Author Topic: White Phosphorus munitions a bad thing????  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
White Phosphorus munitions a bad thing????
« on: January 12, 2009, 09:33:59 AM »
1 dead, dozens injured in Gaza by suspected white phosphorus munitions

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-fg-phosphorus12-2009jan12,0,2138761.story

Big deal or not a big deal??? I think war should be waged all out no matter what. Any time you leave anything behind you create a bigger problem down the road.

Although there apparently was an agreement in 1980 on prohibiting its use on civilian populations. However in a situation like Gaza you really can't control where the enemy is and where it isn't so its a moot point to me.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2005/11/mil-051116-rferl03.htm
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Re: White Phosphorus munitions a bad thing????
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 09:36:35 AM »
  That stuff in among civilians is nasty, but thats the price of waging guerrilla warfare. Who is the civilians?

~AoM~

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 09:44:44 AM »
The LA times article of course mentions many different names which all sound Arabic to me.
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 10:07:51 AM »
People only worry about it because it appeared on TV. If it wasn't filmed not a word would have been said. A cynical view but probably true.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 10:19:06 AM »
Civilians?? Which ones are those? They live among the combatants and do not point them out, makes them just as bad.

Funny you see less "concern" when the rockets were coming from Gaza as opposed to going into. It's nice to see a country not ran by a bunch of pansies. Here in the US they would sit on their hands. They would not want to upset anyone.

It's sad that anyone in this day and time wants to poke another in the eye. But there are evil folks all over the world.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:20:42 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 10:33:19 AM »
Civilians?? Which ones are those? They live among the combatants and do not point them out, makes them just as bad.

Funny you see less "concern" when the rockets were coming from Gaza as opposed to going into. It's nice to see a country not ran by a bunch of pansies. Here in the US they would sit on their hands. They would not want to upset anyone.

It's sad that anyone in this day and time wants to poke another in the eye. But there are evil folks all over the world.

LOL! I'd like to see you pointing fingers in Gaza with armed-to-teeth combatants hiding next door. Not only you but your whole family will get beheaded in a snap.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 10:42:30 AM »
It's nice to see a country not ran by a bunch of pansies. Here in the US they would sit on their hands. They would not want to upset anyone.
I think you are wrong. The US would not have waited 8 years if rockets were flying over from, lets say, Mexico. Mexico would have gone up in smoke while "embedded" reporters would be taken out for a spin in the desert, to take pictures of dust (best trick ever). Heck, even if the US didn't know who attacked it, some random country was attack for it... err.. I meant would be attacked....
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 10:44:33 AM »
LOL! I'd like to see you pointing fingers in Gaza with armed-to-teeth combatants hiding next door. Not only you but your whole family will get beheaded in a snap.

Then I guess you'll have to put up with the airstrikes hitting your house.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 10:58:19 AM »

If you can't then move. If you stay you put your family at risk. It is not Israel's fault. The are protecting their own. Would be up to you to do the same.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 11:03:30 AM »
I read about this yesterday on BBC ,

here"s a movie also,  must be one of those 155mm shell , but who knows what's loaded with, looks like some burning material , maybe it's  used for smokescreen only.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7823078.stm

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 11:05:19 AM »
I agree with bozon it took way to long for the politicians here to understand people living in bomb shelters is not acceptable.
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 12:31:35 PM »
I honestly could care less. I was generally asking if and when those items were outlawed.

I personally like the way the Romans dealt with waging war...to the victor goes the spoils and that includes the slaves as well. When they beat a tribe (what 90% of all the "wars" they fought then were at that time) or series of tribes they took the non-combatants into slavery and sent them off to other parts of the empire. That was to create an easier place to rule over and settle for their people instead of constantly having to fight all the time.
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline DJ111

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 12:37:15 PM »
They kill people in war?

Zomg!

:O
Retired CO of the ancient **Flying Monkeys** CT squadron.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 12:45:09 PM »

ya, because the combatents are watching you 24/7.  :rolleyes:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 12:47:58 PM »
Funny you see less "concern" when the rockets were coming from Gaza as opposed to going into.

yup, thats because they are hardly a threat. deaths inside Israel from rocket and mortar attacks 2001-2008: 17. thats about 2.5 a year. deaths from paracetamol use in Israel per year: about 40.

I'm not saying its not frightening, just saying that you have less chance of being killed by a Hamas rockets in Israel than ... pretty much anything else.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli