Author Topic: Do you like modern day air combat ?  (Read 2859 times)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Re: Do you like modern day air combat ?
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2009, 02:33:44 AM »
1. Modeling the physics of the equipment CORRECTLY is about as complicated as the aerodynamics of the plane itself (or even more). Because of this reason, modern era sims either compromise on all aspects, or concentrate on the equipment since, lets face it, this is what wins these fights. Even then, the performance of radars, missiles and sensors is greatly over estimated. The enormous modeling complexity would mean that you will have a very small available plane selection - if HTC would like to maintain its modeling superiority (at least in most aspects) over other games that is.

2. ACM does exist because real weapons systems fail very often in real life. Radars still loose contact, missiles still get confused and electronic warfare is a great big unknown (closely guarded secrets). If those are modeled right, it may happen in the game too. However, the speeds which are typically more than double those of WWII and quadruple those of WWI mean that you are fighting an enemy which appears as a single pixel on the screen most of the time, except occasionally when he streaks by. In this respect, WWII and WWI flight sims are MUCH more attractive to a computer gamer.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2009, 07:54:14 AM »
id like a 1948 sort of game. Jets, but still with guns, not with missiles
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »
id like a 1948 sort of game. Jets, but still with guns, not with missiles

Korea is what you want. ;)
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2009, 05:49:11 PM »

or WWII continued. kinda like IL2 1946 although ive never played it.
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2009, 08:10:41 AM »
Yeah... well, it's not that different from the normal IL2...

Why wanting something fictional when you can have a real war that basically meets all of your parameters? ;)
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline chewie86

• Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2009, 10:30:09 AM »

mig-15 *drool*
Lube & Shame "peneduro"
My AH2 videos
SDL SEASON 1 Champions:
Loose Deuce
, ~Black Leather & Pink Slippers~

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2009, 10:48:51 AM »
I enjoy the planes of modern aviation in the flying role as they are sexy and can make some wicked moves. I don't care for them in the fighting role, though.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline wnt2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2009, 11:44:46 AM »
Live well is full Kazaa...return to port  :D

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2009, 12:22:20 PM »
One thing I've noticed about modern a-a combat (imo) is that the engagement is far more dependent on the first move off the merge compared to WW2 combat in Aces High. 

Like I said earlier, I've been dogfighting jets in Falcon 4 for about 10 years now.  Rarely do I get into a fight that can go the distance like an AH2 fight can.  You hit the merge, make your move (provided the engagement got to a merge) and then the fight becomes exceptionally lethal very quickly. 

One other thing that is a huge paradigm shift, something I've been reading alot on lately, is the concept of being thrust limited.  Flying a jet like the F-16/F-15, it is possible to crank in a hard turn and still be accelerating.  One of the things I had to unlearn converting from a year of hard flying in AH2 back to modern jets is that there is no reason in an F-16 to go booming through the merge with excessive energy.  I want to come in there at or near my corner velocity and then power through the turn using careful throttle management. 

The differences are striking.  I can certainly understand why modern air combat wouldn't appeal to everyone though.

I don't think a sim like Falcon 4 is suited to an online game like AH2.  Korea, though, would be a very nice addition!
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline DakOne

• Zinc Member
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2009, 07:12:09 PM »
Korean war would be awesome. Would love to take up an F86 against a mig lol.

Offline ScottyK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2009, 12:57:21 AM »
Limited missles.     high speeds and altitude.  Having to fire off flares and chaff while breaking   im all for that.   vietnam era would be a great addition
Childhood is over the moment you know your gonna die.  Fight not to Fail, or end up like the others.   In my crate, im the commander.

IGN: Scotty57

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2009, 05:33:17 AM »
well IMHO you dont want to dogfight in modern warfare. why put a 20 million dollar plane in jepordy. thats the whole premise with missiles to start with

Offline Whitey33

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2009, 03:45:57 PM »
No
www.ilmavoimat.fi/index_en.php  Finnish Air Force

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »
I've always liked to dogfight in Falcon 4.0 with guns only - realistic? not much, fun? yes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwcaZ1kxwps
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline TUK

• Silver Member
      • 13MPG
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2009, 06:52:51 PM »
I would like  a veitnam era, huey-gunship game, or perhaps a desert storm scenario with a-10's vs. tanks and anti aircraft.. Someone mentioned the sabres vs. mig's, that also would be good.. I used to have a game on playstation 1, think it was called Desert Storm. One level had a bradely with anti-tank capabilities, was a cool ride through the desert, blowing things up..  Those are my interests, i like aces high, havent had a playsation in years.... Tuk151  :aok
CO WD40 (FSO)
Death From Above (DFA) - Main Arena