Author Topic: Ki-84  (Read 5814 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Ki-84
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 10:42:56 PM »
Self confidence, not ego :aok

You're the only who'll believe that, so my statement still stands.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 10:46:31 PM »
The last time I flew a Ki84 I was honestly a bit disappointed. It's like a Spitfire that can take more damage but can't dive as well. Very simple to fly. Once you get slow enough for flaps, it can do anything.

While I agree that the Ki-84 has great performance, it doesn't have the gentle handling of the Spit.  The first few times I flew it I spun out without warning.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 11:22:45 PM »
How is it your new plane when its already mine  :noid

Plane is a beast, schools spits with the climb rate, makes hogs have no chance for easy shot, and can keep up witha K4 in a vertical fight, I consider it top 5 best fighter planes :salute

Ah, not really... SpitVIII and XVI out-climb it with relative ease. Ditto for most 109s. All of these accelerate much faster as well.

Where the Ki-84 excels is E retention and the ability to fly it to almost a stop nose high and still point the nose. It has great ailerons. Elevators get stiff at speed, so manual trim is required. Flaps are excellent, but you have to be bog slow to get them out, and they retract if you even think about nosing down (or so it seems).

I love it, and fly it. Get used to it's quirks and it's a killer. Top ten fighter MA for sure, but I wouldn't rate it top five. Too many others that are much faster, and/or have far more lethal guns.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 11:34:21 PM »
Trusted it against every spit I went again so far and I dont remeber the last spit that out preformed me in a eqaul 1v1, LA7 would be a harder matchup since it can out climb the ki, diving is hard but if you go into shallow dive spit wont gain but you wont pull away, anyplane that flat turns against my ki just lost the fight,ANY pilot.

Likewise I can't remember a Ki-84 thats beat me in a one on one while in a Spit XVI.  They do always put up a good fight though, I'll give them that.

DA?
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 01:12:28 AM »
According to Gonzo's the Ki-84, Spit VIII and 109G-14 (for example) are all about equal in acceleration, but in climbrate the Ki-84 is inferior, yes.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 02:40:10 AM »
Acceleration is climbrate and climbrate is acceleration.  Excess thrust gets turned into more speed or more altitude.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 03:36:00 AM »
Likewise I can't remember a Ki-84 thats beat me in a one on one while in a Spit XVI.  They do always put up a good fight though, I'll give them that.

DA?

In the DA setting the spit should have the advantage.  It will reverse more quickly than the Ki-84 can on the initial merge.  If the Ki-84 can survive the first two merges he can generally work his way back to a nuetral position and perhaps have a chance.  I'd say the Spit would win 7 or 8 out of 10 though.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 07:20:26 AM »

DA?

Ill PM you next time I see you on sir <S>

btw might have to do it in MA because I got this superlag when I go into the DA but MA is fine, we will just say meet in grid so and so ... you know the deal  :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 08:44:55 PM »
Ill PM you next time I see you on sir <S>

btw might have to do it in MA because I got this superlag when I go into the DA but MA is fine, we will just say meet in grid so and so ... you know the deal  :salute

Try the TA... Lots of empty fields and you can shoot the snot out of each other until the ammo is gone. I prefer it to the DA because you can get shot up, separate out of icon range and remerge. No waiting to get a new plane.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 08:58:22 PM »
Trusted it against every spit I went again so far and I dont remeber the last spit that out preformed me in a eqaul 1v1, LA7 would be a harder matchup since it can out climb the ki, diving is hard but if you go into shallow dive spit wont gain but you wont pull away, anyplane that flat turns against my ki just lost the fight,ANY pilot.

Considering the average skill of the Spitfire pilot in this game, it's not surprising someone with mediocre skills can defeat one in a Ki-84.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 11:48:28 PM »
Try the TA... Lots of empty fields and you can shoot the snot out of each other until the ammo is gone. I prefer it to the DA because you can get shot up, separate out of icon range and remerge. No waiting to get a new plane.

My regards,

Widewing
What so no damage in the TA or something, Ive been going in there looking for trainers lately to see about acouple "high-Speed" ACM lessons but never seems to be anyone.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2009, 02:30:14 PM »
Acceleration is climbrate and climbrate is acceleration.  Excess thrust gets turned into more speed or more altitude.

I would wager acceleration is a balance between thrust, drag, and weight (inertia) whereas climb rate is a balance between thrust, wing efficiency (lift) and weight.

You'll note the Ki84, 109G14, and spit16 all have very similar acceleration rates (just a couple seconds off from min to max), and yet the ki84 has a noticable drop in climb compared to the other two (700 fpm drop or more).

I wouldn't just say "acceleration is climb and climb is acceleration" -- there may be a link yes, but they are not always 1:1.

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009, 04:17:32 PM »
The good ki-84 sticks drain the fuel from the wings on transit to the fight :aok

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009, 04:30:24 PM »
You have to pay close attention to your ammo in the 84.  Those cannons burn through 300 rounds in a heartbeat.
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2009, 07:12:32 PM »
You have to pay close attention to your ammo in the 84.  Those cannons burn through 300 rounds in a heartbeat.

True but if you take close in shots, it usually only takes a burst to get a kill.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song