Author Topic: Spitfire wing tips  (Read 9811 times)

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
Re: Spitfire wing tips
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2008, 03:29:32 PM »
Oh there are clipped wing Spitfire VIII's.

Some served in Italy. I have some pics in Late Marque Spitfire Aces, but picture hangar isn't working.

Guppy has the same book, he can scan it for us  :D
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2008, 04:04:05 PM »
Then use something else, like Photobucket.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2008, 02:37:57 AM »
Oh there are clipped wing Spitfire VIII's.

Some served in Italy. I have some pics in Late Marque Spitfire Aces, but picture hangar isn't working.

Guppy has the same book, he can scan it for us  :D

Almost missed it.

Two clipped 8s from the MTO, one a senior officer's bird.  I'd like that one in my garage thanks :)

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2008, 03:59:50 AM »
From a game play perspective I could see clipping the Mk V's wing for a little variety, but not the whole lineup of Spits.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2008, 04:42:20 AM »
just out of interest I asked a squaddie who's company restore/remanufacture spits and they are never asked for clipped or extended tips for any mark. we suspect this is just for aesthetic reasons (for many people the eliptical wing defines the spitfire.)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2008, 10:21:49 AM »
The flying razorbacked Mk XIV has clipped wings in some shots and full wings in others.  I have never seen a restored Spit with extended wingtips.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2008, 11:46:29 AM »
The flying razorbacked Mk XIV has clipped wings in some shots and full wings in others.  I have never seen a restored Spit with extended wingtips.

I 'believe' all the wartime clipped XIV's were FR XIV's, they had to be clipped, something to do with wing roots wrinkling!!!!
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2008, 11:58:12 AM »
Almost missed it.

Two clipped 8s from the MTO, one a senior officer's bird.  I'd like that one in my garage thanks :)

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
ooohhh thinking MK XVI with extended range.....the whine to be had.  :D
See Rule #4

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2008, 04:07:17 PM »
The wing root wrinkling problem was fixed with the addition of the double (but in some cases singe) reinforcement bars or 'ribs' just seen outboard of the landing gear bulges atop each wing, running parallel to the fuselage. This was an occurrence more common in the dive-bombing Spitfires.. like the IX/XVI. Strangely enough, this Mk.II restoration has it:

Extra fuel? Hm .. it would stop uneducated P-51 afficionados from saying how much better the slower accelerating, worse climbing Mustang was compared to the Spitfire because of its range.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2008, 05:56:29 PM »
In terms of restored Spits, the tendency is to go with full span wings for the slow speed handling.  There are a few clipped birds, but many of the 16s flying that came from the factory with clipped wings now have full span added during their restorations, again for the slow speed handling and safety.

Many Spit restored also have the larger rudder added even though they had the smaller version when first from the factory.  Again it's handling and safety.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2008, 08:41:16 PM »

The only Spit still surviving with extended wing tips is the Spit VII at the NASM.  Of course it's the only surviving Spit VII too, so I guess it figures :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2008, 09:08:45 AM »
Sorry but that is the most assinine argument yet.

By that argument then you shouldn't be able to fly a Spit one sortie, a Pony the next, then a Buff, then maybe jump into a tank, as that didn't happen either.....in real life.

You can also if you like change skins EACH sortie, geez I bet that happened all the time.......in real life.

You are missing the entire point of my argument.  Either you have not read or you too shallow to soak up all that has been argued.  Let me see if I can spell it out for you ... slowly...  ...

My argument is against simply swapping out wing tips on a specific Spitfire model as pilots see fit "between sorties".  It didn't happen in WWII.  Wing tips were swapped out when unit roles changed or they arrived that way from the factory. 

You speak if a whole spectrum of things that didn't happen in WWII (swapping paint jobs, changing planes, etc)... learn to differentiate the difference between gameplay and model specifics.  I am not advocating to change the game play so once you fire up the Spit8 when you sign up you cant fly something else until you create a new account.  I'm not advocating only to be able to have one paint skin for that entire account either.  Those are game play specifics, not plane model specifics.  When you hop from one plane to the next or swap out the skin of a plane for another the base model of the plane stays the same.

Hold fast your tongue before you call something "assinine" for as you made it clear 'tis your lack of comprehension and reason skills that have made you a product of your accusation.     
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2008, 11:30:34 AM »
You are missing the entire point of my argument.  Either you have not read or you too shallow to soak up all that has been argued.  Let me see if I can spell it out for you ... slowly...  ...

My argument is against simply swapping out wing tips on a specific Spitfire model as pilots see fit "between sorties".  It didn't happen in WWII.  Wing tips were swapped out when unit roles changed or they arrived that way from the factory. 

You speak if a whole spectrum of things that didn't happen in WWII (swapping paint jobs, changing planes, etc)... learn to differentiate the difference between gameplay and model specifics.  I am not advocating to change the game play so once you fire up the Spit8 when you sign up you cant fly something else until you create a new account.  I'm not advocating only to be able to have one paint skin for that entire account either.  Those are game play specifics, not plane model specifics.  When you hop from one plane to the next or swap out the skin of a plane for another the base model of the plane stays the same.

Hold fast your tongue before you call something "assinine" for as you made it clear 'tis your lack of comprehension and reason skills that have made you a product of your accusation.     

I'll make it easy - It would be NO different from having 2 SEPERATE Spit V's (or whichever one) in the game, one clipped, one full span. You would just choose from the hanger which 'version' you wanted.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2008, 02:01:32 PM »
I'll make it easy - It would be NO different from having 2 SEPERATE Spit V's (or whichever one) in the game, one clipped, one full span. You would just choose from the hanger which 'version' you wanted.

I was trying to say this earlier, but i do not think he understood.  He can't get around the thought of ground crews removing wingtips or modifying aircraft between sorties.

Perk option to remove wingtips on those aircraft which had them in service would make sense to me - more variants represented with minimal fuss.  But then of course there are all sorts of complexities with different rated engines etc.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2008, 03:39:36 PM »

Having two entirely seperate models would be the better way to do what is being suggested, that way if you want the Spit V w/ clipped wings for dive bombing then the ord packages would be avilable for that version and not the Spit V with the tips for the air to air... otherwise we'll have hybrids that were not actually used.  Swapping wing tips in the hanger is not condusive to keeping the models accurate, imo.  No sense in making each Spitfire a hybrid like the Spit16 is... were not most of the Spit16 equiped squadrons assigned an attack role, do we see much of the air to ground Spit16?       

Oh and Furball, it isnt that I refuse to accept that the ground crews didnt change the tips, it is the fact that they did not do those changes between eqach and every sortie.  Those changes were made... again... when the unit changed roles and not per pilot descretion each and every sortie.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.