Author Topic: Dual core patch still needed with XP SP3?  (Read 906 times)

Offline 715

• Silver Member
Dual core patch still needed with XP SP3?
« on: February 08, 2009, 09:41:19 PM »
In another thread Skuzzy mentioned a fps benchmark for AH.  I have a system almost identical to the one he mentioned (except 3GHz vs 3.7Ghz OC) but I get only 60 fps (vsync was off) where he mentioned > 150.  Does the dual core patch mentioned in this sticky thread: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,199451.0.html still need to be applied to XP Pro SP3?  Can this old patch be applied without clobbering new stuff?

I do notice in Perfmon that when AH is running neither CPU gets above about 50-65% utilization.

Thanks.

(3.0 GHz E8400, 4GB DDR2 800, HD4850 512M stock clock GPU, Win XP Pro SP3, 512 textures, 1280x1024, 4XAA, 0xAF, offline ndisles A1 NE runway single B24, detail/range at max quality, min/min gives 90 fps)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Dual core patch still needed with XP SP3?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 09:42:19 PM »
Did you check AH video settings, make sure they weren't capped at 60 in that screen?

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 12:31:47 AM »
Did you check AH video settings, make sure they weren't capped at 60 in that screen?

Yeah, not capped.  (I get 92 fps with minimum detail/range.)

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 09:50:21 PM »
In another thread Skuzzy mentioned a fps benchmark for AH.  I have a system almost identical to the one he mentioned (except 3GHz vs 3.7Ghz OC) but I get only 60 fps (vsync was off) where he mentioned > 150.  Does the dual core patch mentioned in this sticky thread: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,199451.0.html still need to be applied to XP Pro SP3?  Can this old patch be applied without clobbering new stuff?

I do notice in Perfmon that when AH is running neither CPU gets above about 50-65% utilization.

Thanks.

(3.0 GHz E8400, 4GB DDR2 800, HD4850 512M stock clock GPU, Win XP Pro SP3, 512 textures, 1280x1024, 4XAA, 0xAF, offline ndisles A1 NE runway single B24, detail/range at max quality, min/min gives 90 fps)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256

I interpret it as only for SP2 users. When I tried to install it after SP3 it gave a dialog that said the file was older then the presently installed.

I'd hate to think this is like the AMD update that has to be installed before SP3. I doubt that's the case though.
Animl (from the ashes of Air Warrior nation) http://home.comcast.net/~animl/

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 11:02:56 PM »
Someone explained to me that the AMD dual core patch is contained within SP3. Either way, after I updated my old machine to SP3 I tried to re-install the patch and it said the version I already had was the most recent and AH saw both cores.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 12:34:19 AM »
Thanks.

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 03:28:38 AM »
Someone explained to me that the AMD dual core patch is contained within SP3. Either way, after I updated my old machine to SP3 I tried to re-install the patch and it said the version I already had was the most recent and AH saw both cores.

From SoftwarePatch.com http://tinyurl.com/6cbzbo

If you have an AMD processor and are considering upgrading to Windows Service Pack 3 (SP3), then it is important that you apply this patch before SP3. Otherwise, your system may possibly get stuck in a loop of reboots that will stop Windows XP from starting.

On a technical level, there is a problem with the way that the System Preparation (Sysprep) image is created. According to one explanation offered by Microsoft "The problem may occur if the original Sysprep image for Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1), for Windows XP SP2, or for Windows XP SP3 is created on a computer that uses an Intel processor and is then deployed on a computer that does not use an Intel processor. In this configuration, the Intel processor driver (Intelppm.sys) may try to load after the computer is upgraded to Windows XP SP2 or to Windows XP SP3. The driver does this because an orphaned registry key remains from the original Sysprep image." In these cases you may also see the following error messages:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer...

Technical information:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, [number1], [number2], [number3])
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_H ANDLED

When Physical Address Extensions (PAE) is enabled, you may receive the following error message: STOP 0x000000FC (ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUT E_MEMORY)

[number1], [number2] and [number3] listed above will be random, alphanumeric and 10 digits long. However, 0x0000007E and 0xC0000005 will always be present for this type of error. Note 0x0000007E errors have multiple causes, but if it is an AMD processor and you have just installed SP3, there is a good bet that this patch will fix the issue. Ideally the patch should be applied before the Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 02:54:20 PM »
What about Intel dual core CPUs?  Is KB896256 needed for XP Pro SP3?  (The sticky post does mention using it for SP2).

When I have Process Explorer running behind AH it reports AH never uses any more than 50% total of total CPU power (AH does show up on both CPUs however).  If I do that with 3DMark06 it shows both CPUs at 100% for the CPU part of the check (and more than 50% for the other GPU parts).  Also, I get 3DMark06 scores that are very similar to reported scores for systems like mine (about 12,700).  But I get AH frame rates, under offline tests, about half what Skuzzy reported for a system he has that is similar to mine (except his is 3.7 GHz OC and mine stock at 3 GHz).

I'm just trying to see if it's worth it, or even advisable, to install KB896256 on my SP3 version of XP. 

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 03:15:37 PM »
More than just an overclocked CPU though.  My system also makes use of DDR2-1200 RAM running at 571Mhz.  The 4750 I used is the Sapphire Toxic version which also slightly overclocked from the ATI reference design.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 06:21:22 PM »
mine caps itself at 60 even though it can go unlimited and it just stays at 60 does anyone know how to over clock i want to do it to my cpu
snowey flying since tour 78

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 02:38:29 AM »
mine caps itself at 60 even though it can go unlimited and it just stays at 60 does anyone know how to over clock i want to do it to my cpu

Proper overclocking goes much further then the CPU voltages and timings. I suggest you read up on it, and your computer hardware before implementing changes. The whole system should be streamlined to get the full benefits of overclocking. Think of it as plumbing, changing to larger pipes to handle the extra water you just made. Many who OC don't complete the full task, therefore, IMO, making it somewhat worthless. There are also risk that must be considered. You'll need to know the bus system limits on the MB, Mem, Vid and CPU info.

The biggest part of machine latency is the hard drive. The CPU, Mem and Vid could be smoking fast,... you will be more limited\bottlenecked by the speed of accessing files from the HD. Especially in a game that is constantly loading graphics into that memory. Many glitches are caused by fragmented drivers,...just FYI.

There are plenty of OC guides that will include your CPU and MB etc..

Animl