Author Topic: Ki-61  (Read 2750 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Re: Ki-61
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 03:48:35 PM »
Flaps don't improve the Ki-61's turn performance.

They might not help the rate of turn but unless the chart is out and out lying they improve the turn radius.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 03:49:08 PM »
Correct, and the turn-rate decreases.  If the Ki-61 had better thrust-drag then things might be otherwise.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 03:51:48 PM »
Fine, I recall that it has the same sort of bug as the P-51. Anyway, we can be glad it doesn't have the FM2 like turning of the original, 'cause that would be scary.  :confused:
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 03:52:23 PM »

I realize I am a "crappy sim pile-it", but I prefer to know the Ki-61 inside and out.   I do.

I'll refrain from posting in this thread anymore.   I just wish some "experts" would stop trying to misinform people and perspective newcomers.   This is the thing that bothers me most.  
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 03:53:48 PM »
lol Karaya.  I've tested its turn performance with a stop watch with different flap settings, and those are the results I achieved.  If you have done likewise and have different results, then please post them for my edification.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 03:58:44 PM »
I realize I am a "crappy sim pile-it", but I prefer to know the Ki-61 inside and out.   I do.

I'll refrain from posting in this thread anymore.   I just wish some "experts" would stop trying to misinform people and perspective newcomers.   This is the thing that bothers me most.  

First and last time I flew it serious was in frame 1 of FSO-Back to Tokyo. I was green as a frog back then. My squad got bounced by superior numbers of Corsairs and Hellcats.

I RTB'ed with two Corsair kills.

Then re-armed and "tragically crashed" because I was tired, forgot to stow the flaps before takeoff, and hit alt-x... :cry :D

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 04:02:08 PM »
lol Karaya.  I've tested its turn performance with a stop watch with different flap settings, and those are the results I achieved.  If you have done likewise and have different results, then please post them for my edification.

It's not worth the time.   I've flown it a helluva lot more than most in this game (including yourself).  I KNOW what this plane can and can't do.   Spit 16's are easy meat against the Ki61.   Throw in the Spit 1 - 8 and you have to favor the Spit (pilot dependent).    Again, refer to folks listed in my first post.

Stop watch?    :rofl    Means nothing to me, but I commend your effort (Again, I don't use flaps in 99% of the craft I fly, so this doesn't apply to me and a lot of other people who fly similarly and inferior to others).   All you have to do is read the write up of it in the AH Wiki.   It's laughable at best, not to mention biased.  

Spikes, it is a fun plane and it's more fun embarrassing Late War dependent folks with "such an inferior craft."     Spikes, feel free to PM if you need any help or tips.    
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 04:07:15 PM »
I thought you weren't posting in this thread anymore?
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 04:08:43 PM »
Spikes, it is a fun plane and it's more fun embarrassing Late War dependent folks with "such an inferior craft."     Spikes, feel free to PM if you need any help or tips.    
Hopefully I'll catch you on the Rooks sometime and we can do a few sorties. Not that I'm any good, but I think I might be able to hold my own. Hopefully I'll be flying this more when I know there's either a CV fight or a nice low level furball.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 04:16:54 PM »
It turns nicely, and doesn't sacrifice airframe integrity like the Zero or Spit does, which out weigh the turn performance in my book.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2009, 06:11:39 PM »
I don't fly it alot anymore, but when I do it's a sweet little ride. My very first sortie in one was a couple of years ago. I remember that fight because it was the first time I ever won outnumbered (and probably the only time).  I got into a 3 v 1 with a trio of P-51Ds on the deck.  I killed 2 in a turn fight and then ran the last one down when he tried to bug out.  I the long run he might have got away but the 20mm made the difference.  It seems to have some early model 109 characteristics paired with excellent dive qualities.  But I suck so my info is crap anyway.  :furious
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2009, 06:41:58 PM »
Ki-61 sucks, period.

:noid
Tours 86 - 296

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2009, 06:45:12 PM »
Fine, I recall that it has the same sort of bug as the P-51. Anyway, we can be glad it doesn't have the FM2 like turning of the original, 'cause that would be scary.  :confused:
What is this P-51 bug you speak of?
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2009, 06:47:09 PM »
What is this P-51 bug you speak of?
The p-47 is a ballerina compared to the 51 when more than 2 notches of flaps are used.
See Rule #4

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2009, 06:49:21 PM »
The p-47 is a ballerina compared to the 51 when more than 2 notches of flaps are used.
Excuse my ignorance, but is that wrong?  I remember reading that the 47 and 51 used different types of flaps, and the 47's produced more lift... Or am I misremembering?
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D