Author Topic: Ta152  (Read 2129 times)

Offline SkyTiger

• Copper Member
Re: Ta152
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 10:53:39 AM »
I have a hard time believing that an aircraft with our Ta-152's handling characteristics would ever have been put into production.

Isn't the Ta-152 considered a 'high altitude' fighter though? It was designed to excell at high altitude. Historically many dogfights occured up high as opposed to what I've seen in AH which takes place mostly under 10k. What doesn't work so well for us may have worked well historically.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 10:55:46 AM »
I only use it to hunt bombers.

Same here.  She is absolutely brutal to any bomber in the AH inventory!
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 11:17:22 AM »
It was me, I thought few 30mm hits would kill your boston but surprisingly you stayed alive and pinged me. I wounded but managed to land.

AH-Film: http://www.savanne.org/ah/ta152.zip

Pics:

(Image removed from quote.)

That was fun.  :salute  I wish the Boston had .50s instead - or that my aim didn't suck.
It was funny hearing Tripl5 crying. We have a few guys on the knights that do that.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline JB11

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 11:58:38 AM »
Why? It definitely does not handle as sweetly in terms of straight-forward stability as its 190 cousins, but it is not too terribly difficult to take off, fly, or land. If it bites you occasionally in hard maneuvers...well, consider that LW fighters were meant more for BNZing than putting on aerobatic exhibitions.

In that I agree with this part of the statement, it is not handled the same from person to person.  I can remember flying numberous sorties with JB42 and him having the most difficult time landing that thing w/o losing a gear or two.  I am not taking anything away from him.  As everyone knows, he is excellent in LW A/C.  I am only stating that I had no problem handling one where another found it extremely difficult upon landing.  We all have a different feel for different things.

:salute
Never abandon the possibility of attack. Attack even from a position of inferiority, to disrupt the enemy's plans. This often results in improving one's own position. - General Adolf Galland, Luftwaffe
Proverbs 3:5,6

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 12:15:44 PM »
Isn't the Ta-152 considered a 'high altitude' fighter though? It was designed to excell at high altitude. Historically many dogfights occured up high as opposed to what I've seen in AH which takes place mostly under 10k. What doesn't work so well for us may have worked well historically.
It has some characteristics that make it very dodgy.  In reality, it was rushed through production, before some of the development prototypes were halfway done (or something of that degree) with their assigned trials. Many, probably nearly all of the pre-production models were put into service before the end of the dev cycle too. The development feedback from evaluation in active squadrons and official evaluation crews was between a mix of brilliance and some worrying flaws (and some overall praising comments such as one top pilot calling it his life insurance in the last days of the war), and really damning comments from the Rechlin evaluation officials.  One of these actualy said something to the effect that one particular flaw could only be fixed, as far as he said, by modifications that were unacceptable (reducing fuel tank mass).  This specificaly matches our plane.
There were also some issues of stability (again like ours), though they can't really be seen in-game as described in the literature because we have perfectly still air.

All in all, it was a very promising design that was nearly stillborn because of Germany's state of attrition. I can't recall where I saw it, but at some point it even says one development crew or other that worked on the plane had to get their drinking water from the firefighting supplies.  A batch of planes waiting to be delivered were strafed on the factory (IIRC) airfield.

Landing it isn't difficult; only there's a pretty thin line of no return, since it's pretty heavy (lots of momentum) in unfavorable spots (the tail) and the gear is pretty flimsy.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 12:35:39 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline ColSuave

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 01:59:49 PM »
It sucks so bad that it doesn't even deserve a thread drawing attention to it.

:rofl i think not
the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Boozeman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 03:51:49 PM »
Why? The Ta drop tank is a wonderful thing. Carrying one doesn't hurt your performance after dropping it.

Well, the DT rack does hurt the performance a bit, it will reduce Vmax by about 4-5 mph, While that does not sound like a lot, it may be a problem when trying to get away from certain aircraft, where really every mph available matters.

Now about the landing issue. We all know it can be quite a handful when landing, but there is a remedy for that. Just before touchdown, reduce throttle and RPM to the minimum. This will make the landing no harder than in the other 190s, just dont come in too fast. 

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 03:58:41 PM »
Why? The Ta drop tank is a wonderful thing. Carrying one doesn't hurt your performance after dropping it. 50%+DT when hunting high-alt buffs, Vbase defense or deep strikes, 25%+DT for close furballs or field defense.

That's what I've always done as well.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 04:00:00 PM »
Guess we should eliminate the "Ensign Eliminator" then.   Nix the the ground looping Corsair! 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 04:06:51 PM »
Well, the DT rack does hurt the performance a bit, it will reduce Vmax by about 4-5 mph,

The drop tank doesn't hurt Vmax after being dropped. Top speed is the same has if having taken up the Ta in clean configuration from the field.

The Ta 152H had a special permanent low-drag drop tank mounting:

« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 04:09:14 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2008, 02:59:15 AM »
Will you quit giving away valuable info for free?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Boozeman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2008, 03:45:17 AM »
The drop tank doesn't hurt Vmax after being dropped. Top speed is the same has if having taken up the Ta in clean configuration from the field.

The Ta 152H had a special permanent low-drag drop tank mounting:

Well, before the Ta152 facelift, this was indeed true, but not anymore. Vmax drops trom 363 to 358 on the deck with WEP, and from 333 to 328 without.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2008, 05:40:24 AM »
They are superb 262 killers

But easy landings. uh! Don't think I've ever re-armed one.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2008, 05:44:31 AM »
Amazing how people start arguing of quality of the plane and forget original question.  :lol :D
I am a spy!

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2008, 05:50:23 AM »
Amazing how people start arguing of quality of the plane and forget original question.  :lol :D

Not a very good question. I sure didn't understand it. However, thought I would point out the merits of the plane since the title is TA152.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter