Author Topic: Another Collision Whine  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Tr0jan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Another Collision Whine
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 03:24:21 PM »
IN  :D

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 03:26:39 PM »
Did you hit him.... no. You pointed your ac away from him. Well done.  He took no or little action yo avoid. Nothing to do with had it coming.

I took a reckless, unskilled, badly angled pass at an aircraft and got rewarded for it. 

not sure how you can say it was your fault either unless you can tell what is going on on his end.

:lol Of course it was my fault!  Regardless of who *saw* the collision, it was ultimately my offensive maneuver that caused the collision.  Could you imagine a guy zoomin down at you going 500 in a p51d, crashing into you on his end as you are on autopilot eating a chicken finger then hearing him on 200 saying "Nice Ram autopilot dweeb!"

Look, I'm just saying I think this particular circumstance of the collision model is lame.  I don't care enough about this one situation to post a thread about it or cry for it to be fixed to my liking.  Ultimately, I love the collision model and think it is genius the way it functions 95% of the time.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 03:32:47 PM by grizz441 »

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 03:31:49 PM »
I took a reckless, unskilled, badly angled pass at an aircraft and got rewarded for it. 

And yet you didn't hit.
See Rule #4

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 03:35:05 PM »
It obviously wasn't that badly angled if you were able to avoid him :D
It sucks that his ping or whatever caused his computer to render your aircraft in the wrong time and place, but it was no where near your fault, so you should not have been punished for it... and he didn't move out of the way, so there's no way he shouldn't have.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 03:36:08 PM »
And yet you didn't hit.

So let me get this straight, you have never been rammed by an aircraft and thought it was his fault even though he didn't get a collision message?

I will defend this collision model too when an uninformed player begins whining about it but cmon, there are rare situations that do occur where fault is assessed opposite as to what really happened.

It sucks that his ping or whatever caused his computer to render your aircraft in the wrong time and place, but it was no where near your fault, so you should not have been punished for it... and he didn't move out of the way, so there's no way he shouldn't have.

The fact that I didn't kill him with guns and that I zoomed 25 yds below him only to ram him on his end warrants me calling it 'a badly angled pass'
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 03:38:35 PM by grizz441 »

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 03:38:19 PM »
So let me get this straight, you have never been rammed by an aircraft and thought it was his fault even though he didn't get a collision message?

Only time is when I'm on the ground... as in when I can' maneuver taking off or stationary in a gv.
See Rule #4

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 03:38:46 PM »
Though this is pointed at bronk...
No, because if he didn't take damage then he took the appropriate measures to avoid me. How would it be his fault?

Offline 96Delta

• Nickel Member
      • Loose Cannons Alliance (LCA)  "Realize Your Potential"
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 03:43:18 PM »
This is also a pet peev of mine.

I simply do not understand why, when both planes
report that a collision has occured, both planes
don't crash.

Mid-air collisions are catastrophic events.
It is exceedingly rare for a plane to remain
airworthy after having one, especially when
the impact is highly kinetic.

Both should be dead or severely crippled and
near dead.

To be sure you are going to Heaven when you die  CLICK HERE.

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 03:47:11 PM »

I will defend this collision model too when an uninformed player begins whining about it but cmon, there are rare situations that do occur where fault is assessed opposite as to what really happened.

I haven't ever really thought it was the other guys "fault" only ever looked at it like it was either my fault or no one's. I see what you are trying to say though grizz but there are many times it is not anyone's fault.

I have had several near misses and if my adversary took damage because his computer "saw" a collision then it is on his end and if it was from a maneuver that I performed that appeared to me that I had room for then how can it be my fault that he fell to the ground or vice versa.

You can only base your decisions on the positions on your screen not on his so if no collision on your screen then there is no fault to you. Now in your example there is no fault you flew under a spit and he fell crashing to the ground, sounds to me like a no fault situation but non-the-less there was a collision on his computer and then things worked the way they should.

You obviously understand the collision model and like many of us feel it's the best possible solution but this is one of those things where sometimes there is no fault but action must still be taken.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 03:48:12 PM »
This is also a pet peev of mine.

I simply do not understand why, when both planes
report that a collision has occured, both planes
don't crash.

Depend on what part of the ac clips on each others front end.  You run head on an I jink lets say. On Your front end pilot gets whacked. On my end I clip a wing tip.
Your pilot is dead and I'm missing a wing tip. Get it?
See Rule #4

Offline 96Delta

• Nickel Member
      • Loose Cannons Alliance (LCA)  "Realize Your Potential"
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 03:50:43 PM »
Depend on what part of the ac clips on each others front end.  You run head on an I jink lets say. On Your front end pilot gets whacked. On my end I clip a wing tip.
Your pilot is dead and I'm missing a wing tip. Get it?
It doesn't happen that way.

One plane invariably dies and the other flies
on unscathed. 

To be sure you are going to Heaven when you die  CLICK HERE.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 03:55:27 PM »

on unscathed. 
So you're in the other guys cockpit and have access to his damage list now?
See Rule #4

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 04:01:21 PM »

on unscathed. 

No.

If both planes report a collision, both get damage.

The exact amount varies. Happened to me that I just lost just a gear or a flap from collision, though usually damage is more severe.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2009, 04:01:44 PM »

I haven't ever really thought it was the other guys "fault" only ever looked at it like it was either my fault or no one's. I see what you are trying to say though grizz but there are many times it is not anyone's fault.

I have had several near misses and if my adversary took damage because his computer "saw" a collision then it is on his end and if it was from a maneuver that I performed that appeared to me that I had room for then how can it be my fault that he fell to the ground or vice versa.

You can only base your decisions on the positions on your screen not on his so if no collision on your screen then there is no fault to you. Now in your example there is no fault you flew under a spit and he fell crashing to the ground, sounds to me like a no fault situation but non-the-less there was a collision on his computer and then things worked the way they should.

You obviously understand the collision model and like many of us feel it's the best possible solution but this is one of those things where sometimes there is no fault but action must still be taken.

When you pull a hard offensive maneuver and narrowly miss the enemy who happens to rip in half due to a collision *he* saw...I think it's silly to say that you pulled a good maneuver.  What you pulled was a lucky maneuver.  Most times when you narrowly miss a plane, but he gets the collision, it is blind luck.  I'd say most one ended collisions occur with one plane missing the collision by at most 50 yds.  The deviation of any offensive maneuver is greater than 50 yds, meaning you can't be accurate enough with your plane to where you are going to fly by a guy at 50 yds consistently.  Sometimes it will be 150 yds, other times you will ram him hard.  There are too many factors in play.  It's pure luck.  So to say, "Yeah I pulled hard into you and missed you by 25 yds because I am leet" is silly, you could have just as easily rammed him, or missed him by 200 yds.  So keeping that in mind, I say yes, the pilot performing the offensive move into the other player is to blame if a collision occurs even if he doesn't see it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 04:04:49 PM by grizz441 »

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2009, 04:06:22 PM »

I have never had a collision that I could give a rat's arse about (my fault / his fault) ... they are so infrequent and so unimportant in the greater scheme of things.

The level of pissed-offed-ness that people have concerning collisions boggles the mind.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."