'm curious what you all are using for editing together the clips then?

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 12:08:31 PM »
Sony Vegas 8.0
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]