Author Topic: Bristol Beaufighter  (Read 201027 times)

Offline NEARY

• Nickel Member
      • The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas
Re: Bristol Beaufighter
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2009, 06:42:45 PM »
while the halifax and wellington were both very important i think that the beaufighter should ccome before them because they are both are pretty close to lancaster ( but not comepletly) but if we get the beaufighter it will create a new kind of game, the beaufighter would also be great for Special events and since it has so much firpower and such versatility it will definatly not become a hangar queen. plus it just looks cool!

ps: im not saying the wellington and halifax shouldn't be added but if it was a vote by the AH community im sure that the beaufighter would win. and that both of the other 2 bombers should be added too just a lil later.
The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas.since tour 97.        CO: KCTHUNDR(me)
 ( NEARY tours 96- 107) 2nd in command: Penguin. www.freewebs.com/18thfg   in game i.d.: KCTHUNDR

OBey Teh ChIHuaHUa!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!11!!!1

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2009, 07:37:49 PM »
410 should still come before the Beaufighter. It makes a 110G look like a french soldier.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2009, 08:39:58 PM »
410 should still come before the Beaufighter. It makes a 110G look like a french soldier.
Brave?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2009, 09:17:42 PM »
Afraid of deodorant?
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2009, 09:39:14 PM »
Patriotic yes to the Beau
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 03:20:05 AM »

WTB a clue ?
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 01:09:54 PM »
You know the Fighter Collection at Duxford are rebuilding a Beaufighter to flying condition. Its beginning to take shape but last I heard they were having trouble sourcing suitable engines and props. There are post war Hercules engines around, but they would need a lot of modding to fit a Beaufighter.

http://www.fighter-collection.com/pages/aircraft/beaufighter/index.php

IIRC there is an Aussie museum working on getting a Beaufort flying too.

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2009, 10:57:18 AM »
Greebo I saw that Beaufighter being restored when I was at Duxford back in 1999, they must have hit some snags as it was up on it's gear then. 

The National Museum of the USAF already has a Beaufighter on display.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=492

I'll bet a few phone calls to the right people might result in access to the cockpit for photos..

[edit] Or you could look at the photos they provided which includes a cockpit shot.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 11:01:13 AM by Fencer51 »
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2009, 11:38:30 AM »
This was a successful and versatile airframe. Unfortunately it was most successful in roles that really aren't associated with the game, but I'm all for the Beau being included. Enjoy the sight. http://www.burmabeaufighters.com/pages/beaufighters.php
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2009, 06:23:52 PM »
Greebo I saw that Beaufighter being restored when I was at Duxford back in 1999, they must have hit some snags as it was up on it's gear then. 

The National Museum of the USAF already has a Beaufighter on display.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=492

I'll bet a few phone calls to the right people might result in access to the cockpit for photos..

[edit] Or you could look at the photos they provided which includes a cockpit shot. 

Yes you can get in to take pictures of any of there planes how ever it is a long process & it is just not open to the general public you must have a reason wanting access as well as be affiliated with an organization if I recall correctly. A link to an Australian aircraft. http://www.aarg.com.au/Beaufighter.htm
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 06:28:05 PM by lyric1 »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2009, 07:13:06 PM »
This was a successful and versatile airframe. Unfortunately it was most successful in roles that really aren't associated with the game, but I'm all for the Beau being included. Enjoy the sight. http://www.burmabeaufighters.com/pages/beaufighters.php

The only roll the Beaufighter had that really isn't associated with the game was as a night fighter.  The other rolls it was tasked with (anti-maritime, fighter/bomber) are all found in the MA.

Question is, which of the Beaufighters we'll get.  Would it be a regular Mark series or the Australian DAP version or maybe both?  In either case, the Beaufighter is a welcome addition to the EW and MW plane set and will see some life in the LW arenas as well.

ack-ack

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 07:16:21 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2009, 07:20:56 PM »
I would love the beaufighter or the wellington.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2009, 07:57:55 PM »
The only roll the Beaufighter had that really isn't associated with the game was as a night fighter.  The other rolls it was tasked with (anti-maritime, fighter/bomber) are all found in the MA.

Question is, which of the Beaufighters we'll get.  Would it be a regular Mark series or the Australian DAP version or maybe both?  In either case, the Beaufighter is a welcome addition to the EW and MW plane set and will see some life in the LW arenas as well.

ack-ack

The VIC would be representative of the Beau in all theatres, it would be the most likely model, but the mk21 (Aust version) would be good, with slightly heavier fire power and a good 2k bomb load.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2009, 08:13:53 PM »
The VIC would be representative of the Beau in all theatres, it would be the most likely model, but the mk21 (Aust version) would be good, with slightly heavier fire power and a good 2k bomb load.

I would think the Mark 21 would have a better survival chance and use in the LW arenas than earlier versions.  Speaking of which, wasn't the Mark VIC the torpedo carrying version?  I would have thought the Mark III (w/Hercules engines) or the Mark IV (with Merlin engines) would have been a more representative model in all theaters.  Though, with the VIC variant the Beaufighter could be an effective anti-maritime platform. 

You might even see some of those weird SAPPers flying the VIC around and leveling a town with the torpedos.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2009, 10:54:07 PM »
I would think the Mark 21 would have a better survival chance and use in the LW arenas than earlier versions.  Speaking of which, wasn't the Mark VIC the torpedo carrying version?  I would have thought the Mark III (w/Hercules engines) or the Mark IV (with Merlin engines) would have been a more representative model in all theaters.  Though, with the VIC variant the Beaufighter could be an effective anti-maritime platform. 

You might even see some of those weird SAPPers flying the VIC around and leveling a town with the torpedos.

ack-ack

OK I'm in full Beaufighter mode now that I've got all this time :)

Best options for the game should that day ever arrive.

Beaufighter VI, Beaufighter TFX and if spoiled, Aussie built Beaufighter 21. 

Modeling would be the same with the modified dihedral tail plane on all 3.  Only real difference between the TFX and 21 would be 6 303s vs 4 50s in the 21. Performance wise they'd be the same. Some TFX had the wing guns removed and extra fuel tanks installed.

TFX would be the torpedo version as well as the rocket bird although I think some late VI also carried rockets.  The first use of rockets being in June 44 with Coastal Command Beau's although they didn't refine it until 44.   VI had bombs added at some point but was more of a 20mms and 303s attack bird.  The Aussies in the PTO first started using bombs on their Beau's in late June 43.

Aussies used the VI to great effect in the PTO in 42-44.  RAF used the VI and X in the CBI extensively.  MTO saw the Beau used all over the place, and of course the Beau's of Coastal Command were doing the Norway runs as well as D-Day support.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters