Author Topic: Perk the Wirblewind and Ostwind  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Perk the Wirblewind and Ostwind
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 04:06:44 PM »
5 eny on the ww and I'm good.

Slightly OT.
Lusche were you not stating some time ago you feel WW traverse speed is too fast?

Yes. The whole turret was hand cranked and rotated at 27°/s. Our WW in AH2 rotates with ~60°/s, which was only achieved in prototypes with a hydraulic system, which to my knowledge had never been in serial production.

Also we have a to high ROF. Sustained fire was only possible when firing two barrels at once, while the other two were reloaded by the crew at the same time. The gunner could either fore both pairs at once (max ROF) and then wait until new mags had been inserted, or alternately shooting with one pair for sustained fire at half ROF.

Even just adjusting the turret rotation speed (would be easier to do than adjusting ROF/reload considerations) would reduce notably WW's effectiveness as an AA vehicle.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 04:09:33 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 04:09:04 PM »
Have any idea how many 20mm each clip held?
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 04:11:58 PM »
Yes. The whole turret was hand cranked and rotated at 27°/s. Our WW in AH2 rotates with ~60°/s, which was only achieved in prototypes with a hydraulic system, which to my knowledge had never been in serial production.

Also we have a to high ROF. Sustained fire was only possible when firing two barrels at once, while the other two were reloaded by the crew at the same time. The gunner could either fore both pairs at once (max ROF) and then wait until new mags had been inserted, or alternately shooting with one pair for sustained fire at half ROF.

Even just adjusting the turret rotation speed (would be easier to do than adjusting ROF/reload considerations) would reduce notably WW's effectiveness as an AA vehicle.

You know..If the WW was speced to this, I'd see no need to even adjust eny.
See Rule #4

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 04:17:48 PM »
Have any idea how many 20mm each clip held?

Each clip = 20 shots. Stored in the turret were 16 magazines (8 on each side, see the racks on picture below) = 320 rounds. The rest was carried in the hull, handed up to the loaders by the radioman.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 04:23:17 PM »
The reduce turret rotation would make a BIG difference. As it stands, even working in pairs coming from opposite directions trying to strafe one WW with heavy cannon fire is suicidal for BOTH because of how quickly the WW can switch targets.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 04:23:31 PM »
Lusche:  

Is there anything you DON'T know?  :)
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 04:29:49 PM »
Lusche:  

Is there anything you DON'T know?  :)

Ever noticed I stay out of almost all technical discussion about specific planes on this BBS because of my somewhat superficial knowledge on details & engineering? That I'm not posting in any threads about aerodynamics or ACM? Almost no word from me operational history of Allied forces & equipment? That I never argue with Widewing not because I always agree, but because he's mostly talking about things I don't even knew they existed? ;)

In this case, I just happen to have a very detailed book about the Wirbelwind. That's all. :D

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 04:31:27 PM »
Ever noticed I stay out of almost all technical discussion about specific planes on this BBS because of my somewhat superficial knowledge on details & engineering? That I'm not posting in any threads about aerodynamics or ACM? Almost no word from me operational history of Allied forces & equipment? That I never argue with Widewing not because I always agree, but because he's mostly talking about things I don't even knew they existed? ;)

In this case, I just happen to have a very detailed book about the Wirbelwind. That's all. :D

Well I can guarantee this one thing:  you know a HELL of a lot more than I do
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 04:38:07 PM »
Each clip = 20 shots. Stored in the turret were 16 magazines (8 on each side, see the racks on picture below) = 320 rounds. The rest was carried in the hull, handed up to the loaders by the radioman.

(Image removed from quote.)

Jeez. Either one of these changes would limit it's effectiveness and use. I've noticed whenever I go to pork a Vbase, just one con, there seems to be 5 wirbles sitting there ready to spray at me.
Even a 1 second pause in between each clip would be nice. That or the lower ROF. Even that, or the traverse speed being lowered. Any one of those, pretty please?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 04:42:39 PM »
Jeez. Either one of these changes would limit it's effectiveness and use. I've noticed whenever I go to pork a Vbase, just one con, there seems to be 5 wirbles sitting there ready to spray at me.
Even a 1 second pause in between each clip would be nice. That or the lower ROF. Even that, or the traverse speed being lowered. Any one of those, pretty please?

Somehow I doubt we will see any modification in the near future. Reload times for clip firing weapons aren't modeled in planes either, and I'm aware that there might be some more extensive coding necessary to implement such a thing.
Concerning the turret traverse rate, I'm afraid I (or someone else) would have bring some original documents as a source, not a book, however credible and well documented it may seem to be.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 05:17:05 PM »
Concerning the turret traverse rate, I'm afraid I (or someone else) would have bring some original documents as a source, not a book, however credible and well documented it may seem to be.

How did HTC arrive at its current traverse rate?  For such a specific topic it's very unlikely your book is based on different sources than what HTC used.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2009, 05:53:18 PM »
How did HTC arrive at its current traverse rate?  For such a specific topic it's very unlikely your book is based on different sources than what HTC used.

I vaguely remember one American publication wrongly stating "powered traverse" for the Wirbelwind, which seems to have spread. You can find that claim on a few sites on the web.

But on what base HTC did model the Wirbel I could only speculate, but I'm not interested in that.
I will see if I can dig something up myself in the near future ;)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 05:56:10 PM by Lusche »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 06:12:13 PM »
To clarify the turret rotation a bit:

The gun on Wirbelwind was a standard 2-cm Flakvierling 38. This gun, not being modified at all, rotated by the gunner using a hand cranker. You can even see it rotate in our Wirbelwind in game (albeit much too slow).

The turret itself was connected to the flak gun with simply two telescopic arms and thus did "follow" the gun.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 06:16:47 PM by Lusche »

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2009, 06:20:25 PM »
I hope HTC is following this thread, I'm really digging the discussion and ideas. 

At this point in the state of the game, Wirblewinds are so common for people to take for GV-AA that I think either something needs to be done to add more variety in GV-AA (or just less wirbles).  That or I suggest considering renaming the game from "Aces High" to "Planes and Wirbles".
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2009, 11:38:45 PM »
If there were a way to code it:

Make it so the wirbel costs perks when you spawn it, but it's free at your own base.  As the anti-vulching vehicle extraordinaire, it has a legitimate place in the game... but for griefing air-air fights right next to the defender's base it is inappropriate.

Brilliant! :aok

Or, perhaps technically easier, perk the wirbel lightly but add quad 20mm field guns. That don't go out from a sandwich being dropped on them.

Do not perk the Ostwind. Its effectiveness does not merit perking whatever its rarity may have been.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."